Our Best Loan Player?

Ray Train was very impressive, shame we couldn't have signed him. Charlie George was on loan, saw him play for us but nothing in the memory bank.
Train played in the FA Cup defeat of Manchester United I think.

I do have an image of George on the pitch but that’s it.

Back in the 70s, loan players I had hoped we would sign

Defender Forbes Philippson masters
Norwich winger Steve grapes
Bruce stuckey, Reading midfielder

I think remember him and him being excellent
He was excellent. My abiding memory of him was when he made a fair but crunching tackle on a Bristol Rover's forward at Twerton in 1995. As the Brovers player performed a high speed sequence of rolls over our goal line and into the hoardings, Duberry was clearly heard to say "have some of that". He was just 20.

Based on his performances for us a truly stellar career could have been expected but he came up against Marcel Desailly and Frank Leboeuf at Chelsea.

Based on the Duberry and Ferdinand loan spells with us it would have been hard to pick who would have the better career.

Clever guy though https://www.madeleaders.co.uk/founder

Long article from the Manchester United website you might be interested in on George Best and his time at AFCB.

In the last para below it mentions paying at the turnstiles, those were the days.

The article is from three years ago.

Impey describes how a friend ended up driving him and Best back to the latter’s hotel after his debut, while Best’s car, driven by a young pro, set off first, pursued by a gaggle of photographers. “He was actually quite an introvert,” Impey says, with sympathy. “I don’t think people have spoken enough about that, or what he had upstairs [in his head] – he was really sharp.

“And what it did for the team, the way it lifted us, put us on a pedestal – me, and young players like Nigel Spackman – we were playing alongside one of the greatest players the world has seen.”

Best’s five games – much to the disappointment of Bournemouth’s opponents – featured only one match on the road, a 0-0 draw with Southend, while fans at Dean Court were left to guess whether the iconic Northern Irishman would line up come matchday. “We had a home game with Doncaster on 2 May, by which time Best had returned,” says Vacher. George had gone on a walkabout in London, and given Cherries’ managing director Brian Tiler, who’d pursued him there, the slip. Catching his approaching reflection in the mirror of a pub bar, Best had swiftly disappeared via the toilets. “But he got injured and missed the match,” Vacher continues. “So, they knocked up these signs to put on the entrance: ‘George Best will not be playing today’, so everybody knew that before paying to get in.”

Quite a high probability sadly.
According to the regulars there was a very posh spa resort nearby (it's still there) and the media camped outside, convinced he was staying there. He probably was but spent every evening in the pub and the media were oblivious.

I'd totally forgotten about Keith Scott. Didn't he get sent off on his debut?

Not sure if it was his debut or not, but he was sent off away at a patched together, cr4p hull side, at Boothferry - they had serious financial issues and were relegated.

We went 1 up early doors and we were preparing for an easy afternoon there, then Scott got sent off for something silly and the game ended 1 all.

He was a decent player at some point, he was at Swindon before... possibly fir their 1 season in the PL.

Going back to the Charlie George game against Posh, I have a memory of Eddie Kelly playing for us in that game. Both of the Arsenal cup winning goal scorers of the '71 final...Probably imagining it.

Also Jimmy Neighbour came down here in the early 80's. Played at Exeter when we got spanked 4-2 IIRC.

Going back to the Charlie George game against Posh, I have a memory of Eddie Kelly playing for us in that game. Both of the Arsenal cup winning goal scorers of the '71 final...Probably imagining it.

Also Jimmy Neighbour came down here in the early 80's. Played at Exeter when we got spanked 4-2 IIRC.
My first trip to St James Park. Trevor Morgan got two (I looked it up).

For ability and for producing in the best league in the world, it's Ake.
Our club record sale of £40m 3 years ago who has since won 3 leagues in a row and a treble.

I do have fond memories of Steve Jones my first hero as a kid even though I think he came permanently during the great escape but came back later on loan. I think Jones is under appreciated for the impact he made here in a short space of time. Defoe and Stein also deserve mentions.

;