Parky criticism

dj_silver

Fans' Favourite
Lots of Fulham fans, it appeared to be ecstatic about SP leaving due to his style of football, defensive, boring etc.

I have to 'fess up I am not a student of the game, studying how teams play in minute detail, formations etc.
Those of you who are, how did last night's match look compared to what we have heard about his style of play?
Did it look similar or is it possible for a manager to change his style dramatically?

Hard to tell based on the low quality of opposition, but for what it’s worth:
-He seemed to want to implement a high press. Centre backs pushed up to the half way line while in possession. Players swarmed the opposition immediately when possession was lost. It was a world away from the passive style out of possession we have become accustomed to. It may only be a friendly but the fact he seems to want his players to play this way even in a meaningless warm up game is very positive in my opinion.
-while in possession the emphasis was on creating triangles out wide in order to beat a low block. We lined up with two attacking midfielders playing in front of a deep lying play maker. We had two wide forwards and our full backs were tasked with pushing very high up the pitch. Most of the opportunities we created came from combination play between these three players on either side of the pitch. For me it was a positive first showing with regards to Parker’s intentions for the team going forward.

Parker was given a team of loan players and saw Fulham outclassed as they let in 3 and 4 in most games at the start of last season. Turned it around by getting the team tight at the back. Was it his team (doesn’t sound like it) or did did he have to adapt to play the hand that he was given?

Only saw the very short highlights on COWS but was impressed with what I saw. I know it was not a great opponent but with a lot of our younger players out there equaled it up a little. Time will tell if our squad allows SP to change his way of setting up a team. I just wish he'd make more eye contact when interviewed rather than looking at the sky or scenery. To me a good man-manager needs to make good eye contact to get his points across.

Only saw the very short highlights on COWS but was impressed with what I saw. I know it was not a great opponent but with a lot of our younger players out there equaled it up a little. Time will tell if our squad allows SP to change his way of setting up a team. I just wish he'd make more eye contact when interviewed rather than looking at the sky or scenery. To me a good man-manager needs to make good eye contact to get his points across.
I noticed that too when he's talking to the players. Maybe he's really uncomfortable with it.

I was once told that people don't like making eye contact because they don't like to be looked at. Not sure how true that is but it seemed right.

Lots of Fulham fans, it appeared to be ecstatic about SP leaving due to his style of football, defensive, boring etc.

I have to 'fess up I am not a student of the game, studying how teams play in minute detail, formations etc.
Those of you who are, how did last night's match look compared to what we have heard about his style of play?
Did it look similar or is it possible for a manager to change his style dramatically?
From what I read during the appointment saga, quite a number of the Fulham fans seemed to state opinion/rumour as fact whilst having quite the fondness for contradiction. I wouldn’t read too much into what they said about Parker’s supposed defensive mindset. I’ll make my opinion once we’re 15-20 games in.

I am not a student of the game, studying how teams play in minute detail, formations etc.

This definitely applies to me. I struggle with the nuances of being an 8, 9 or a 10 (whatever happened to a 7? We never here about him).

In my day the centre forward always wore a number 11 shirt!

Any recommendations for an article/book explaining this modern analysis of the game?

This definitely applies to me. I struggle with the nuances of being an 8, 9 or a 10 (whatever happened to a 7? We never here about him).

Any recommendations for an article/book explaining this modern analysis of the game?
Centre forward number 11? 11 was left wing. Was always number 9 back in the day. I bet you don't remember boots that went up past your ankles and balls when wet weighed more than my Mother's Christmas pudding!! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
OK, I'll give you that. Brain fade as I Was too busy trying to be clever on the keyboard.
I was never good enough to play for the school or anything, but do remember saving pocket money for a pair of the new 'continental' style boots to replace the old solid leather 'cloggers' when we had games in PE!

As for your Mother's Christmas pudding, can't say I've ever tried it. :grinning:

Dare I say that he sounds a lot like Jason Tindall when he speaks ?

Your manager gets your team relegated, then resigns because he wants to become a rivals manager, then argues over compensation, then finally leaves. Hardly the recipe for a fond farewell from the fans

Your manager gets your team relegated, then resigns because he wants to become a rivals manager, then argues over compensation, then finally leaves. Hardly the recipe for a fond farewell from the fans
No, you are never going to get the bunting out and street parties. However his style of play had been 'attacked' for a long time prior to him saying he wanted away.

No, you are never going to get the bunting out and street parties. However his style of play had been 'attacked' for a long time prior to him saying he wanted away.
They hated it even during the Championship tbf......slow methodical build up play and no attacking intent.

The Mixer by Michael Cox is an excellent book explaining the various modern tactics

They hated it even during the Championship tbf......slow methodical build up play and no attacking intent.
That is exactly the point I was making. @Red_till_im_ded said it really only started after they had been relegated, not what I was saying. The dislike the supporters had for SP started way before relegation.

My post is simply asking, can a manager change his style and on the evidence thus far has he? Yep, just the one game. :D

I wonder if the last Fulham squad never really got it about how Parker wanted them to play, I never watched them really. Hopefully our squad, when it's finally sorted, will have a lot more skill and willingness about them and make SP look a brilliant choice. Good to see some interesting academy players in last night's game, the future might be getting a bit rosy!

;