Non - Video Games

MB1980

UTC Legend
Following on from comments in what to watch thread...

Let's use this for anything related to video games.

As suggested, what's your favourite 3 games of all time?

I had nearly 10 year hiatus from games and with limited free time, haven't had chance to play all the recent top games.

For me:
1) football manager. Played it most years since 92/93 when it was on the Amiga and called championship manager. Dread to think the amount of time I've 'wasted' on it. Without doubt my 'desert island' game. A thing of beauty.

2)skyrim. Played it a few years after it's release, when it was getting 9 or 10 out of 10 reviews everywhere. First few hours didn't get all the fuss/hype. Then bang! I was hooked. World, vibe setting so immersive. Sunk a lot of time into it. Barely touched the forgettable main quest line until I'd exhausted exploring the world and all side quests.

Trueky sublime experience.

3) gran turismo 7
Despite wishy washy start/release, not much content and some awful physics... rwd and mid engined cars wayyy too oversteeering they have make significant improvements each month.

I bought fanatec dd pro wheels/pedals couple of months in, which of course levelled it up.

less than a year in I had lost interest, then I bought vr2 headset when released and f me... levelled game up again several notches.

Wheel, headset and headphones on... no longer just a game but a proper experience. Played it each day for months.

Easier to judge turns, undulations. Feels significantly closer to using real driving skills/senses. Feels more like an experience than just a game.

Used to hate nordschleife, and just got through races never to return unless necessary. Once vr landed, probably spent/spend 80% of time on that track. Trying different cars, tunes etc. So satisfying, fun.variation of my car is in game and the interior, level of detail is spot onto the real thing. Frightening really.

Barely played aby other vr game as I just want to play that all the time. Well worth the vr2 investment for gt7 alone.

Special mention to witcher 3 which I finally completed a couple of months bsck. Bit like skyrim, didn't get the hype at all, then about 10 odd hours in thought 'now I get it...'.

My gaming life started on the VIC-20. Gorf was my absolute favourite game it was a cartridge based system so games load immediately..

Graduated to the sinclair spectrum, which used tapes to load games. Found out that I could do a tape to tape transfer of games and they still worked. So I could buy a game, copy it, then take it back saying it didn't work....he he.

Then nintendo that came with duck hunt and finally PC gaming

Currently have a PS4 and an PS5 (sons)

Top four games for me are (I have to say 4 as they are all about the same for me)

1) Fallout
2) RDR
3) Elder Scrolls
4) GTA

For online play, I like CoD Warzone. I can't play the online versions of the games above. I like World of Warcraft, but haven't played it in some time.

My gaming life started on the VIC-20. Gorf was my absolute favourite game it was a cartridge based system so games load immediately..

Graduated to the sinclair spectrum, which used tapes to load games. Found out that I could do a tape to tape transfer of games and they still worked. So I could buy a game, copy it, then take it back saying it didn't work....he he.

Top four games for me are (I have to say 4 as they are all about the same for me)

1) Fallout
2) RDR
3) Elder Scrolls
4) GTA

For online play, I like CoD Warzone. I can't play the online versions of the games above. I like World of Warcraft, but haven't played it in some time.
fallout is one of the best I have played, fallout 2 Is the best in my eyes
for online warzone is the go to game
and always buy the latest football manager game as a habit but don't always play them

1) Fallout
2) RDR
3) Elder Scrolls
4) GTA

have you watched the fallout tv series yet?

I haven't bought a new Football Manager since about FM13, but I play FM12 occasionally. It has the perfect amount of detail without being too complicated to just pick up and play.

I largely agree with USCherry's top 4, but I'd swap Elder Scrolls with Uncharted. Uncharted 4 is one of my favourite games of all time and it's probably the most visually stunning game I've ever played.

Have you seen Fallout London is released on st George's Day this year? It's s fan-made mod/add on for 4 and it looks incredible. I'm really looking forward to it.

I haven't bought a new Football Manager since about FM13, but I play FM12 occasionally. It has the perfect amount of detail without being too complicated to just pick up and play.

I largely agree with USCherry's top 4, but I'd swap Elder Scrolls with Uncharted. Uncharted 4 is one of my favourite games of all time and it's probably the most visually stunning game I've ever played.

Have you seen Fallout London is released on st George's Day this year? It's s fan-made mod/add on for 4 and it looks incredible. I'm really looking forward to it.
I haven't bought an FM version for ages but when the cherries made it to the promised land in 2015 I bought that version, and FIFA

Home computers and games shaped my life and work from a young age. I wouldnt be in IT now and my good friend wouldnt own a games development company if we hadnt have spent all our weekends working on things like the ZX80 build and repairs or on the BBC playing the first game on my list all weekend...

