Non - Yemen/Houthis

One crazy World as it stands....for most of the time of human inhabitance....Religion has been a prime - mover of conflict and resulting Wars....and until Religion is relegated in importance, in the Middle East in particular...then we won't have a peaceful Planet.

And when the USA, Russia, China, India, Asia Europe and the Middle Eastern block realise that they can all have an equal share of Wealth and Power...free trading between all...then we get a better existence and some way to solving the ecological problems the Earth faces.

The worrying thing is ..a big nuclear based War triggered by a madman in the next few years ..that could wipe out 4/5 s of humanity and wildlife!

One crazy World as it stands....for most of the time of human inhabitance....Religion has been a prime - mover of conflict and resulting Wars....and until Religion is relegated in importance, in the Middle East in particular...then we won't have a peaceful Planet.

And when the USA, Russia, China, India, Asia Europe and the Middle Eastern block realise that they can all have an equal share of Wealth and Power...free trading between all...then we get a better existence and some way to solving the ecological problems the Earth faces.

The worrying thing is ..a big nuclear based War triggered by a madman in the next few years ..that could wipe out 4/5 s of humanity and wildlife!

Yeah.

I've always felt Power/Wealth is main motivator of conflicts, empire building, which can fall under guise of religion.

Sky

We've just been hearing from Iran's foreign minister at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Hossein Amirabdollahian said attacks by the "axis of resistance" - a regional alliance led by Iran - against Israel and its interests will stop if the war in Gaza ends.

The so-called axis of resistance includes Yemen's Houthis and Lebanon's Hezbollah.

Mr Amirabdollahian warned "everyone will be harmed" if Israel's operations in Gaza do not stop immediately.

He also commented on this week's Iranian attacks in Iraq and Pakistan.

Of the missile and drone strike in Pakistan, which killed two children, he says Iran had been targeting "terrorists" linked to Israel.

He also said Tehran had shared intelligence with Iraq about what it said were the activities of Israeli intelligence agency Mossad in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdish region.

Iran says it attacked Israel's "spy headquarters" in Iraq on Monday, though Iraq has denied there was any such spy centre in the country.

Sky

We've just been hearing from Iran's foreign minister at the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Hossein Amirabdollahian said attacks by the "axis of resistance" - a regional alliance led by Iran - against Israel and its interests will stop if the war in Gaza ends.

The so-called axis of resistance includes Yemen's Houthis and Lebanon's Hezbollah.

Mr Amirabdollahian warned "everyone will be harmed" if Israel's operations in Gaza do not stop immediately.

He also commented on this week's Iranian attacks in Iraq and Pakistan.

Of the missile and drone strike in Pakistan, which killed two children, he says Iran had been targeting "terrorists" linked to Israel.

He also said Tehran had shared intelligence with Iraq about what it said were the activities of Israeli intelligence agency Mossad in Iraq's semi-autonomous Kurdish region.

Iran says it attacked Israel's "spy headquarters" in Iraq on Monday, though Iraq has denied there was any such spy centre in the country.

Imagine if there is a terrorist attack in the name of Palestine in the UK, let alone attacking tankers in the Red sea. We'll see what the Israel flag shaggers on Twitter/X think then.

I just there's just too much economic stability at stake for a full scale war. China will reign Russia in I reckon if they go too far.

'Interesting' times at least eh. Been non stop since Brexit.

Israel is the crux of this. It’s leaders have repeatedly broken international law and has escaped any sanction. It is destroying Gaza with impunity. Everyone seems to tiptoe around Israel. Any other country and leaders would be queuing up to apply pressure.

Certainly seems to be a general mood for challenging the status quo. In some ways I think you could say WW3 is already happening, just that the countries involved prefer the proxy nature of conflict. Ukraine being the most glaring example, two sides in immediate conflict but both are being backed by a host of other nations.
The attack in Israel, in my mind, looks like a clear provocation for a larger conflict, bit of a strange one off if it wasn’t.
Simmering conflicts tend to ignite in the back drop of wider conflict.

Autocracy testing out democracy? If the people in a democracy loose the desire to be in a conflict they vote in someone who appeals to their wishes…..autocracy can get their way.

Inflation and mortgage rate at 10% for 4 years would probably have a bigger effect on those in power in a democracy?

NB I’m all for democracy!!

Certainly seems to be a general mood for challenging the status quo. In some ways I think you could say WW3 is already happening, just that the countries involved prefer the proxy nature of conflict. Ukraine being the most glaring example, two sides in immediate conflict but both are being backed by a host of other nations.
The attack in Israel, in my mind, looks like a clear provocation for a larger conflict, bit of a strange one off if it wasn’t.
Simmering conflicts tend to ignite in the back drop of wider conflict.

Autocracy testing out democracy? If the people in a democracy loose the desire to be in a conflict they vote in someone who appeals to their wishes…..autocracy can get their way.

Inflation and mortgage rate at 10% for 4 years would probably have a bigger effect on those in power in a democracy?

NB I’m all for democracy!!
Could be in for a period of time when autocracy becomes the majority system? Certainly democracy is/was being prodded at by Trump, the former Brazil ruler and the Hungarian president.

