Oscar Zambrano

Start them in Auckland?

That would be the worst place to start a footballer.

Even I look like Pele amongst this lot.

NZ is a rugby nation and always will be.

I know Bill has business interests in NZ and some wineries and corporate boutique hotels....... but come on, NZ and soccer don't mix.

Never have, never will.

Don't reinvent the wheel Bill.

Next he'll be trying to sell bacon to Muslim countries.

It's cheap for a reason, the Auckland franchise......it's because they don't even play the sport.

There is zero chance of any home grown NZ football player getting elevated into the PL.

The only example we have across 30 years is the big War Carthorse Chris Woods.

Do we sign players and demote them to NZ, because there won't be any ones who get elevated to the top of the pile?
Agree. The gap in class between the A league and Premier is just not worth contemplating. I would be gobsmacked if any of our players ever end up in Auckland. France or Hibs possibly but no way NZ. If we do send signings over here, I would suggest we have as signed someone who won't make it with us

Agree. The gap in class between the A league and Premier is just not worth contemplating. I would be gobsmacked if any of our players ever end up in Auckland. France or Hibs possibly but no way NZ. If we do send signings over here, I would suggest we have as signed someone who won't make it with us

What about youngsters? Heck of a life experience for late teenagers to experience as an option rather than non league loans?

Agree with the above. When Brighton sell someone, they either have someone in-house to immediately replace them, or can go and sign that player within a few days.

Some don’t want to be a “selling club” like Brighton but I tell you want, I wouldn’t mind winning a Europa League group and finishing in the top 10 every year!
Agreed, there are only a couple of clubs in the world that are not selling clubs, so cherries are in a place yes we have to sell but now we have dont have to sell to survive. We can now sell on our terms so as long as the Coach and the owner are happy with the price we are offered no one will be leaving!

What about youngsters? Heck of a life experience for late teenagers to experience as an option rather than non league loans?

Also, who's to say Australian league won't pickup? Some decent players out there... even if not perhaps at NZ clubs at present. Several Forest Champ promotion players went there after Forest were promoted. Plus fair amount of other Champ level players.

Like you say, also could appeal for other reasons. Its far from being park level league and could grow.

Reckon Foley and his associates see potential for this, and worth relatively small outlay/risk versus possible rewards to pioneer a new era potentially out there. He could play big part in raising its stature appeal... rather than following trends with already established leagues that are more difficult to'disrupt', change culture...

'Westernized' country, that does hold appeal for not insignificant number of people from Uk and other countries, with huge interest in sport - albeit not football at present (afaik).

Particularly appealing if you like BBQ's.

Reactions: DJ
Same goes really, if we’re sending a young player to either non league or New Zealand then it’s highly unlikely that they will ever come remotely close to making it here, I don’t really get his New Zealand purchase from a footballing perspective, if what he’s said about the multi club model being designed to benefit us is true. I can only assume that there must be commercial reasons for it. France, Belgium, Scottish clubs can/have all produced players that can make it over here.

That kid that came on yesterday. He was at Poole Town last year. Surely the a league with real crowds would have been better for his development and roundedness. I think that’s what Bill means rather than sending million pound players there who are more likely to go to his European stable.

Same goes really, if we’re sending a young player to either non league or New Zealand then it’s highly unlikely that they will ever come remotely close to making it here,

Danny Ings and many others would disagree with you.

Same goes really, if we’re sending a young player to either non league or New Zealand then it’s highly unlikely that they will ever come remotely close to making it here, I don’t really get his New Zealand purchase from a footballing perspective, if what he’s said about the multi club model being designed to benefit us is true. I can only assume that there must be commercial reasons for it. France, Belgium, Scottish clubs can/have all produced players that can make it over here.
Jaidon Anthony and Mark Travers went to Weymouth

How good is this lad?

The latest twitter gossip now suggesting that Man U have the upper hand in this pursuit. To be fair to Bill, he never named the South American that may be coming our way. Wonder if this is a smokescreen for someone else?

The latest twitter gossip now suggesting that Man U have the upper hand in this pursuit. To be fair to Bill, he never named the South American that may be coming our way. Wonder if this is a smokescreen for someone else?

As always I doubt we are in for one player only ,I guess there are multiple targets that have been identified and it all depends how the different cards fall as to who we bring in.

Agree with the life experience DJ.
Just feel that the A-league is a big step down and, if this kid is being chased by the likes of us and Man U, then surely Lorient or Hibs may be a better option, in my opinion. Also, remember the A-league does not start till October so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Agree with the life experience DJ.
Just feel that the A-league is a big step down and, if this kid is being chased by the likes of us and Man U, then surely Lorient or Hibs may be a better option, in my opinion. Also, remember the A-league does not start till October so that needs to be taken into consideration.

Oh totally agree. I don’t see any signings making that move. But for development players it could be an option.

How good is this lad?

He's a good player to be fair. Welington Phoenix have also unearthed a really good, young keeper in Alex Paulsen who is only 20/21 and is an excellent shot stopper and saves quite a few penalties.
Old is an attacking CM in the managers preferred set up of 4-3-2-1 and, like most of the squad, is still young and has come through the Academy.

Oh totally agree. I don’t see any signings making that move. But for development players it could be an option.
Yep, for some of them it would be an awesome experience having pre-season with us, then popping over for 6 months to NZ and Australia and hopefully playing regular games.

Reactions: DJ
Danny Ings and many others would disagree with
If I remember right we lost Pitman before the end of the summer transfer window and Mcquid was his replacement . After Mcquids, was it 2 hat tricks on the spin and become Mr bigtime and wanted to leave we had no choice but to use Ings .
Strange how things work out

Start them in Auckland?

That would be the worst place to start a footballer.

Even I look like Pele amongst this lot.

NZ is a rugby nation and always will be.

I know Bill has business interests in NZ and some wineries and corporate boutique hotels....... but come on, NZ and soccer don't mix.

Never have, never will.

Don't reinvent the wheel Bill.

Next he'll be trying to sell bacon to Muslim countries.

It's cheap for a reason, the Auckland franchise......it's because they don't even play the sport.

There is zero chance of any home grown NZ football player getting elevated into the PL.

The only example we have across 30 years is the big War Carthorse Chris Woods.

Do we sign players and demote them to NZ, because there won't be any ones who get elevated to the top of the pile?
It somewhat dimishes your point saying something has zero chance of happening when you follow it up with an example of it happening.

You've confused the NZNL with the A League which has produced many Premier League players.

Finally, players don't need to be Premier League ready to plays for Lorient or Hibs.

;