Parky criticism

Lots of Fulham fans, it appeared to be ecstatic about SP leaving due to his style of football, defensive, boring etc.

I have to 'fess up I am not a student of the game, studying how teams play in minute detail, formations etc.
Those of you who are, how did last night's match look compared to what we have heard about his style of play?
Did it look similar or is it possible for a manager to change his style dramatically?

I guess you have to look at your team resources and the opposition's an make a judgement. It may be that Parker knew the only way to have a hope of getting points or sneaking a win was to play that way. Not sure you can make a judgement about a manager's style based on one club. Pretty sure they weren't like that in the Championship. Makes sense as well that Parker fell out with club over lack of investment for squad upgrading. My belief is that it was an enforced style of play. Nothing wrong with being defensively solid and wanting clean sheets but if you're not breaking from that and scoring goals then you're going to be too defensive. They didn't have the quality to do that enough against Premier League opposition.

I guess you have to look at your team resources and the opposition's an make a judgement. It may be that Parker knew the only way to have a hope of getting points or sneaking a win was to play that way. Not sure you can make a judgement about a manager's style based on one club. Pretty sure they weren't like that in the Championship. Makes sense as well that Parker fell out with club over lack of investment for squad upgrading. My belief is that it was an enforced style of play. Nothing wrong with being defensively solid and wanting clean sheets but if you're not breaking from that and scoring goals then you're going to be too defensive. They didn't have the quality to do that enough against Premier League opposition.

I am behind Parky, we all know appointing a new manager or player or board member or tea lady is a gamble, best choice ever, worst choice ever, that is footy and business.
The one thing, I feel many people may think, why move to us from a slightly bigger club as Fulham. He must have a dream!
Maybe he has a way of playing that will rip the Championship to bits, wanted to play it at Fulham but didn't have have the players due to his lack of control over recruitment.
It won't take long for us to see how he wants us to play. Hopefully it will be attractive and successful.
To date, all the noises are good, having said that, I have never heard a player say "Wow this pre season is easy, much better than before!" :grinning:
Not long to go, exciting times ahead we hope with a team to be proud of. :D

Why not just give Scott a chance to prove himself without undermining the guy before we are even out of the starting gate ?,

Who gives a to$$ about Fulham,, let's just look forward to the start of the season and support the new manager and his players and let them prove themselves on the pitch ? :throw:

Okay, by all accounts the boys done good last night. Couldn't watch unfortunately as we had a daughter being sick.
After two competitive games it doesn't seem we are playing footy, the way the Fulham fans thought we would. Not boring by any stretch of the imagination. So far so good. :grinning::rocker:

It could only be considered boring if your opinion of attacking football consists of getting forward directly quickly all the time, long ball and all.

That's never really been how we do things here anyway. I think from what we've seen so far Parker's way of building from the back will sit well at Bournemouth in our tradition.

I am behind Parky, we all know appointing a new manager or player or board member or tea lady is a gamble, best choice ever, worst choice ever, that is footy and business.
The one thing, I feel many people may think, why move to us from a slightly bigger club as Fulham. He must have a dream!
Maybe he has a way of playing that will rip the Championship to bits, wanted to play it at Fulham but didn't have have the players due to his lack of control over recruitment.
It won't take long for us to see how he wants us to play. Hopefully it will be attractive and successful.
To date, all the noises are good, having said that, I have never heard a player say "Wow this pre season is easy, much better than before!" :grinning:
Not long to go, exciting times ahead we hope with a team to be proud of. :D

Agree. Felt sorry for Woodgate as I didn't think he did a bad job at all, but am excited to have Parker here. Think if he has time, he could brush up on his interview skills because he comes across as really nervous in front of the camera but that's not so important as long as we get lots of points:)

If Scott wants to play good football and give some of the youngsters a chance I'm all for it. Have been pleased with what I've seen so far.
Just amagin being a West Brom fan.

One comments from a fan on their forum.

Would I be right in saying yesterday was a combination of Klopp meets Pulis?
shocked.gif

Entertaining football but also very unusual, I haven't seen anything like it before.

What I liked about the performance was that we were clearly prepared to mix it up and go more direct if we had to. To try and religiously play out from the back would have played right into the hands of West Brom. We were still trying to build from the back but there was also a clear tactic to try and exploit the spaces in behind also, our second goal being an example of this. Under EH or JT the likelihood is that we would have continually tried to play out from the back regardless of the pressure we were under, it was refreshing to see us mix it up a bit for once.

One thing I didn’t like was how we continuously tried to aim for Anthony from long goal kicks. Perhaps it was safer but am not sure why when playing with two advanced midfielders that we weren’t aiming for Dom and playing for the second balls.

Travers’ continuous long clearances and goal kicks last night were unproductive. Too many were inaccurate and far too hopeful with Solanke triple-marked. Result - ball repeatedly returned to their midfield. SP needs to rethink this one against tall CBs. We need to get Kilkenny on the ball more quickly from the back and prob need Lerma, Pearson or another who can channel it through.

Nothing wrong with how we played last night although it at moments it was a bit nerve wracking to watch! If only we'd had Callum upfront for those tactics though. His body strength and pace would've have caused them no ends of problems. Unfortunately we have Dom who , imo, did the square root of FA last night. Non existent, bottled aerial challenges and as a senior pro offered little in leadership to the nippers.
Hopefully the striker problem will be addressed before the end of august

Unfortunately we have Dom who , imo, did the square root of FA last night. Non existent, bottled aerial challenges and as a senior pro offered little in leadership to the nippers.
Hopefully the striker problem will be addressed before the end of august

His run enables the cut back to Marcondes, for the opener. He even put the defender on his backside to prevent any chance of a block.

He also won numerous defensive headers when back in our box.

Solanke is not a natural goal scorer but he’s a good player at this level. He scored 15 and assisted 11 last season, how many forwards contributed directly to more goals? We need another option though for sure.
We had one ...Surridge...and a decent midfielder, Gosling, behind him...one now in the PL and the other above us in the table...at this time of typing into my keyboard !... :hmmm:I'll get my anorak !

When ' Surridge Day Comes'.

OK ..its me getting boring now..I know..I know and I'm literally boring the sh*t out of myself too ! Tee Hee.

Last edited:
We had one ...Surridge...and a decent midfielder, Gosling, behind him...one now in the PL and the other above us in the table...at this time of typing into my keyboard !... :hmmm:I'll get my anorak !

When ' Surridge Day Comes'.

OK ..its me getting boring now..I know..I know and I'm literally boring the sh*t out of myself too ! Tee Hee.
Surridge can be an asset at this level, but I don’t really see how he ever fits into the way Parker wants to play. We replaced Gosling with Pearson who is easily a better player, regardless of what division Gosling plays in.

;