Pisspot quality shirts for a tinpot club

Had Ming's on the back of my shirt and it came off after 6 minutes. My Rantie one went missing completely

Surely the shirts they sell in the shop are a lower quality than the players wear - as I said they probably buy them from a Bangladeshi sweat shop for £1 a piece - I haven't seen anything in the shop that I would consider decent quality

Slightly off topic, I recently ordered one of the polo shirts from the club shop. Has anyone else, and would you say they are poor quality?

dutchcherry - 19/8/2016 14:48

Slightly off topic, I recently ordered one of the polo shirts from the club shop. Has anyone else, and would you say they are poor quality?

I trust buying the polo tops and other wear far more than I trust replica shirts. There's not a lot to go wrong with them really, although I find there is never a consistent size. A medium in one design is a very different fit to a medium in another design.

dannyhollandsfan - 18/8/2016 21:11

Basically, don't wash your shirt.

From experience it doesn't matter if you wash replica shirts or not.

I've got a replica shirt I bought from Ted Macdougall Sports back in the early '70's.

It's been in my drawer for 40 years, never worn or washed.

What do I find when I decide to give it an promotion outing at Charlton?

The bloody thing has shrunk so much I can hardly get it on.

Bought one of the Toff's ones from the John Bond era and had it a few years now, still in perfect condition after numerous washes.

Maybe other clubs football fans have similar problems with their replica shirts.

Why do they charge what I think are ripoff prices to football fans who are supporting their clubs after all, when they cost a lot less to produce?

I suppose the answer is if the fans keep paying then they will continue to charge the fans those prices.

Ken Baileys Ghost - 19/8/2016 16:46

dannyhollandsfan - 18/8/2016 21:11

Basically, don't wash your shirt.
I

From experience it doesn't matter if you wash replica shirts or not.

I've got a replica shirt I bought from Ted Macdougall Sports back in the early '70's.

It's been in my drawer for 40 years, never worn or washed.

What do I find when I decide to give it an promotion outing at Charlton?

The bloody thing has shrunk so much I can hardly get it on.

The green and purple triangles one still going strong ken

Even more of a reason to wait until the end of the season when they knock them down to £15.
And seriously don't advise people not to wash them,there are enough replica shirt wearers on the supporters Coaches with terrible body odour as it is.....

northstandmark - 19/8/2016 08:11

45 quid for a product that can't survive one 30 degree wash?
Hopefully it's a bad batch or some such, and not all of them are the same?

I've washed mine multiple times and haven't had any problems like others have described. Obviously none of them should be that poor, but it seems like it might just be a bad bunch. Friends and family also have had no problems with the shirt :81:

Found this article from Daily Mirror earlier this year. So while fans are prepared to pay, I expect the price will stay or even increase.

A Premier League club shirt sells at an average £49.45 but costs less than £5 to produce - with clubs only making £3 per top

Football fans pay a 1,000 per cent mark up on replica shirts , a new study says.

A Premier League club shirt sells at an average £49.45 but costs less than £5 to produce.

The mark-up makes a huge profit for sportswear firms and retailers.

But workers in the Far East who make the kits earn less than 80p an hour.

Millions of fans snap up the latest kit before each season. Many believe they are supporting their clubs.

But research by sports merchandising expert Peter Rohlmann shows that once manufacturers, shops and the Government have taken their share, the club is left with £3.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/replica-football-shirts-rip-fans-7455562

This article from this month on shirt sponsorship.

THERE have been a whole host of Premier League clubs releasing new kits this season – with last week’s speciality the third strip.

But behind the colour, the general design and the revenue clubs hope to make from the new release, there is always one pay-day regardless… The shirt sponsor.

As obvious as the branding is, sometimes it is easy to forget clubs are being paid to be emblazoned with their company name.

However, some get a little more than others… Well, a LOT more than others in reality.

In 18th spot are Watford at £1.5m, with Burnley and Bournemouth slightly further up the table at £2m apiece.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/1534448/how-does-your-premier-league-team-fare-in-the-top-shirt-sponsors-chart-with-one-team-earning-close-to-50m-for-one-year/

"But research by sports merchandising expert Peter Rohlmann shows that once manufacturers, shops and the Government have taken their share, the club is left with £3."

The club only makes 3 quid per shirt (6%).

My heart bleeds for them.

But that's just the licencing fee.

The club selling shirts itself counts as a retailer, thus 37%.

So they're making 37%.

Edited to add:

You could always buy this one.

Nice idea.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bournemouth-Home-Football-Shirt-Size-3xl-39811-/131746869709?hash=item1eacb9b1cd:g:guAAAOSwu1VW3ylk

Surely the club gets more than £3 per shirt because the sportswear firm pays them a massive upfront fee for the rights to produce them.

They get 3 quid for every shirt sold from the sportwear firm and then they get a profit from selling the shirt in the club shop as well.

Do keep up.

SteveJonesLegend - 19/8/2016 09:41

JD sports have been pretty crap throughout IMO... Bad shirt designs, bad quality, awful leisure wear, over branded, and very lower lg.

Not that I buy replica shirts anymore,, I can't wait to get a decent manufacturer on board to supply the shop with some quality at last... Hopefully.

Bad shirt designs? I have yet to see a bad JD shirt design for us?? Not sure what you are on about there?
I also have some of the leisure wear here and am happy with everything I've got...good quality and good looking.

Obviously every football kit these days is overpriced....but compared to most clubs, we are one of the cheapest to buy. It is a shame if some shirts have come through less than the expected quality, those affected need to take them back. But I am sure most will be fine.

I would certainly prefer a bespoke design from JD than an off the peg design from Nike or adidas.

;