Non-Wildlife

One of the pleasures of getting out this time of year, even in the hot weather, is the chance of seeing birds feeding their young if you're lucky enough to know where a nest is. The attached Greater Spotted Woodpecker is using the same nest he/she used (or another GSW used) last year in a tree on our local Golf Course, and presently feeding. The attentive parent here is the Dad. There may be five or six young in there but only one comes up for a look around every so often. View attachment 10975View attachment 10976
Wow. Great pictures!

I’ve seen quite a few common lizards and slow worms so far this year, as well as a couple of sand lizards. No snakes yet, but hoping to see smooth snakes for the first time ever!

The first silver y moth has arrived. A regular immigrant sometimes seen in abundance but the miserable weather this year has kept the numbers down.

IMG_3491.jpeg

One of our most tuneful summer visitors IMO - the Reed Warbler, up from tropical Africa for the summer and busily chattering away in reed beds next to our rivers and lakes. Personally I could listen to them all day without getting bored. This one caught my attention at Longham Lakes a few weeks back.

546A1250 - Copy.jpg

One of our most tuneful summer visitors IMO - the Reed Warbler, up from tropical Africa for the summer and busily chattering away in reed beds next to our rivers and lakes. Personally I could listen to them all day without getting bored. This one caught my attention at Longham Lakes a few weeks back.

View attachment 10992
That is one of the great sounds of summer.

;