Our Unbeaten Runs Back in Season 1981/82

paul49

UTC Legend
Here's our result sequence back in 1981/82 :-

W W W D W W D W D L L W W W D W D D D W D D L W W W W W L D D D W D D W W W W W D W D D D D

Played 46 Won 23 Drawn 19 Lost 4 Goals for 62 Against 30 points 88 and finished 4th in Division 4

Of those losses one at home and 3 away.

It was a great run-in. One of those draws was at Sheffield Utd where we went down to 10-men early on.

I went to Gillingham and Bristol City which we lost! But loved going to Wigan, Sheffield and Bradford.

I think we lost twice to Gillingham and recall Cascarino scoring in their win down here. Two nil?
great season, right up to securing promotion when the fans ‘celebrated on the pitch together’

We didn't play Gillingham that season , our last match was against Hereford 1-1
The four games we lost were Peterborough Away 0-1, Aldershot Away 0-2
Bradford Home 0-2, Northampton Away 0-1

We didn't play Gillingham that season , our last match was against Hereford 1-1
The four games we lost were Peterborough Away 0-1, Aldershot Away 0-2
Bradford Home 0-2, Northampton Away 0-1
You're right, thank you. I was mixing up my promotion seasons! Gills & BCFC were 86/87.

Away games I did were Dorchester (FA Cup), Torquay (W), Northampton (L), Port Vale, Wigan, Sheffield Utd & Bradford (D).

I went to Bradford on that last day, very strange with them getting the result they needed and we both went up. I walked across the pitch after as we'd sat in the main stand and I remember some home fans getting a bit funny with away fans. But happy days!

I think we lost twice to Gillingham and recall Cascarino scoring in their win down here. Two nil?
great season, right up to securing promotion when the fans ‘celebrated on the pitch together’

You must be joking about the fans 'celebrating on the pitch together' at Bradford City! We didn't get on the pitch, hundreds of Bradford fans wanted to kill us and were held back by half a dozen brave coppers with their truncheons drawn.
And a week later we did the same to Hereford fans chasing them out of the Beach end as part of our 'celebrations'. All pretty normal matchday stuff back then.

You must be joking about the fans 'celebrating on the pitch together' at Bradford City! We didn't get on the pitch, hundreds of Bradford fans wanted to kill us and were held back by half a dozen brave coppers with their truncheons drawn.
And a week later we did the same to Hereford fans chasing them out of the Beach end as part of our 'celebrations'. All pretty normal matchday stuff back then.

that was a quote from one of the history of AFCB publications. I was at Bradford and it was terrifying. We were in the side terrace and as the game drew to a close stood as close to the halfway line as possible. After the final whistle the Bradford fans came onto the pitch and headed for the away fans. We were next to a policeman who said ‘I should bloody run if I were you’. We walked straight through the away fans along the side, and then through the home end, all the while trying to look northern. We got out, ran to the car, got in locked the windows and escaped.

that was a quote from one of the history of AFCB publications. I was at Bradford and it was terrifying. We were in the side terrace and as the game drew to a close stood as close to the halfway line as possible. After the final whistle the Bradford fans came onto the pitch and headed for the away fans. We were next to a policeman who said ‘I should bloody run if I were you’. We walked straight through the away fans along the side, and then through the home end, all the while trying to look northern. We got out, ran to the car, got in locked the windows and escaped.

Interested to know how you made yourselved "look northern" ;)

impressive! but must have been massively frustrating at the time to have come so far and then go winless for the last 4 games of the season.
In those 46 games we played like Burnley, we didn't score many (62) and didn't let many in (30). That's why we drew so many games, 19 in all.

That was the year Charlie George played two games for us and Eddie Kelly thirteen.
It's amazing how the performances were so consistent with only four, Funnell, Sulley, Heffernan and Impey playing more than 40 games and the rest made up of almost two different groups for the first then second half of the season

;