Elite.

Its impossible to explain quite how industry changing Elite was. Nothing had come remotely close to a game like this. Graphically or content wise. All those games that were about chasing a high score and suddenly here was a game about making money, gaining reputation and exploring over 2000 unique planets. All in 8-bit and 3D graphics. Blows my mind how they did it. Me and my friend would take turns to be pilot and co pilot in charge of ECMs, comms etc. He became super obsessed and still creates games to this day.

Counter Strike

The likes of Doom, W3D and others kept me hooked on gaming. FPS was my main obsession and along came Counter Strike. A mod that enabled me to shoot other actual players sat all around the world. Kinda ruined single person games for me. Beating a computer was one thing, but beating other players was far better. Made Global Elite in CS:GO and was generally pretty good but Father Time caught up with me. I can hold my own at Warzone and even got a Nuke but im not able to AWP flick shot like I used to.

World of Tanks/Warships

I was trying to think how to narrow down a 3rd and decided that simply due to the hours I have put into both tanks and Warships that I had to add them. Much slower paced so my old brain has time to react ;) Helps Im bl00dy good at them too (If I do say so myself) and have played in money tournaments. Continues the theme that I enjoy games against people more than computers.

I loved all the Elder Scrolls and many many other games but none of them do I continue to play today like the 3 above. Elite dangerous, CS2 and World of Warships are still fired up regularly and played.

Oh and I watched the first 2 episodes of Fallout...forget comparing it to the game, its simply a fantastic Sci Fi series. Really enjoying so far.

I blame the chippy at the top of Dale Road, Oakdale for having that space invaders machine back in the day. Anyway my top three PC games of all time.

IL2 Sturmovik - Russian made WW2 flight sim that I first started in 2001. Now in VR. The Russians really excel when it comes to PC gaming and graphics. Still shooting down 109's to this date.

Call of Duty - speaks for itself. Back in the day was ranked in the top 200 world wide before I burnt out, got old.

Medieval Total war 2 - just lost myself in it plus Rome TW.

VR. Remember Half Life Alyx ?, now without doubt the most complete and visually impacting VR game to date . I've so much stuff in my steam library I'll never finish it all. Currently dipping into Anno 1800 and started Days Gone tonight plus a bit of MSFS2020 in VR.

I've been building PC's since 2000 and have been chasing frame rates ever since. That said I don't go nuts, prices have gone daft although I wished I'd invested in NVIDIA who sadly are keeping things artificially high.

Lst build was an RX 6900 XT Extreme Formula 16GB chucking out 300 W (next upgrade 4090)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
32gb DDR5
Meta Quest 3 headset.

I blame the chippy at the top of Dale Road, Oakdale for having that space invaders machine back in the day. Anyway my top three PC games of all time.

IL2 Sturmovik - Russian made WW2 flight sim that I first started in 2001. Now in VR. The Russians really excel when it comes to PC gaming and graphics. Still shooting down 109's to this date.

Call of Duty - speaks for itself. Back in the day was ranked in the top 200 world wide before I burnt out, got old.

Medieval Total war 2 - just lost myself in it plus Rome TW.

VR. Remember Half Life Alyx ?, now without doubt the most complete and visually impacting VR game to date . I've so much stuff in my steam library I'll never finish it all. Currently dipping into Anno 1800 and started Days Gone tonight plus a bit of MSFS2020 in VR.

I've been building PC's since 2000 and have been chasing frame rates ever since. That said I don't go nuts, prices have gone daft although I wished I'd invested in NVIDIA who sadly are keeping things artificially high.

Lst build was an RX 6900 XT Extreme Formula 16GB chucking out 300 W (next upgrade 4090)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
32gb DDR5
Meta Quest 3 headset.
Call of Duty..controller or K&M?

I wish there was food money in building.PCs. I do it for friends and family and have built some great looking themed cases. Stick a funko pop inside to top off the theme. I've been AMD for some time now. Cannot justify the really top end, prefer to spend the money on high end monitor, I need at least 3 ;) my son is always on the cutting edge though so I often use his hand me downs that are just a year old..

I've switched to playing Football Manager on the...switch in recent years. However, the portability makes it even more life destroying.

I think MGS V: The Phantom Pain is probably the greatest game so far this century.

Fallout 3 is probably my most loved...Although, purely for narrative and devastating storytelling, The Last of Us 1&2 come close.

Call of Duty..controller or K&M?

