Our Season - An Alternative View

Brents Goulet

New Signing
So much wild over-reaction...
We are 12th in the Premier League
We haven't been in this league for team years, or fallen from the Champions League
We haven't spent 300m on players who haven't performed
We don't have a manager who has been there or done that (yet)
Our young players are learning (Cook, Ake)
The old-guard are creaking but still with us
We've had highs (Arsenal and Everton at home, Chelsea away)
And lows (Saints away being the most recent)
Since Saturday I've read about Eddie needing to have a good look at himself (I think he does this every day as it happens)
I've read how our players are over-paid (that's capitalism, and the Premier League)
I've read so much over-reaction
Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion
Yes Saturday was poor
Yes it is a football forum where we are all free to debate
But seriously...
The world's gone mad......

I think you are right. It’s always an over reaction football. When we beat Bolton we over reacted, the rest of the world saw it like we did last year for Huddersfield. Nice story move on. Not for us though...it made our lives complete!

My lad burst into tears at the end ( he gets his emotions from his mum). I reminded him there’s kids visiting their parents in cancer hospitals...that’s worth an over reaction football isn’t.

The reality is we will always over react. That’s what makes the game special. A chance to shift the power base of South Coast football went through lack of effort. The same lack of application and effort that has persisted for the lion share of the season. That will get a reaction. You are right though...in the big scheme of things it’s no big deal. That requires rational thought though.

I wouldn't go as far as 'furious'... Just 'really disappointed' would be ample for me.

Like I've said, I don't actually blame the players in the way some on here do, saying they couldn't care less etc. etc. For me, it's more about ability, or lack of, and Saturday's performance has capped off a sh*tty few weeks, highlighting that we have too many that have run their course as PL starters. That's not an overreaction either, it's an undeniable fact...

Anyone that questions our form of late... Just take a look at the BBC Lg table, there isn't much in the way of green 'W' boxes next to our name...

....interview bingo......"I was disappointed with their goals" ...."this is a difficult place to come"....." we will be looking at that and trying to learn from it"...." the boys are very down, but will bouce back"....."we know what it means to the fans"...

words are cheap, learn from the mistakes, and stop keep making same ones !

And that was a party political broadcast by association football club Bournemouth .

I think some of the comments are overblown on this site and social media in general. I was disappointed rather than furious and it took a wonder save to stop us getting a point. We all recognise we have reached a water-shed moment with some old favourites and we need to restore the intensity of play.

No need for panic or anger. Eddie knows what is happening and will resolve. Easier to do over summer than mid season.

So much wild over-reaction...
We are 12th in the Premier League
We haven't been in this league for team years, or fallen from the Champions League
We haven't spent 300m on players who haven't performed
We don't have a manager who has been there or done that (yet)
Our young players are learning (Cook, Ake)
The old-guard are creaking but still with us
We've had highs (Arsenal and Everton at home, Chelsea away)
And lows (Saints away being the most recent)
Since Saturday I've read about Eddie needing to have a good look at himself (I think he does this every day as it happens)
I've read how our players are over-paid (that's capitalism, and the Premier League)
I've read so much over-reaction
Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion
Yes Saturday was poor
Yes it is a football forum where we are all free to debate
But seriously...
The world's gone mad......

You weren't there I take it...

If you were then can you do an alternative match report ? I'd love to see it.

I think some of the comments are overblown on this site and social media in general. I was disappointed rather than furious and it took a wonder save to stop us getting a point. We all recognise we have reached a water-shed moment with some old favourites and we need to restore the intensity of play.

No need for panic or anger. Eddie knows what is happening and will resolve. Easier to do over summer than mid season.

That wonder save was matched by a few by Asmir so you can’t judge a result on a save. Let’s face it the way the team’s been playing that result was always on the cards so let’s get that point against Swansea and get ready to do the whole thing again in August.

That wonder save was matched by a few by Asmir so you can’t judge a result on a save. Let’s face it the way the team’s been playing that result was always on the cards so let’s get that point against Swansea and get ready to do the whole thing again in August.

I agree, wasn’t trying to gloss over a poor display, just having stayed at 2-1 fraser’s effort would have drawn the game. No doubt that Southampton looked more dangerous from lower possession stats.

Let’s face facts guys, we only have 3 maybe 4 players in our squad with the technical ability and quality demanded by the EPL. The rest of our squad have to perform at their best to get good results which does not happen every week.
We definitely missed Stan and Smudgers technical ability against saints and it was evident for all to see. We must buy in 4 maybe 5 quality players in the summer to survive next season.

Yesterday evening the Good Lady said "I'm going to move on. It's over 24 hours now, I've been angry, disappointed, frustrated, angry,annoyed, I've just checked the B.B.C. sports page and the result's still the same." : )

Then she added, " Saturday's my 100th Premier League match watching the Lads. When we started going, I was quite happy thinking my "football career" would be League 1 and 2 until I couldn't go anymore. But Eddie and the Lads have given me over 60 Championship matches and 101 Prems when the season ends." : )

Let’s face facts guys, we only have 3 maybe 4 players in our squad with the technical ability and quality demanded by the EPL. The rest of our squad have to perform at their best to get good results which does not happen every week.
We definitely missed Stan and Smudgers technical ability against saints and it was evident for all to see. We must buy in 4 maybe 5 quality players in the summer to survive next season.

That's an opinion not a fact.

A fact would be "if we stay up the squad was by definition of sufficient PL quality"

I'm as annoyed as anyone but we have only one objective these days and if we achieve it we were good enough.

I don't really agree with this. Teams don't survive in the PL for 3 seasons without the ability. Too many people patronise the ability of our squad with the "overachieving" label.

If we only have 3-4 PL quality players than that would apply to most sides in the bottom half too. If so many sides are lacking in PL quality players, then we are guilty of overestimating what PL quality actual is.

I think DodgerCherry makes an obviously valid point about ' the rest of the squad having to be at their best to get results. But that means ALL of them, not just one or two in addition to the quality players...and that only happens occasionally giving us 9 wins supplemented by enough draws to achieve a somewhat respectable total, which get us anywhere between 10th to 16th approximately: So if we did acquire 4 or 5 more quality or at least better players, surely that could mean an easy 8th to 10th finish.
As SDD says though....it's only opinion because if we stay up that means it's a fact proved that we were good enough with those players.......but judging by the last few games that could easily change without additions next season.
Watford attempt to go above us on points tonight. Up the Cherries!

Last edited:
We are AFC Bournemouth and we are in the Premier League.

We are fighting above our weight in terms of finance, ground, facilities, players’ income, supporters and other infrastructure.

My hopes for the club, being in the Premier League, continue to be met (I hope for another season).

I was desperately disappointed when we lost and by the way we played, on Saturday. I don’t think, apart from Chelsea and Arsenal, we have played as we did last season, when we excelled ourselves and exceeded all expectations.

Success is still, in my eyes, staying in the division.

I do not think myself a happy clapper. I just have a memory of 60 years of supporting a team that have never been here before.

I am still enjoying the ride and I suggest that everyone does.

Disappointment is short term and will only last until the next win, although last Saturday may stay in the mind for a little while.

:utc:

;