It’s a very ‘I know best system’ for childish leaders who can’t stand losing.

Good points.

My understanding is the drones being deployed by Houthis are pretty low grade, in scheme of things. Propeller based, rudimentry/cheap compared to tech our military uses.

However, they can fly low, so can get pretty close undetected by many of our radar systems. But overall 'easy' to deal with apparently, if we have constant presence in and around the area.

Some experts suggesting they're suprised we haven't deployed QE or other carriers to the area yet...
Recently read that we did not have enough crews and also a shortage of supply ships to support the carriers.

Last edited:
Recently read that we did not have enough crews and also a shortage of supply ships to support the carriers.

Uk military is massively understaffed and can’t get recruits. The army is half the size it needs to be to be an effective fighting force. Also standards have dropped significantly but still can’t enough recruits. Might have to up the max age to enlist to 65. All those elderly people retired doing nothing except sapping all the resources, put them to work on the frontline. captain mainwaring would approve

Definitely some tough choices to come in terms of increasing spending on Defence versus everything else that also wants increased money. Under-staffing in clinical roles of the NHS for example gets constant media attention, issues with forward facing military roles not so much. In either if the pay, conditions and career progression etc are there, they will come. And if it's not, they won't. But there's so much more to it than chucking money into a black hole, it needs strategy.

Not sure our modern education system (where nearly everyone does A levels and Uni) and military recruitment mesh together very well either.

National Service/Conscription ?

There's no way that would work. How are they going to convince a load of youngsters to fight to the death for a system that doesn't really work for them? There's a reason that the silent generation forced the powers that be to nationalise everything after WW2. The following generation has hoovered up all the wealth and pulled up the ladder and they expect youngsters to fight to protect it? I don't think so.

There's no way that would work. How are they going to convince a load of youngsters to fight to the death for a system that doesn't really work for them? There's a reason that the silent generation forced the powers that be to nationalise everything after WW2. The following generation has hoovered up all the wealth and pulled up the ladder and they expect youngsters to fight to protect it? I don't think so.
It works in many countries, Denmark being one, young people are required to do 6 months Conscription unless they are working or in further education. They they have the choice to continue or return to civvy street. I'm not saying it is an answer, but it could be.

When I was serving in the Andrew, they offered many middle management (Petty Officer and Chief Petty Officers) of on average 15 years service an enhanced redundancy package. Then a few years later found they have a manning and learning crisis due to the lack of middle management, then promptly offered some of those enjoying an early retirement their jobs back without having to pay back the ££ What a laugh.

It works in many countries, Denmark being one, young people are required to do 6 months Conscription unless they are working or in further education. They they have the choice to continue or return to civvy street. I'm not saying it is an answer, but it could be.
Actually its 4 months and if you are doing higher education you have to do your service after completion.
They have a medical and if they pass they have to draw a number.
There are 36,000 numbers in the draw, if you pick a number over 8,000 you don't have to serve.

Fair enough but I wonder if that's likely to produce a fighting force for purpose, especially if the youngsters don't feel like the system they are supposed to protect is giving them a fair deal.

Definitely some tough choices to come in terms of increasing spending on Defence versus everything else that also wants increased money. Under-staffing in clinical roles of the NHS for example gets constant media attention, issues with forward facing military roles not so much. In either if the pay, conditions and career progression etc are there, they will come. And if it's not, they won't. But there's so much more to it than chucking money into a black hole, it needs strategy.

Not sure our modern education system (where nearly everyone does A levels and Uni) and military recruitment mesh together very well either.
In the mid 60's when the school leaving age was still at 15, you could join the services as a boy entrant. The catch was you had to sign on for a 12 year enlistment.

We had new entries joining every month, hundreds at a time at HMS Ganges.near Ipswich for one month of basic training in the new entry block then 11 months of training in the main establishment for your chosen vocations, Seaman,Electricians, Marine Mechanics (stokers), Communications. When you joined your ship you could look forward to possibly at least one year overseas in the Far East during your ship's 2 to 3 years commission,

Later in the early 70's the powers that be decided no one could make the decision for that kind of a commitment at 15 so they introduced , "Discharge by Purchase", this entailed a request for D by P and every 3 months a list was announced and you might be on it, if fortunate the cost in 1975 was about 150 quid or you could complete your 12 years and sign on for I think another 10 or 12 years which in those days qualified you for a pension.

I believe now the recruits get quite upset if they are away from home for 3 months or more ??

Brian joined and was at Trafalgar with Nelson :cool:

Last edited:
Uk military is massively understaffed and can’t get recruits. The army is half the size it needs to be to be an effective fighting force. Also standards have dropped significantly but still can’t enough recruits. Might have to up the max age to enlist to 65. All those elderly people retired doing nothing except sapping all the resources, put them to work on the frontline. captain mainwaring would approve
We need to enlist the Phantom Farter.

Stealth Chemical Weapons of unknown origin.

Tony Blair and George Bush could then start a war with the East stand, for all those who don't sing as loud as Gary afcb.

;