Non-Top 5 Horror Movies

I think horror films should be split into two categories, as there are a number that are more entertaining and rewatchable and some that are just for a one time viewing.
Horror does get the most criticism unfairly at times when it comes to rating from the critics than any other genre I feel.

I think the most scary and dark atmosphere horror film I've watched was The Entity (early 80s) Barbara Hershey, the music played a big part aswell but it was apparently based on true events of a woman who was getting sexually assaulted by a demonic poltergeist, at the end a scientist believes her and helps to try and catch it and it' shown in it's form for the first and only time to be this massive insane energy ball of light that is 40 foot high and the sound effects give it more tension, but it's strength allows it to escape the trap but it's a film that sticks with you.

But the horror films I enjoy the most and rewatch even if they're less scary are - Nightmare on Elm Street, The Lost Boys, Jaws, Dog Soldiers, Scream, The Thing and any of the Stephen King adapted movies even if alot of them were b movies.

The quality of horror films is not as good as it used to because the heavy use of CGI has often ruined alot of the modern ones and made them look less creative but there still has been some good ones in recent times - Bone Tomahawk with Kurt Russell 2015, Cabin in the Woods was decent and different. It Follows was good 2014 and I liked 'Smile' which came out last year. The Cube was a good film late 90's and they made a few more likes it recent times like Circle and Belko Experiment these are moral dilemma horror films similar to the premise of Saw.

I think the more recent ones that have been good have the antagonist using more psychological tactics to break down the protagonists mentally rather than the relying on the old ways of stab and kill.
Even the IT remake was alot like that and it was fairly good, Tim Currie is obviously a legend but Skarsgaard played IT very well.
Lost Boys is a stunningly good film, the soundtrack is amazing. Dog Soldiers is one I'd forgotten, well worth a watch. Some good recommendations in there.

In the IT remake, the bits where Pennywise's eyes are going in different directions isn't CGI, Skarsgaard heard the director wanted to do it with CGI and he showed that he can do it. Not a big fan of the remakes but agree that he played the part very well.

Lost Boys is a stunningly good film, the soundtrack is amazing. Dog Soldiers is one I'd forgotten, well worth a watch. Some good recommendations in there.

In the IT remake, the bits where Pennywise's eyes are going in different directions isn't CGI, Skarsgaard heard the director wanted to do it with CGI and he showed that he can do it. Not a big fan of the remakes but agree that he played the part very well.
Lost Boys is my favourite ever film and most rewatched.
I don't care that it's bit cheesy because it's pure entertainment, such an easy watch a film that most people are invested in very quickly and has a good cast/budget and deep 80's nostalgia feel to it.
The story is told very well and not showing the lost boys in their vampire form until quite near the end was delivered well and the shock on Michael's face in the trees on the beach when he sees them as vampires was done brilliantly.

Many vampire films after it and even Buffy Vampire Slayer clearly took inspiration from its theme, design and effects but none have come close.

Yeah the soundtrack is one of the most movie soundtracks of all time, got a couple of excellent INXS songs, Lou Reed from Foreigner - In the Shadows, Roger Daltrey's cover of Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me and Tim Capello the sax man cover of Still Believe. Unbeatable.

Lost Boys is my favourite ever film and most rewatched.
I don't care that it's bit cheesy because it's pure entertainment, such an easy watch a film that most people are invested in very quickly and has a good cast/budget and deep 80's nostalgia feel to it.
The story is told very well and not showing the lost boys in their vampire form until quite near the end was delivered well and the shock on Michael's face in the trees on the beach when he sees them as vampires was done brilliantly.

Many vampire films after it and even Buffy Vampire Slayer clearly took inspiration from its theme, design and effects but none have come close.

Yeah the soundtrack is one of the most movie soundtracks of all time, got a couple of excellent INXS songs, Lou Reed from Foreigner - In the Shadows, Roger Daltrey's cover of Don't Let The Sun Go Down on Me and Tim Capello the sax man cover of Still Believe. Unbeatable.

Same here mate. Must have watched lost boys 20+ times.

Soundtrack was amazing, really complimented the film well.

'Michaaaaaellll....Michaaaaaaellll......' :)

I think it's interesting that people will pay to watch a film that is designed to frighten them.

Even more so is that millions of Americans, each year, will pay as much as the cost of a home Premier League ticket to visit a haunted house to be scared multiple times.

I think it's interesting that people will pay to watch a film that is designed to frighten them.

Even more so is that millions of Americans, each year, will pay as much as the cost of a home Premier League ticket to visit a haunted house to be scared multiple times.
I think you need to be human to understand why people do things like that, the reason people skydive, go on rollercoasters etc and want an adreline rush.

You sound like an automated chatgpt response.

I think you need to be human to understand why people do things like that, the reason people skydive, go on rollercoasters etc and want an adreline rush.

You sound like an automated chatgpt response.

I can't understand people who I've come across over the years and say stuff like 'why would I watch a horror film/film that scares me when I can watch something funny (or whatever).' I tend to think there's a possibility theyre likely to be a bit timid/easily scared in all honesty ;), as not many horrors are truely disturbing imo. Its not real life after all.

Of course people like different genres, but it's the way sone seem baffled by the fact many are drawn to them.

I like any film that creates some stirring of emotion/feeling (of any sort) and horror is genre that pulls that off well with many films.

Horror movies are fun to watch and are entertainment; no reason to take them seriously. Each to their own if they don't like them, but I love them.

I'm not a big fan of reality tv, but I know people who that's all they watch.

Everybody has their own thing.

I can't understand people who I've come across over the years and say stuff like 'why would I watch a horror film/film that scares me when I can watch something funny (or whatever).' I tend to think there's a possibility theyre likely to be a bit timid/easily scared in all honesty ;), as not many horrors are truely disturbing imo. Its not real life after all.

Of course people like different genres, but it's the way sone seem baffled by the fact many are drawn to them.

I like any film that creates some stirring of emotion/feeling (of any sort) and horror is genre that pulls that off well with many films.
Even now, horror films still stir the most emotional response from people more than any genre because fear and death have always been the most curious and mysterious wonders to humanity and it's built in our DNA, probably going back to the hunter gatherer days when our ancestors had to hunt for food whilst also avoid apex predators like Sabre Tooth Tigers and Cave Lions.

Horrors have got alot of men laid by just being comforting, horror and the emotional response just triggers something no other genre can.

I've crossed paths with Erik on here few times, I don't care that he views things completely differently to me in life as I've respected people who are my complete opposite but I just don't think Erik has anything about him. Talks like a robot or a moderator for the ADL.
As Quint would say in Jaws he's got those lifeless eyes, black eyes like a dolls eyes, doesn't seem to be living until he bites you.

;