Non-Wildlife

Thanks Stan, just looked that up. Spot on, cheers

While you’re on a roll, what is this? Looks like a bee but well over 2” long
View attachment 10959
We had one of those come in the kitchen last summer and it frightened the life out of my wife, talking of Hornets I walked up a steep slope to a golf tee last saturday and put my hand on the tee marker only to notice in horror that I was inches from one!

We had one of those come in the kitchen last summer and it frightened the life out of my wife, talking of Hornets I walked up a steep slope to a golf tee last saturday and put my hand on the tee marker only to notice in horror that I was inches from one!
Don’t be horrified. Contrary to media sensationalism, hornets are very docile creatures that rarely sting. I’ve been inches away from a hornet’s nest without feeling any fear. If I’d disturbed the nest, however, I probably wouldn’t be here to tell the tale.

Don’t be horrified. Contrary to media sensationalism, hornets are very docile creatures that rarely sting. I’ve been inches away from a hornet’s nest without feeling any fear. If I’d disturbed the nest, however, I probably wouldn’t be here to tell the tale.
Hornets nests tend to be quite small. However, the important thing is to usher a wayward hornet away if it's too close for comfort and not be tempted to kill it. Doing so will cause it to release pheromones into the air, alerting the rest of the nest, who will then try to come to the rescue of their distressed sibling!

Talking of stingy things.

Yesteday afternoon we had the start of a swarm of bees in our garden.

No problem as we share a yard with a honey processing factory, thus all things bee related re quite normal.
My next door neighbour works there so it was easy enough for Tim to come and sort it.

He comes out in a short sleeved tee shirt and jeans, takes one look at this mass of bees about half the size of a football and announces that he'll just fish around until he finds the queen and then put it in a small plastic box.
Then transferring it to an empty hive they have just for this purpose; and the swarm will follow.

This is what he proceeded to do with no problem.

He did it all without putting on any protective clothing; bare hands just fished around in the swarm until he found the queen. :tophat:
Should have filmed it, but was so transfixed by this seeming act of stupidity that I forgot.

This is how 'proper' bee keepers do apparently. :grinning:

No problem as we share a yard with a honey processing factory, thus all things bee related re quite normal.
My next door neighbour works there so it was easy enough for Tim to come and sort it.

He comes out in a short sleeved tee shirt and jeans, takes one look at this mass of bees about half the size of a football and announces that he'll just fish around until he finds the queen and then put it in a small plastic box.
Then transferring it to an empty hive they have just for this purpose; and the swarm will follow.

He did it all without putting on any protective clothing; bare hands just fished around in the swarm until he found the queen. :tophat:
Should have filmed it, but was so transfixed by this seeming act of stupidity that I forgot.

Apparently bees are at their most passive when they swarm.

Talking about animals and golf.
I was on the 17th tee just about to hit my drive when my caddie suddenly moved, I was about to ask him to stop moving when he pointed to a Leopard lying up in a tree about 10 metres away. I quickly played my shot and we hurried off down the fairway.

Another time I hit my ball into some bushes along the side of the fairway my caddy who is quite good at finding my ball, but this time he just came out went straight to my bag and dropped another ball saying he couldn't find it.
Later he told me he gave up looking for the ball as there was a green Mamba in the bushes.

We also have to put up with troops of Baboons crossing the course from time to time.
Always found it funny watching the the young ones lagging behind playing with the golf ball they have just found in the middle of the fairway.

Talking about animals and golf.
I was on the 17th tee just about to hit my drive when my caddie suddenly moved, I was about to ask him to stop moving when he pointed to a Leopard lying up in a tree about 10 metres away. I quickly played my shot and we hurried off down the fairway.

Another time I hit my ball into some bushes along the side of the fairway my caddy who is quite good at finding my ball, but this time he just came out went straight to my bag and dropped another ball saying he couldn't find it.
Later he told me he gave up looking for the ball as there was a green Mamba in the bushes.

We also have to put up with troops of Baboons crossing the course from time to time.
Always found it funny watching the the young ones lagging behind playing with the golf ball they have just found in the middle of the fairway.

Could have been worse it could have been a one eyed trouser snake lurking in the bush

An amazing sight I would have thought

My two gems on our golf course were a horse stood waiting on the 4th tee and a car pulling up alongside our 3rd tee and offloading a Badger.

One of my customers is a Bee fanatic, known locally as the Bee man of Calderdale. His tales of Bees and their lives are quite fascinating, he once said to me, ‘Michael, Bees are everything , only one animal on this planet persecutes Bees and destroys their habitat, even if we kill them all they will still have won’. Amen I thought

One of the pleasures of getting out this time of year, even in the hot weather, is the chance of seeing birds feeding their young if you're lucky enough to know where a nest is. The attached Greater Spotted Woodpecker is using the same nest he/she used (or another GSW used) last year in a tree on our local Golf Course, and presently feeding. The attentive parent here is the Dad. There may be five or six young in there but only one comes up for a look around every so often. 546A2623.jpg546A2603.jpg

;