Non - Wimborne Cycle Lane

The Echo reporter filmed the chaos when it first opened, think there were some accidents as well.

I have only used it once when It opened, coming from Dorchester direction on A31 and wanting to get into Ham Lane towards Longham, went into Lane it mentioned, only to find a bit further on you needed to move over into another lane again, it was the first and last time I used it in that direction.
I would say at least 10% of drivers are in the wrong lane every day. Unfortunately I cross that roundabout at least 4 times a day.

I would say at least 10% of drivers are in the wrong lane every day. Unfortunately I cross that roundabout at least 4 times a day.

And unless you use it often it’s very easy to get in the wrong lane. The issue is cars blocking the closest lane meaning you can’t get into your lane, just carnage basically. For example most of the traffic wants to join the westbound of the A31 of not already on the A31, if you’re coming from Ham lane to do this you need to queue in the outer lane, but any traffic wanting to get to Wimborne/colehill/Ferndown from Ham lane needs to be in the inaccessible middle or inner lane.

Tear it up and start again.

Was my cycle route to work for my old job. It did need a cycle lane because quite a few use it but certainly not this wide!

There is also a cycle route than runs under the bypass but the geniuses that built this, put the lane on the other side so forcing cyclists to the crazy roundabout, rather than under and out of the way.

As a regular cyclist, who prefers a bike over a car, this sort of scheme annoys me. I don't need preference, to be spoilt, just the amount of space that a bike needs, and a well maintained dual purpose pavement cycle lane, where I pay the same courtesy to pedestrians I expect from cars. Simples.

There is also a cycle route than runs under the bypass but the geniuses that built this, put the lane on the other side so forcing cyclists to the crazy roundabout, rather than under and out of the way.

As usual they'll be back in 18 months or so after the work is finished to put this right by inserting a light controlled crossing at the junction with Old Ham Lane!

The problem with these double width lanes for travel both ways is that the cyclist then loses priority to rejoin the carriageway when the cycle lane ends. Its an all or nothing requirement, having some areas good and some bad means cyclists take the most energy and time efficient route, aftet all they are expending energy - when a motorist is simply expending mental anguish and rage.

Motorists are very regimented in their beliefs about how wide they need a road to be, quite frankly everyone is driving round in cars way bigger than necessary, but that's a different topic altogether. Society is just a bit selfish.

Well its certainly making the news, many papers have covered it as have news channels. expect the traffic will be made worse by coachloads of site-seers and TV crews !!!!!!

I think it needs badger, hedgehog & fox lane crossings. And some lanes for people who are non-gender specific. And make the remaining car strips 15mph zones. That should do it.

I think it needs badger, hedgehog & fox lane crossings. And some lanes for people who are non-gender specific. And make the remaining car strips 15mph zones. That should do it.

Surprised you've not campaigned for a direct cycle path from your house to The Butcher's Dog.

"Going to head down later with some deck chairs to hire, so people can see the spectacular cycle lane"

You can't do that might be considered a "dangerous weapon" and a threat to BCP staff. Another debacle but wait until next summer when it will be OK.

Last edited:
I don't know how wide the cycle lanes are on Castle Lane between the Broadway and Mallard Road roundabouts but they seem more than wide enough. I've read that cyclists complain about debris in the lanes and having to negotiate road junctions and kerbs. Although I am no longer able to cycle I would feel a lot safer in a dedicated lane than taking my chance on being swiped by a vehicle.

;