So do not forget me
A sycamore tree
A symbol of ancient folklore
Remember a place where a great tree once stood
Now a gap with a Sycamore
No more.
Gail Lawler 28/09/2023

All is not lost Stan.

The tree is as good as dead; any new growth from the base will never make anything sizable due to the base being compromised where it joins the old stump.

However this would work:

If you know what your doing and have serious amounts of money moving mature trees isn't a problem, depending on the species.
A large leaved Acer such as the Sycamore would be fine and there are plenty of mature ones to pick from.

btw, if you're a bit sad and like grown up horticulture the whole film is belting.

Here are two moths that have recently visited my garden and they should be of particular interest to KBG as they are both adventive accidentally imported with horticulture. The first is a golden brown fern moth first recorded in Dorset in 2009 on imported Australian ferns and the second is a box tree moth imported on box tree cuttings from south east Asia.

Attachments

• IMG_6320.jpeg
    IMG_6320.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6019.jpeg
    IMG_6019.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Here are two moths that have recently visited my garden and they should be of particular interest to KBG as they are both adventists accidentally imported with horticulture. The first is a golden brown fern moth first recorded in Dorset in 2009 on imported Australian ferns and the second is a box tree moth imported on box tree cuttings from south east Asia.

Box tree moth?

Don't talk to me about box tree moths.

Given a couple of years, box hedging will be a thing of the last.

It's gone right through Europe, I even saw it in the Azores.

I'm keeping it at bay by spraying chez Ghost, but that's only a stop gap solution.

Anybody with this kind of thing must be bricking it.

This Sycamore Tree, having it's iconic presence in that setting ; Would in not be possible to somehow attempt to resurrect it's life by mounting or inserting it flat, back onto the stump and using some kind of artificial membranes internally to encourage moisture upwards with a kind of wrap around the join....and don't trees get some life from the air around the top into the leaves ?
I obviously know little about what im suggesting but surely there must be knowledgeable people that can at least try something, albeit clutching at straws...and I guess it would need to happen soon .. there would be sponsors enough to cover any costs.

This Sycamore Tree, having it's iconic presence in that setting ; Would in not be possible to somehow attempt to resurrect it's life by mounting or inserting it flat, back onto the stump and using some kind of membranes internally to encourage moisture upwards with a kind of wrap around the join....and don't trees get some life from the air around the top into the leaves ?
I obviously know little about what im suggesting but surely there must be knowledgeable people that can at least try something, albeit clutching at straws.. there would be sponsors enough to cover any costs.
The biggest obstacle to replacing the tree is the bone headed, obstinate bureaucracy of The National Trust.

You do indeed. :grinning:
Thanks for that....fairly obvious ...why I said it myself ...but I appreciate the humour !

When all us Caring for Nature types have departed the Earth in the few decades time..I'm hoping mateyboy St Peter has a Hot Cam downwards so we can have a 'MoTD' shufty at all the beleagured 'tribes' battering each other over the last packets of seeds !

A poignant sight chez Ghost.

Hundreds and hundreds of swallows heading West; never seen so many.

I blame Suella Braverman.

Stanpit Marshes this morning- loads of Wheatears stopping off to feed and fuel up on the grasses before their long journey South, to over-winter. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many in one place. Also a decent flock of Meadow Pipits, loads and loads of honking Canada geese all over the place, a few Curlew, Little Egrets, Linnets, a Kingfisher and a Water Rail. It was a real if rare treat, something to recharge the batteries and then with a gorgeous rainbow over Christchurch Priory to top it off. And…it’s all free.

Granddaughter called me over this morning at the park, 'look grandad look' pointing to the path.
Massive dragonfly thing, settled by the nature garden, sunning itself in the secluded corner of the park..

Attachments

• dragonfly.JPG
    dragonfly.JPG
    800.7 KB · Views: 7
A couple of nights ago I heard a noise in the kitchen, we always have the back door open for the cats to come and go as they please..well I went to investigate and almost stood on a big raccoon..it hissed/growled(sort of thing) at me and legged it..spooked me out for sure, didn’t realise how big they are

Two separate parts of the story below.

RESIDENTS are ‘heartbroken’ after woodland and wildlife was torn down in less than 24 hours.

Jackie Bonham, 55, has lived on Wimborne Road in Corfe Mullen for 17 years and said she is devastated by the destruction of the woodland on the back of her home.

She said the property, which was previously owned by an elderly man before he died, was thriving with conifer trees and plenty of wildlife including woodpeckers, bats and owls.

The damage was believed to have been caused by housing developers however, but it is not clear who owns the land.

Dorset Council told the Daily Echo that no planning applications have been submitted for the site.

;