Phil Bill appreciation thread

I find the lack of appreciation (especially on social media) for what Billing brings to us staggering. And bordering on disrespectful to be honest. He's been one of our most important players for the last 3 seasons. Contributes assists, goals and crucial interceptions. He's a victim of his running style which looks languid, but the stats posted by others have proved he runs as much as anyone.

I really don't get it. Yes he's not as fast as Kluivert, Semenyo or Tav but he brings so much to us. Look at his goals against Burnley this season and Forest last season. Probably him and Tav are the only players in our squad with that in the locker.

Another one who doesn't really have his own song either (I think?) but definitely should!
Totally agree - the clowns around me yesterday immediately started when he came on - 'lazy, not interested' - how good it was to shut them up with his goal. We do have some weird idiots in our fan base who delight in having a go at our own players with zero justification - even on a day when we are beating ManUre away !

Phil can cover more ground in one pace that the average do in three!

All about opinions....but when he couldn't start against Newcastle ,we played well, and he has not started since ....those 4 games we have been our best this season.....imo he seems to slow the game down.....has done well when coming on as sub. and am happy with that......apart from injuries, AI seems to know his settled starting 11

It's ridiculous to claim Phil is not a massive player for us. Ok he might not be starting the last few games, but how quickly things change, and he'll be back in.

I find the lack of appreciation (especially on social media) for what Billing brings to us staggering. And bordering on disrespectful to be honest. He's been one of our most important players for the last 3 seasons. Contributes assists, goals and crucial interceptions. He's a victim of his running style which looks languid, but the stats posted by others have proved he runs as much as anyone.

I really don't get it. Yes he's not as fast as Kluivert, Semenyo or Tav but he brings so much to us. Look at his goals against Burnley this season and Forest last season. Probably him and Tav are the only players in our squad with that in the locker.

Another one who doesn't really have his own song either (I think?) but definitely should!
Some good points there Liam.

He does have a song though.

It goes something like... do do do dee dee dum dee dee doo, and ends with...he looks good, he looks fine and he's Bournemouths 29.

Something like that, anyway.

All about opinions....but when he couldn't start against Newcastle ,we played well, and he has not started since ....those 4 games we have been our best this season.....imo he seems to slow the game down.....has done well when coming on as sub. and am happy with that......apart from injuries, AI seems to know his settled starting 11
I'm with Ted on PB slowing things down, as I pointed out in a thread after the Newcastle game. Agree that he can be a very good impact sub but not, in an ideal world, a starter under AI.
Loved the way he charged into the box on Saturday, demanding Tavernier plonk the ball on his head, in the same way Moore demanded that the ball be plonked on his head at Palace where PB's execution was perfect. This is a type of goal that is not really in Solanke's repertoire.

I never understood why Phil gets so much stick tbh

Can tell when he posts messages that he cares about what he does so why wouldn’t he translate that passion into his on-pitch efforts?

Sometimes his role is difficult to execute in a struggling team. Top scorer last season and should have had more votes than lerma in the Player of the season award

Some good points there Liam.

He does have a song though.

It goes something like... do do do dee dee dum dee dee doo, and ends with...he looks good, he looks fine and he's Bournemouths 29.

Something like that, anyway.
Don’t hear it often

Thought this thread would be most appropriate to post these comments from the Luton Forum.

Thinking about Saturday again, thank god Philip Billing did what he did. I was speaking to a Medic friend earlier, and he said that seconds make a huge difference.

Those extra few seconds he saved by waving the medical team on could well have saved Tom's life. Of course, the whole Bournemouth setup played a huge part, but Billing's awareness in particular will never be forgotten.

Was pleased he wasn't in the starting lineup, a very good and dangerous player.
He has played a massive part in the speedy onset of the emergency treatment.
Right Place at the Right Time or what?

Indeed - I think he'll be getting quite the reception when we host them.

Thought this thread would be most appropriate to post these comments from the Luton Forum.

Thinking about Saturday again, thank god Philip Billing did what he did. I was speaking to a Medic friend earlier, and he said that seconds make a huge difference.

Those extra few seconds he saved by waving the medical team on could well have saved Tom's life. Of course, the whole Bournemouth setup played a huge part, but Billing's awareness in particular will never be forgotten.

Was pleased he wasn't in the starting lineup, a very good and dangerous player.
He has played a massive part in the speedy onset of the emergency treatment.
Right Place at the Right Time or what?

Indeed - I think he'll be getting quite the reception when we host them.
He turned the game in our favour when he came on as well. I was too busy looking at the North Stand and singing Dom Solanke used to be scouse to notice what happened right in front of me, the guy a few seats next to me saw Tom fall, he said he was out before he hit the ground and his arms just flopped. Billing and everyone else in the ground were a credit to their club yesterday.

From the Guardian today:

“Sometimes, football has to come second. When Tom Lockyer collapsed in the 65th minute of Luton’s game at Bournemouth, the match rightly became a distant afterthought. The Hatters’ official social media post actually apologised to supporters of both teams when announcing the abandonment of the game, but there was no need, such was the understanding shown by every part of the Vitality Stadium. It must have been an incredibly distressing situation for all, and particularly strange for those connected with Bournemouth. Not that you would have known. Praise is deservedly being dished out to Philip Billing, who was the first to dash over to the stricken Lockyer, and to his teammate Dominic Solanke, who was seen calling urgently for medical support. The speed with which they grasped the severity of the situation was commendable and they played a part in getting Lockyer the help he needed. When the game was abandoned, it was with the full support of Bournemouth’s players, staff and supporters. They showed the best of the beautiful game.“

;