Non - Yemen/Houthis

MB1980

UTC Legend
Sadly things continue to simmer in and around Yemen.

Further recent attacks on ships by Houthis, after US/UK response to last weeks episodes.

US already responded and things likely to get worse it seems...

Iran pulling the strings by proxy? US sent Iran a private communication last week, which appears to have done little good. Apparently motivation is due to Israel assault on Gaza...

Sadly things continue to simmer in and around Yemen.

Further recent attacks on ships by Houthis, after US/UK response to last weeks episodes.

US already responded and things likely to get worse it seems...

Iran pulling the strings by proxy? US sent Iran a private communication last week, which appears to have done little good. Apparently motivation is due to Israel assault on Gaza...

2020s = 1920s

2020s = 1920s

A try to avoid the news generally. But something particularly unnerving about all these 'tensions' right now imo and state of things across the globe, thats been bubbling past few years.

Hopefully just a bit of mild paranoia and nothing more significant comes of it. But I don't have a good feeling about this... on a wider scale.

Its happening again... its happening agaaaaiiiin... world war xyz... its happening again ;)

This time it's going to be very odd. People in the west just aren't that compliant these days, plus they are more susceptible to external manipulation. Are young people really going to fight to the death for a system that doesn't really work for them? That's before you factor in the divisions caused by the manipulation of information by shady foreign governments.

Of course, we should never criticise the accuracy of the Daily Mail. However, this...

"Not three weeks of 2024 have passed, and the governments of Estonia, Sweden and now the UK have already warned their respective nations that the prospect of large-scale war is on the horizon."

...is nothing new. Sweden has been on alert for the Russians since the first days of the invasion of Ukraine. It is why Sweden, after decades of strict neutrality, applied to join NATO in 2022.

This time it's going to be very odd. People in the west just aren't that compliant these days, plus they are more susceptible to external manipulation. Are young people really going to fight to the death for a system that doesn't really work for them? That's before you factor in the divisions caused by the manipulation of information by shady foreign governments.

We're a bunch of soft f***kers too. Nothing wrong with comfortable, 'good' life of course. But I think too many decades of being wrapped in cotton wool and easy living, has enabled certain 'ideals' to become too prevelant. Going to be a big wake up call in not too distant future imo. Hopefully not expense of 'good life' we've known, once what ever may start ends.

Like you say, foreign cyber influences, disinformation, spread of certain information has been huge. subtly brain washed people over the past decade or so too, influenced votes etc.

If labour and democrats are in power... which is likely what certain countries want... god help us... imo.

Don’t worry, if Trump gets in he said he will sort the Ukraine war and also prevent World War III.

You just never know with him. His nutcase moves in relation to North Korea could perhaps have been positive. He's probably in the pockets of the Russians but who's to say that a long winded war with them is the better solution?

It's long been the unspoken job of the biggest navy / navies on the bloc to combat piracy and facilitate safe passage of trade, because doing so benefits everyone.

Before the USA it was us under the British Empire. Before that it was the Spanish and Portuguese. You could go all the way back to the Romans and Carthaginians 2000 years ago. Fundamentally nobody has any interest in this situation persisting, beyond maybe Iran 'for the lols'. Not the legitimate Yemeni government. It even hurts Russia, and it definitely hurts China.

Small boats armed with dumb rockets are one thing. Drones are a new and simple but complicated danger to tackle.

It's long been the unspoken job of the biggest navy / navies on the bloc to combat piracy and facilitate safe passage of trade, because doing so benefits everyone.

Before the USA it was us under the British Empire. Before that it was the Spanish and Portuguese. You could go all the way back to the Romans and Carthaginians 2000 years ago. Fundamentally nobody has any interest in this situation persisting, beyond maybe Iran 'for the lols'. Not the legitimate Yemeni government. It even hurts Russia, and it definitely hurts China.

Small boats armed with dumb rockets are one thing. Drones are a new and simple but complicated danger to tackle.

Good points.

My understanding is the drones being deployed by Houthis are pretty low grade, in scheme of things. Propeller based, rudimentry/cheap compared to tech our military uses.

However, they can fly low, so can get pretty close undetected by many of our radar systems. But overall 'easy' to deal with apparently, if we have constant presence in and around the area.

Some experts suggesting they're suprised we haven't deployed QE or other carriers to the area yet...

Of course, we should never criticise the accuracy of the Daily Mail. However, this...

"Not three weeks of 2024 have passed, and the governments of Estonia, Sweden and now the UK have already warned their respective nations that the prospect of large-scale war is on the horizon."

...is nothing new. Sweden has been on alert for the Russians since the first days of the invasion of Ukraine. It is why Sweden, after decades of strict neutrality, applied to join NATO in 2022.

For me growing up knowing a Soviet T72 might role through your front garden at any moment kind of focused the mind but also makes you a little blasé.

In other words I'll believe it when I see it. I think the threat of World war has diminished since the West have seen how useless the Russians are. The middle east will always rumble on, the sad thing about Iran is many really do want to be westernised.

For me growing up knowing a Soviet T72 might role through your front garden at any moment kind of focused the mind but also makes you a little blasé.

In other words I'll believe it when I see it. I think the threat of World war has diminished since the West have seen how useless the Russians are. The middle east will always rumble on, the sad thing about Iran is many really do want to be westernised.

You would hope that the economic interdependence that China have with the west would prevent it ever reaching anything other than a cold war stage with them.

The Houthis say they will stop attacking shipping if there is a ceasefire in Gaza.

As for stopping them from attacking shipping with retaliation, is that just going to make things worse?

Saudi Arabia haven’t been able to beat them in around eight years and it seems don’t want to get involved now.

Just been reading this article.

In the not-too-distant past, Saudi Arabia would have cherished the opportunity for a joint U.S.-U.K. strike targeting Houthi strongholds. After all, Riyadh fought a brutal war against the group for almost a decade. But today, a Western offensive on the Yemeni group is precisely the opposite of what Riyadh wants as it conducts a delicate peace negotiation with the Houthi leadership to extricate itself from Yemen and, it hopes, permanently protect itself from cross-border attacks.

As temperatures rise in the Red Sea, Saudi Arabia has therefore chosen to stay out of the conflict. Instead, the lines of communication between Saudi Arabia and the Houthis are staying open as Riyadh avoids overtly siding with Washington, lest it become the target of attacks. For now, this strategy seems to be working—but the larger question remains about whether this will guarantee Saudi Arabia’s protection in the long term.

You would hope that the economic interdependence that China have with the west would prevent it ever reaching anything other than a cold war stage with them.

Let's hope so. I think they'll always be a level of distrust both ways due to cultural differences. I must admit to not knowing too much about their political objectives but the economic ones are staring us all in the face.

;