Perfect Summer

cockbeard

Fans' Favourite
Time to look to next season. What would be your perfect summer wheelings and dealings. Obviously keeping the hlguys that attract interest has to be priority number 1, but beyond that who do you fancy?

For me I've no problem losing most of those outside the PL25 squad, and doubt I'd shed tears over Begovic. Ibe, Junior, and Mousset are in last chance saloon as well. Who to bring in though

Jack (Butane) Butland- Why not? Paper talk gathering pace, let's not get ripped off though
Conor Roberts - I know, I'm a stuck record. Realistic possibility and a top player with loads of potential still
Kieran Tierney - Possibly too late for us, bigger clubs likely to show interest
Hayden/Billing - Both young defensive midfielders with PL experience, both room for improvement. Alongside Jeff could provide a platform for our formidable attacking talent
James Miner - leftfield choice I know, but is moving away from first XI at Liverpool. I wonder if we've missed that old head like Harte/Distin
Obviously some wingers because Eddie
Oh and about 200 chippies, brickies, sparks, and groundworkers to start getting Canford ready

Forum Wishlist
GK
Jack Butland
Nick Pope
FB
Connor Roberts
Kieran Tierney
Hadyn Bogle
Reece James
Matt Grimes
Kristian Pedersen
CB
Ethan Ampadu
MF
Isaac Hayden
Philip Billing
Joe Allen
Kalvin Phillips
Mason Mount
Adrian Mooy
WF
Dan James
Che Adams
Harry Wilson
Callum Robinson
CF

Last edited:
Haha, oops, but he's on fire

edit: against Norwich this afternoon so he'll probably get a workout, might watch that

Time to look to next season. What would be your perfect summer wheelings and dealings. Obviously keeping the hlguys that attract interest has to be priority number 1, but beyond that who do you fancy?

For me I've no problem losing most of those outside the PL25 squad, and doubt I'd shed tears over Begovic. Ibe, Junior, and Mousset are in last chance saloon as well. Who to bring in though

Jack (Butane) Butland- Why not? Paper talk gathering pace, let's not get ripped off though
Conor Roberts - I know, I'm a stuck record. Realistic possibility and a top player with loads of potential still
Kieran Tierney - Possibly too late for us, bigger clubs likely to show interest
Hayden/Billing - Both young defensive midfielders with PL experience, both room for improvement. Alongside Jeff could provide a platform for our formidable attacking talent
James Miner - leftfield choice I know, but is moving away from first XI at Liverpool. I wonder if we've missed that old head like Harte/Distin
Obviously some wingers because Eddie
Oh and about 200 chippies, brickies, sparks, and groundworkers to start getting Canford ready

Milner would probably want to finish his career at Leeds.

Good start to the shopping list. Would add that we need to finally resolve Harry Arter, and also have to think about Mings one way or the other. The thought process with him was let's see how he does, if he stays fit and does well, it will either (1) up his sale value or (2) bring him back to us with more confidence.

It would be good if we could maintain this conversation in one thread, as opposed to it splitting numerous times. We can consolidate all opinions into one running thread.

Would agree about Milner and Leeds but if they miss promotion, plus he's treated it like a job, knows what it is to move around, so I think it'd be good if it could happen. Had almost forgotten about those two, H will move on I believe, and he'll do so with our thanks and best wishes. I think if we lose a central defender Mings might stay, as much as I like him, if he's 4th choice he's merely blocking others progression to the first team. In my opinion and all that. Also happy to update OP with other folks suggestions and see if we got any of them come Autumn

Transfer fees based on nothing at all:

Ins:
- Nick Pope (GK) *£6 million
- Connor Roberts (RB) *£10 million
- Dan James (RM/LM) *£18-20 million
- Ethan Ampadu (CDM) *LOAN
- Brad Smith (LB) *Returning player

Outs:
- Asmir Begovic (GK) *£6 million
- Tyrone Mings (CB) *£15 million
- Marc Pugh (LM) *£1 million
- Harry Arter (CM) *£6 million
- Emerson Hyndman (CM) *£200k??
- Connor Mahoney (RM) *LOAN

Just off the top of my head.

Here’s the the thing though, I think players like Mousset could do with a loan. I also think 4-4-2 will be the norm next season. Which means another season of nothing for Moose and presumably another season without reinforcements in midfield. Hopefully this isn’t the case.

Regarding Brad Smith, I actually think he’s a perfectly capable backup to have, and will fill a gap in the squad while Daniels is out. EH might sell him and bring someone else in but I don’t think he’s too bad personally.

And also, let’s not be mugged off in the sales department. Pugh, for example, is a valuable championship player and we should be getting good money for him.

And also, let’s not be mugged off in the sales department. Pugh, for example, is a valuable championship player and we should be getting good money for him.

As much as I'd hate to see him go I also love watching him play. I'm sure he'll be back with the youth setup when he does stop

Transfer fees based on nothing at all:

Ins:
- Nick Pope (GK) *£6 million
- Connor Roberts (RB) *£10 million
- Dan James (RM/LM) *£18-20 million
- Ethan Ampadu (CDM) *LOAN
- Brad Smith (LB) *Returning player

Outs:
- Asmir Begovic (GK) *£6 million
- Tyrone Mings (CB) *£15 million
- Marc Pugh (LM) *£1 million
- Harry Arter (CM) *£6 million
- Emerson Hyndman (CM) *£200k??
- Connor Mahoney (RM) *LOAN

Just off the top of my head.

Here’s the the thing though, I think players like Mousset could do with a loan. I also think 4-4-2 will be the norm next season. Which means another season of nothing for Moose and presumably another season without reinforcements in midfield. Hopefully this isn’t the case.

ampadu is a good shout - midfield or defence

Definitely a keeper but just hope we dont get mugged off regards the fee. Would be nice if we could do some good business ourselves and sell Begovic for decent money!

At least 1 full back is needed. Daniels and Franno may not be the same and even if they are, their levels were starting to slip anyway. We know Rico looks like he’s not up to the level unfortunately and I don’t think we will go in for Clyne.

Wouldn’t mind Billings the young lad from Huddersfield. Seems a good CM option and I believe is still quite young.

Another winger is vital, maybe more than 1 since it looks like Fraser is going to move on

He deserves a free transfer doesn't he?....i'd have no problem with him getting a nice signing on fee tbh.

This. Given how the Pitman move was handled I'd be very surprised to see any other outcome.

As said, he'll be back though.

I can see it now. Day 1 of Marc Pugh training the AFCB U7s. "Ok kids, today we're going to learn how to do a Cryuff turn"

This. Given how the Pitman move was handled I'd be very surprised to see any other outcome.

As said, he'll be back though.

I can see it now. Day 1 of Marc Pugh training the AFCB U7s. "Ok kids, today we're going to learn how to do a Cryuff turn"
The Pugh chop surely!

It's obvious a keeper is incoming and with the revelation that the parents of Butland's partner live on the Isle of Wight I think this is looking more and more like the move that will happen.

Dan James seems like the exact profile of a player we'd recruit. With both Ibe and Fraser only having 12 months left on their deal even if we can talk Ryan into a new contract it could be time for Ibe to move on.

CM is in need of a top quality forward thinking recruit to replace the obviously moving on Arter. This is where most of whatever budget we have should be spent.

A right back is also needed but with A Smith in his prime I see no problem in recruiting a quality youngster to develop.

Having said all that and given out January outlay, I've no idea where the money would come from. Maybe if Ake is sold and Mings seen as the replacement that would give us the warchest needed. Not that I'm advocating it but it could be forced on us.

;