Our much maligned recruitment policy...

New Forest Cherry

Star Player
loads in the media in the last few months about how poor we've been in the transfer market siting solanke and ibe as (the only) examples - I seem to recall that glen johnson being particularly obsessed

the usual lazy journalism we've become accustomed to blown apart by ake and ramsdale with more to follow no doubt

just one feature of the epl I wont miss

loads in the media in the last few months about how poor we've been in the transfer market siting solanke and ibe as (the only) examples - I seem to recall that glen johnson being particularly obsessed

the usual lazy journalism we've become accustomed to blown apart by ake and ramsdale with more to follow no doubt

just one feature of the epl I wont miss

Glenn Johnson this week (maybe) “I’ve heard they only left because they fell out with Tindall”

Whether we like it or not the outside world has a clear view of our recruitment policy largely based around Solanke and Ibe. Not many people in the game could believe either transfer and they’ve been proved right. We also barely used a lot of our expensive signings in the early days and left them sat on the bench.

If you add in the relatively high profile signings (as in people have heard of them)of Murray and Defoe that joined for a system that didn’t exist and Danjuma who a lot of clubs looked at and we paid over the odds on to get then tried to convert him into a wide midfielder and you can see why the issue is. Every fan of other clubs I speak to always says that Eddie was a great manager but not good at transfers. That’s the wisdom out there.

The issue is that our best signings were often cheap... King, Wilson, Fraser, Ramsdale etc so didn’t warrant column inches and most rival fans and pundits won’t be aware of if we signed them or developed them. An Everton fan said to me last week ‘if King is that good why hasn’t he got an England cap but Wilson has’. That’s kind of what you are dealing with.

We have massively overrated our players...
....they couldn't keep us above Brighton.( £CS - For Christ Sake FC) !.
Whichever way you see it....the overall Transfer Dealing was catastrophic....and its still going on.....and Fans Obsessed with shipping good players out on Loan.

Its a Disaster.. a 5 Star, you can't bend it, shake it, do the okey cokey , Disaster !. We just want a Potent Football Team to deliver us from Weevils ( they live in Readings Biscuits and will be gunning for us ).

We have massively overrated our players...

And yet you are slating the sale of Ramsdale on another thread. Or is he an exception?

Travers probably would have been one of the “good players shipped out on loan” so that should make you happy.

There have been bad signings that can’t be denied but our transfer policy is far from a disaster.

Whether we like it or not the outside world has a clear view of our recruitment policy largely based around Solanke and Ibe. Not many people in the game could believe either transfer and they’ve been proved right. We also barely used a lot of our expensive signings in the early days and left them sat on the bench.

If you add in the relatively high profile signings (as in people have heard of them)of Murray and Defoe that joined for a system that didn’t exist and Danjuma who a lot of clubs looked at and we paid over the odds on to get then tried to convert him into a wide midfielder and you can see why the issue is. Every fan of other clubs I speak to always says that Eddie was a great manager but not good at transfers. That’s the wisdom out there.

The issue is that our best signings were often cheap... King, Wilson, Fraser, Ramsdale etc so didn’t warrant column inches and most rival fans and pundits won’t be aware of if we signed them or developed them. An Everton fan said to me last week ‘if King is that good why hasn’t he got an England cap but Wilson has’. That’s kind of what you are dealing with.
Presumably you explained to him that hes Norwegian?

Who gives a toss what the outside world thinks? Five years in the Prem taught me that 90% of people haven't got a clue what they're on about when discussing bottom half teams.

Indeed, I wouldn’t try and offer a Crystal Palace fan an opinion on their transfer policy because quite frankly I’m not stupid enough to presume I know more than they do.

Nothing wrong with our recruitment policy, we have many talented players. There is however a lot wrong with our previous manager’s abilities to play a system that gets the best out of them. I’ve heard people say that relegation last year doesn’t taint Howe’s reputation, I’m afraid these people are wrong. Any top flight club is taking a huge risk now by appointing a man who is capable of getting a squad with so much quality relegated. I know it’s unfashionable to say anything negative against Eddie but the fact that he managed to get this group relegated is absolutely criminal.

as I said, general ignorance

And yet you are slating the sale of Ramsdale on another thread. Or is he an exception?

Travers probably would have been one of the “good players shipped out on loan” so that should make you happy.

There have been bad signings that can’t be denied but our transfer policy is far from a disaster.
Well then I obviously didn't mean Ramsdale too...did I ?...I should have said 'many' of our players...we did fall short of requirements on the pitch in the past two seasons.
Had Ramsdale not played and therefore not been fans ' Player of the Season'...I'm sure it would have been Travers!
..not any of the incomers!

;