Nonny

I still think " Eddie had a dream " holds water for us. Its not a slur on Parker, O'Neil or Iraola, it's part of our history. People say we should move on but we should be proud of the story and of what Eddie did for the club.
Exactly- the Liverpool fans were chanting “ Dalglish “ on Wednesday- I doubt anyone at the club would consider it a slight on any of the current team ..

Do Sheffield Utd still do the chip butty song at the beginning of boths halfs ??

Or have they gone all corporate too ?

I just hope they understand how deep this runs.

That's precisely the problem. I really don't think our new owners have any real grasp of what it means to be a Bournemouth supporter.

Group identity is a complex thing, but to be a Bournemouth supporter means you are aware of the decades of mediocrity, of near-misses and might-have beens. It also means that you are intensely proud of Eddie Howe and the miraculous events that began to unfold in 2009, and the incredible journey that we went on. It also means that you don't forget your history, that against all the odds we created one of the most inspirational football stories of all time. It means, as Nonny used to remind us every game, that we stand together as a defiant little army, ready to take on anyone.

That is who we are, and going to a game is an expression of that shared history, all the many things that bind us together as a community. Nonny was right at the heart of that for many years. In many ways, he represents the "soul" of who we are.

I sometimes get the impression that Jim sees going to a game as first and foremost as a gastronomic experience, linked in with a bit of business networking, with some football match happening somewhere in the distance.

Last edited:
I sometimes get the impression that Jim sees going to a game as first and foremost as a gastronomic experience, linked in with a bit of business networking, with some football match happening somewhere in the distance.
The people he's trying to sell these ridiculously expensive tickets to probably share that viewpoint. Jim's mistake is in thinking he will find such people in the ranks of our regular supporters who you so eloquently describe.

It is a 430 mile drive from Nottingham to the Mull of Kintyre.
Keep it local.

Everton and Watford - Z Cars. Just why ?

We should sing

"Oh I do like to be beside the seaside".

"Seaside Rendez Vous" by Queen
"Seaside rendezvous, so adorable
Seaside rendezvous, whoo-hoo
Seaside rendezvous, give us a kiss"

Anything by the Beach Boys. "Good Vibrations" would make us unique (Not so unique, forgot about the West Ham connection to "Vibrations").
Mull of kintyre is not a local reference - they should sing Robin Hood if so - but a rather weird player led song in a Spanish bar !

It is a 430 mile drive from Nottingham to the Mull of Kintyre.
Keep it local.

Everton and Watford - Z Cars. Just why ?

We should sing

"Oh I do like to be beside the seaside".

"Seaside Rendez Vous" by Queen
"Seaside rendezvous, so adorable
Seaside rendezvous, whoo-hoo
Seaside rendezvous, give us a kiss"

Anything by the Beach Boys. "Good Vibrations" would make us unique (Not so unique, forgot about the West Ham connection to "Vibrations").
No idea about Watford but absolutely get Z Cars for Everton as the programme was set on Merseyside and they’ve used it for years.

Palace have used “Glad all over” and City “Blue Moon” for years. You can’t force a song but likewise it has to start at some point.

I agree re The Great Escape.

For the same reason, a lot of West Ham fans I know don't like Bubbles. Essentially, it's a song about failure, not fulfilling your dreams.

Not exactly motivational, is it ?
It doesn't have to be motivational. It can be ironic, like 'Noones heard of us, we don't care.

That's precisely the problem. I really don't think our new owners have any real grasp of what it means to be a Bournemouth supporter.

Group identity is a complex thing, but to be a Bournemouth supporter means you are aware of the decades of mediocrity, of near-misses and might-have beens. It also means that you are intensely proud of Eddie Howe and the miraculous events that began to unfold in 2009, and the incredible journey that we went on. It also means that you don't forget your history, that against all the odds we created one of the most inspirational football stories of all time. It means, as Nonny used to remind us every game, that we stand together as a defiant little army, ready to take on anyone.

That is who we are, and going to a game is an expression of that shared history, all the many things that bind us together as a community. Nonny was right at the heart of that for many years. In many ways, he represents the "soul" of who we are.

Absolutely beautifully put David. I haven't seen such a clear, concise summary of our love for this club and Nonny's place in it. If anything should be placed before our current owners it is that.

Reading your posts it is clear that you are at the more "doubting" end of the spectrum and I am more at the "trusting" end. I fully accept that may be a reflection of my naivety and I may need to wise up a bit.

I don't agree with all the criticism I have seen of the new regime (a fair bit I do) but I feel that we're approaching a seminal moment where the considerable number of "benefit of the doubt" folk like me could change their views very quickly. I sincerely hope a rift doesn't develop because it can only be damaging.

Nonny unites this fanbase uniquely for all the reasons you so eloquently describe and will become the touchstone for all that is going on.

Take note Jim... I might not be the only one who needs to wise up a bit.

Another entirely speculative suggestion…

Modern culture now seemingly driven by “identity politics” and all the related oddities … Is there a chance that some within club (with their corporate citizen hats on) are advancing an argument that actively supporting and enticing a chant of “red army” might in some way be offensive to some section of society due to its association with military action and its implicit support of the “white patriarchy.”

A few over-60s moaning on here (myself included) really isn't going to make the clu turn up some long-ago imagined level of tinpotedness. We're getting an upgrade to the training facility, maybe a new stadium and different marketing ideas coming through.

Like it or not, playershare etc is long gone.
I can’t wait until opposition fans sing “ where were you when you were shît”

Well, in that case Ar
Another entirely speculative suggestion…

Modern culture now seemingly driven by “identity politics” and all the related oddities … Is there a chance that some within club (with their corporate citizen hats on) are advancing an argument that actively supporting and enticing a chant of “red army” might in some way be offensive to some section of society due to its association with military action and its implicit support of the “white patriarchy.”
Well, in that case, Arsenal had better change their nickname.

The Gunners ? An outrageous celebration of militarism, and by extension, British imperialism !

No idea about Watford but absolutely get Z Cars for Everton as the programme was set on Merseyside and they’ve used it for years.

Palace have used “Glad all over” and City “Blue Moon” for years. You can’t force a song but likewise it has to start at some point.
Wasn't Z Cars Graham Taylor's favourite TV programme ?

A few over-60s moaning on here (myself included) really isn't going to make the clu turn up some long-ago imagined level of tinpotedness. We're getting an upgrade to the training facility, maybe a new stadium and different marketing ideas coming through.

Like it or not, playershare etc is long gone.
Tinpotedness. I'm asking Oxford to include this.

Well, in that case Ar

Well, in that case, Arsenal had better change their nickname.

The Gunners ? An outrageous celebration of militarism, and by extension, British imperialism !
My post was tongue in cheek but it’s an utterly crazy world right now. The Washington NFL franchise is a case in point.

I can’t wait until opposition fans sing “ where were you when you were shît”

I would imagine Swindon , Bristol rovers , Reading , Exeter and all the rest would give us a pretty good rendition if we had to lower ourselves to play them in a Micky mouse cup game …yuck perish the thought

;