Non - Winter Shortages

The job of the uk government is to look after the uk.

The apologists prefer the tactic of claiming things are worse somewhere else so the government is doing its job well.

Yes you’re correct. That doesn’t mean they can magic HGV drivers, control global gas prices etc though does it?

2020 bog roll all over again isn't it. Just needs folks to take a little not a lot and allow the logistics to ride the wave.

When I went up to Cardiff, BP had a supply issue to their garages in the local area where I tried to stop en route (in Wiltshire), presumably due to a delivery lag. Just a few miles to a Tesco instead and that was fine, each company with their own logistics to manage I guess.
I read a study years ago on the effect of panic buying.

The upshot was that instead of restricting people to say £10 worth of fuel, petrol stations should make it a minimum buy of £40-£50.

Then you don't get queues of people waiting to buy £10 worth and driving around in cars full of fuel that other people could be using.

Not again.

Got a sniff of this a couple of days ago when I filled up the lorry and there was a queue.

Nice to know the nation's petrol and diesel will spend the next few weeks sat in the vehicles of people who never go anywhere but have filled up "just in case."

Wankers.

Morrisons in Verwood has queuing back to the roundabout and around the roundabout.

Still, it'll help get the economy to move more briskly, with all the problems caused by stale petrol.

Hopefully, by the time I next go to buy fuel, the slowdown in sales, caused by the numpties filling up now, will see a drop in price.

Filled up last night at Tesco Branksome , but I’ve got five hundred plus miles of commuting in the next week so non-panicky sensible stuff from me ….

Call me cynical, but the supermarkets have been lobbying the government to allow visas for foreign HGV drivers. So far the government hasn’t listened. So then, quite by coincidence, the same supermarkets loudly publicise the fact that some forecourts are short of fuel. Result, negative headlines, panic buying and further pressure on the government to relax visa requirements.

Big business has played its hand very well, as usual.

Having driven from Dunkerque to Lübeck recently, I noticed that more than half of all the long distance trailers had a Polish-registered tractor unit and therefore one might reasonably expect a Polish driver. The same was true for the drivers on the ferry over to/from Dover. So I think I know why the Poles are short of drivers.

That's 800km or 500 miles.
I'm amazed you didn't have a prang, carrying out such a comprehensive survey over such a distance.
What's that, a 10 hour drive? Must have been in the region of 5,000 lorries on that trip. Did you not get lost counting, once you got past 100?

That's 800km or 500 miles.
I'm amazed you didn't have a prang, carrying out such a comprehensive survey over such a distance.
What's that, a 10 hour drive? Must have been in the region of 5,000 lorries on that trip. Did you not get lost counting, once you got past 100?

Yes, about 10 hours and that's on top of the four hours from Dean Court to Dover, the ferry crossing and the shopping in Dunkerque. But we won, so...

It's not too distracting to look at number plates.

I do not know how many lorries there were, but outside of the stretches around Antwerp and Duisburg to Dortmund where there are many local trucks, Polish-plated tractors certainly dominated.

I really despair of this government and it’s poodle press. Petrol is running out, food is running out, power is running out but don’t panic buy. Just shop as normal. What did they seriously think people would do ? Bog roll gate is still fresh in the memory of most people.

I really despair of this government and it’s poodle press. Petrol is running out, food is running out, power is running out but don’t panic buy. Just shop as normal. What did they seriously think people would do ? Bog roll gate is still fresh in the memory of most people.

you're lucky! I despair of the government AND us people! I am praying I come back in my next life as an ant. Somewhere nice.

;