Non - Torquay United

Desperately try’s to rack the brain for Home Park visits.
Cup match Dec 94 was fun. Lost 2-1, quite a good atmosphere, on the fences, police telling us to get off.
No that was season after I was there he sent off Pennock and Young we lost 4-0 some insane decisions were made that day.
TOTP was Sept 95 earlier ;) mad month that was. The Brighton match too when they invaded the pitch.

Cup match Dec 94 was fun. Lost 2-1, quite a good atmosphere, on the fences, police telling us to get off.

TOTP was Sept 95 earlier ;) mad month that was. The Brighton match too when they invaded the pitch.
I think they invaded a year or 2 after great escape season as we lost 3-0 in torrential rain at home to them that season the year they invaded it was on tv 96 or 97 they came flying towards the family section in the non fighter section of the New Stand like brave warriors.

I was at the Swansea match. I think we'd won £200 on the halftime draw, weeks before, money (as usual) was tight but I used some of it to pay for a match and coach ticket. Strange but back then, that was the nearest I got to a holiday. The Good Lady could, with a bit of help, look after herself and the kids, so I was allowed a foreign holiday (well it's a different country and the road sings have "foreign" on them : )

The coach had people like "Willis (No 44)" and other characters on it. Just great, sitting, looking out the window for hours at the wonderful countryside of ours, chatting to random strangers. But they weren't because we all had A.F.C.B. to break the ice : )

Fish and chips in Rossi's, then the match. Seem to remember Robbi Martinez manager(?) and a load of Championship grade players for Swansea and us with "Bond, Kevin Bond" in charge. If they avoided defeat they were up as champions, I think. We needed to win something like our last 9 matches to stay up. Into injury time, as we called it back then, we equalise and almost immediately score again. Absolute reversal of feelings between the sets of fans, they hadn't won the league that day and we lived on with the faint hope of winning our final 4 or 5 matches to stay up : )

Also got on one of their park and ride buses thinking it was our coach ready to come home. Luckily I wasn't the only one, they noticed and we all got off : )

Writing this made me think, did Willis ever see us play in the Premier League? There was a Robin, was always on the coach, unfortunately I think he passed away before we got there : (

Sorry, long story, not much bravado but it takes all sorts to make a fanbase and I/we certainly feel part of this one. See you all tomorrow and next week for Sunday service up in "Bloody Burnley"
: )

I rate the Liberty actually even though it's fairly new it's not like alot of those modern bowls.
It's compact, the fans are close to pitch, acoustics hold up quite well especially when they're up for it at home to Cardiff for eg.
And it's capacity is near identical to what we are looking for - 21k.

I think they invaded a year or 2 after great escape season as we lost 3-0 in torrential rain at home to them that season the year they invaded it was on tv 96 or 97 they came flying towards the family section in the non fighter section of the New Stand like brave warriors.
That one on TV was Sept 95, the wet 0-3 was Feb 95 in the GE season, I went to that one.

I think a couple invaded in 92? In the cup? And one got laid out by someone in the New stand. May have been at HT?

I was at the Swansea match. I think we'd won £200 on the halftime draw, weeks before, money (as usual) was tight but I used some of it to pay for a match and coach ticket. Strange but back then, that was the nearest I got to a holiday. The Good Lady could, with a bit of help, look after herself and the kids, so I was allowed a foreign holiday (well it's a different country and the road sings have "foreign" on them : )

The coach had people like "Willis (No 44)" and other characters on it. Just great, sitting, looking out the window for hours at the wonderful countryside of ours, chatting to random strangers. But they weren't because we all had A.F.C.B. to break the ice : )

Fish and chips in Rossi's, then the match. Seem to remember Robbi Martinez manager(?) and a load of Championship grade players for Swansea and us with "Bond, Kevin Bond" in charge. If they avoided defeat they were up as champions, I think. We needed to win something like our last 9 matches to stay up. Into injury time, as we called it back then, we equalise and almost immediately score again. Absolute reversal of feelings between the sets of fans, they hadn't won the league that day and we lived on with the faint hope of winning our final 4 or 5 matches to stay up : )

Also got on one of their park and ride buses thinking it was our coach ready to come home. Luckily I wasn't the only one, they noticed and we all got off : )

Writing this made me think, did Willis ever see us play in the Premier League? There was a Robin, was always on the coach, unfortunately I think he passed away before we got there : (

Sorry, long story, not much bravado but it takes all sorts to make a fanbase and I/we certainly feel part of this one. See you all tomorrow and next week for Sunday service up in "Bloody Burnley"
I love a rambling story of trips to games long ago, I for one, can never remember exact places or dates, my bunch of friends contain a few that know every pub in England between Dean Court and Blyth, I just follow them and pretend I remember where we are

Today we face the European, EPL and FA Cup champions on an even footing. On the same day Torquay are in the 6th tier, with no manager, in administration facing a 10 pt deduction which will push them even further towards oblivion. How the fates have treated us differently.
The SW has few enough teams of any stature and league history as it is and I for one hope they can get back from this very low point with new investment.

I can still remember that Swansea game on Solent
Not sure who our commentator was, but they were really downbeat about us getting anything out of the game as we approached full time.

Willo however was his usual positive self banging on about it only needed a chance for us to score and how we could get a point. We'd shown nothing in the preceding 85 minutes to give any indication that this was possible.

The rest as they say is history

When the second went in it sounded like willo was going to explode

Willo spent the next couple of seasons reminding us all of his Nostradamus like abilities

Swansea, one of 6 consecutive wins that meant we all had to go to Carlisle. I recall an appalling miss that would have made it 2-1 and kept us up. Maybe Vokes?

Edited to say. Best miss of all time. Ensured relegation and the great escape 2. And Eddie.

Other players to play for us and them Derek Dawkins… Paul Mitchell and my favourite player as a little boy…. Steve Carter

Used to get upset in the car on the way home when my dad used to say ‘that Carter of yours…. Three crap games for every great game’

Our first ever game against them was in October 1927 in Division 3 South.

October began more positively, with back-to-back 1-1 draws against Brighton (home) and Bournemouth (away) preceding their first home success, with Turner and Jack Pattison netting against Brentford to secure a 2-1 scoreline. However, a narrow home reverse against Charlton (1-2) seven days later, backed up by another heavy defeat on their travels (1-5 at Bristol Rovers) and a Plainmoor Devon Derby defeat against Plymouth (1-2) would see Torquay on the backfoot once more.

Other players to play for us and them Derek Dawkins… Paul Mitchell and my favourite player as a little boy…. Steve Carter

Used to get upset in the car on the way home when my dad used to say ‘that Carter of yours…. Three crap games for every great game’
I liked Carter too, nifty winger.

Dawkins was ok, cant remember how many games he played.

;