Our Season - An Alternative View

I dont think we have been great for large parts of the season but to say players are lacking in effort seems nonsense from what I have watched.

I honestly can't see how anybody that was at the game on Saturday could be anything other than absolutely furious with the team at the moment. Especially anyone who has been every time we've been there and bottled it.

It is NOT overreaction.

Largely agree with Brent when it comes to people suggesting we wipe out the whole squad and build again. That's an overreaction.

The response to the capitulation against the shivering wreck of a team in the shape of Southampton at the weekend. I'm not sure it's possible to overreact in condemnation.

I dont think we have been great for large parts of the season but to say players are lacking in effort seems nonsense from what I have watched.
I am inclined to agree. "Effort" is such a subjective evaluation. I will temper that by saying that my football knowledge is way behind most of you, so you may be seeing something that I just don't see. Are the boys not trying .... why would they do that? Lack of focus perhaps more in line with my view, maybe guys out of position, or maybe the wrong game plan. I have said it before that football is a meritocracy, and an unfair one at that given the absence of a "salary cap" to level the field. But breaks, injuries, bounces and calls should even out over 38 games, and we are a team with 38 points with an upside of 44. That's what we are ... in the English Premier League. Still pretty darn good. Next year.... impossible to predict at this stage, some teams will get stronger, others will not, and three new teams will arrive. Hope to be in the "get stronger" camp.

I was there, thanks for checking in!

Checking in?

We are all as raw as **************** and like clockwork you pop up as usual and post a load of 'alternative' patronising bollox stuff.

If its the usual feelgood response then I get it, trust me I posted similar a few weeks ago..this is just too early in my opinion but its wearing thin. I can't help but think the players had your smugness factor before they stepped foot on the pitch.

Last edited:
Checking in?

We are all as raw as **** and like clockwork you pop up as usual and post a load of 'alternative' patronising bollox stuff.

If its the usual feelgood response then I get it, trust me I posted similar a few weeks ago..this is just too early in my opinion but its wearing thin. I can't help but think the players had your smugness factor before they stepped foot on the pitch.

Too soon Brents Goulet, clearly too soon.

We are AFC Bournemouth and we are in the Premier League.

We are fighting above our weight in terms of finance, ground, facilities, players’ income, supporters and other infrastructure.

My hopes for the club, being in the Premier League, continue to be met (I hope for another season).

I was desperately disappointed when we lost and by the way we played, on Saturday. I don’t think, apart from Chelsea and Arsenal, we have played as we did last season, when we excelled ourselves and exceeded all expectations.

Success is still, in my eyes, staying in the division.

I do not think myself a happy clapper. I just have a memory of 60 years of supporting a team that have never been here before.

I am still enjoying the ride and I suggest that everyone does.

Disappointment is short term and will only last until the next win, although last Saturday may stay in the mind for a little while.

:utc:

My memory doesn't stretch back 60 years but it stretches back long enough to know that the disappointment of sh*tting the bed time after time after time at St Marys is unfortunately not a short-term thing.

There's no dressing it up - they've mugged us every time we've played there and I think they've probably only played well for half a game in that time.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me what league we are in.

Fourteen times we have played there and never won. Don’t think we have played well either since 1988...we were good that night although still without winning...

Fourteen times we have played there and never won. Don’t think we have played well either since 1988...we were good that night although still without winning...
I have a vague memory of a win in one of the cups (Hampshire Professional, maybe?) in ??early 80's.....I recall the song of the night was "1-0 down, 3-2 up, we knocked scummers out the cup".

Can't find it on t'interweb, can anyone with a better memory remind me?

I was upset just like most of us on here. If your not up for a game against Southampton at this time of the season whats the point of putting on the shirt. Some of our players need to have a good hard look at themselves.
End of rant.