I wish there was food money in building.PCs. I do it for friends and family and have built some great looking themed cases. Stick a funko pop inside to top off the theme. I've been AMD for some time now. Cannot justify the really top end, prefer to spend the money on high end monitor, I need at least 3 ;) my son is always on the cutting edge though so I often use his hand me downs that are just a year old..

COD -Keyboard / mouse, old school druss . My lads into it big time more so as well as PS5, so encourages me to buy games on steam I probably wouldn't bother with nowadays, loads of 'em...endless. 'Dad so and so's on offer' -hence Days gone tonight, usually a zombie theme somewhere! He hands his old monitors down to me as well as phones so I win there. I only pushed ahead with the CPU/GPU for VR - have Elite as well, it looks epic in VR but I can't seem to gel with it so hardly touched.

I see the "E" word's been mentioned twice on this page, once more and the Ol'Cherry Pastyman appears. Then the conversation ends and it's all about, well, you know who : )

I never had the coordination for any video games but hats off to all of you that have. I think my greatest achievement was a half hour game of Tetris on one of the kids' Gameboys : )

Hard to name just 3 but I'll pick my 3 that aren't AAA based on play time

Crusader Kings 2 (maybe 3) - It's a historical dark ages/medieval dynasty simulator. I love it because every other strategy game like Civ is basically the same equal setup with a cheating AI. With this you make your own difficulty by picking historical figures (or make your own), for example in the 1066 start William the B@stard is an easier start than Harald Hardrada. Immensely complex but crazy fun. You end up doing some weird stuff like abducting women to marry for their positive genetic traits, murdering your children or sending your mum to Genghis Khan as peace offering.
Finally when you're bored of Europe (and India) you can install mods to play Game of Thrones, Elder Scrolls, Witcher, etc.

Rimworld - You take control of a small group of people on a sparsely populated planet. Much more accessible than Dwarf Fortress particularly pre-GUI but really follows the "losing is fun" ethos. Again a huge scope of things you can do and you find yourself in some hard places like having a food shortage but a load of dead raiders you've not buried yet...

Streets of rogue - single dev indie game. Randomly generated maps and character classes that drastically change the way you approach the game. From a cop who can only arrest/attack people who've committed a crime, a body snatcher that travels through toilets, a hacker who remotely opens doors and sets turrets on people, a thief who pickpockets and sneaks in windows, a zombie that just eats everyone and makes more zombies, a gorilla trying to lead a monkey uprising and has a bloodfeud with scientists etc

Picking three is hard but I guess I'd go with:

Speedball 2 (Amiga version)
Still fire it up occasionally on an emulator for a go. Ice cream, ice cream... Pure arcade joy with touches of humour scattered throughout.

Football Manager
First version was Championship Manager Italia, the one before 2. Played it on and off ever since. When it's an 'on' time then it dominates! I don't think anything else needs to be said about this here. You all know.

The Witcher 3
Love an rpg, and for me this is still the high water mark. After all the gushing reviews I thought Baldur's Gate 3 was going to top it but, in my opinion, that was alright but massively overrated. CD Project then dropped the ball with Cyberpunk but believe they're now working on The Witcher 4 so hopefully they get their mojo back. Which will come first, that or Elder Scrolls 6?

I don't know if it's a mental block when games get lots of hype but seems like I struggle to connect with some games that everyone else seems to love. Didn't enjoy The Last Of Us and gave up on it. Never sunk much time into any of the GTAs even though I had most. They just didn't grab me. Did enjoy an online FPS romp when TFC ruled the roost but lost interest when CS took over. I guess I'm the weirdo in this scenario.

Going back to the original point, picking just three is tough though since each era in your life tends to have a couple of very influential games.

As an old git I’ve never owned a games console.
However back in the late 80’s very early 90’s my daughter was around 10 and my son 5.
We had an Amiga pc, floppy disc thing. I would play one of their games for hours called
Speed Ball.
I doubt if anyone recalls that. lol.
Another I remember was Chuck Rock.
On a foot note. Back in the day I used to repair the early arcade games such as Space Invaders, Breakout, Asteroids and so on.

As an old git I’ve never owned a games console.
However back in the late 80’s very early 90’s my daughter was around 10 and my son 5.
We had an Amiga pc, floppy disc thing. I would play one of their games for hours called
Speed Ball.
I doubt if anyone recalls that. lol.
Another I remember was Chuck Rock.
On a foot note. Back in the day I used to repair the early arcade games such as Space Invaders, Breakout, Asteroids and so on.

Remember it very well. If it's Speedball 1 I did play it after having played 2. Still lots of fun but my favourite is clear.

Also remember Chuck Rock used to say "Unga bunga". Can't remember too much else about it beyond it being a platformer.

;