Cheers

I think DodgerCherry makes an obviously valid point about ' the rest of the squad having to be at their best to get results. But that means ALL of them, not just one or two in addition to the quality players...and that only happens occasionally giving us 9 wins supplemented by enough draws to achieve a somewhat respectable total, which get us anywhere between 10th to 16th approximately: So if we did acquire 4 or 5 more quality or at least better players, surely that could mean an easy 8th to 10th finish.
As SDD says though....it's only opinion because if we stay up that means it's a fact proved that we were good enough with those players.......but judging by the last few games that could easily change without additions next season.
Watford attempt to go above us on points tonight. Up the Cherries!
I believe that the difference between our performances last season and the current one was having Jack Wilshere performing his magic in midfield. Whilst young Lewis is a fabulous player, Jacks experience was there to see and in most games he was outstanding.

I've seen pretty much every minute of AFCB's season.

It's not just Saturday, it's the whole season pretty much.

We were supposed to be moving onward and upwards.

We're not.

THIS........
This is what I'm talking about
This mind-set; we were supposed to be moving onwards and upwards and we aren't......
We've moved onwards and upwards for six consecutive seasons, and for the first time in that period we wont beat the previous season's performance, but still, we may well finish mid-table in the Premier League (we currently sit in 12th)
Some of our fans have such a sense of entitlement, it's frightening

THIS........
This mind-set; we were supposed to be moving onwards and upwards and we aren't......
We've moved onwards and upwards for six consecutive seasons, and for the first time in that period we wont beat the previous season's performance, but still, we may well finish mid-table in the Premier League (we currently sit in 12th)
I agree with your point. At some stage a glass ceiling will be reached. Perhaps 9th last season was it, or perhaps we're in a transition phase where the old squad will slowly be broken up and that will mean a period of one step back to take further steps forward etc.

But for all of that...

It doesn't make Saturday any less embarrassing.

THIS........

I can't speak for anyone else but my problems with how we have gone about things are two-fold. Just try to get as far as possible in the cups and stop sh*tting the bed every time we play in Southampton.

Nothing to do with the level we are at and it will always be an issue that can't be righted by this banal 'look where we are' argument. Whatever level we have been at - not giving everything to win is always an issue and it always will be.

THIS........

I can’t speak on behalf of Ken but moving onwards and upwards doesn’t necessarily mean results or league position. To me it means level of performance and attitude. Results will vary because it’s a sport based on luck, referees whims and injuries.

We had a decent season and level of performance last year. We didn’t lose our star players and we have been fortunate with injuries relative to our competitor set. We were also given £130m to strengthen on all of that.

That should have meant a better level of performance and effort (not results). We chose to use the money (apart from Ake) on positions that were low in priority and ignore the key central midfield lack of quality. We had two players capable of dominating Premier League midfields and we left one on the bench for too long and fell out with the other. That’s the key to our issue. We then blew our wage bill to sign a natural goal scorer with limited movement. I think this has upset morale but it’s just a rumour. Either way...every time he plays we look like we have ten men on the pitch. We needed a forward that attacked crosses, we already had four that do what Defoe did.

Because of all this we have taken one point off a dismal Southampton side, been out fought in most games but relied on a good last ten minutes. We were outplayed twice by West Brom ffs. I think we have played well for 90 minutes three times all year.

That is a significant backward step whichever way you look at it. We are not a league two club anymore. Everyone wants the huge wages. Now they have to earn them.

I will give you a real example. I’ve been to Liverpool three times. First year I saw a team fight their socks off...so proud to play there. Fought every inch and denied by a ref. Second year same effort but with more quality. Never stopped running and ground them down to nick a point.

This year... Defoe didn’t chase one ball, Ibe gave up every cause, Cook sat off them in midfield, Gosling didn’t put a shift in at all. All very complacent and over deserving of being there. That’s not the fault of the league one old guard...they kept the score line respectable.

Liverpool fans after the game saying that we didn’t put up same fight...

You can’t ignore evidence in front of your eyes.

Entitlement????

FFS, have you read any of my other 15,000 posts?

It's not entitlement.

It's called hope.

I hope my team does well.

When it doesn't I'm unhappy.

Right now I'm just starting to doubt what the nice man says in his press conferences.
There's times when what he says and the reality on the pitch are at odds with each other.

;