Pitch invasions - the end of an era

While most people running onto the pitch are just having fun, 1000s of people all running on at the same time provides perfect cover for thugs to commit criminal assault on players and staff knowing they won’t get caught (even someone getting jailed last week for lampong the Sheffield guy didn’t deter someone ffrom doing the same at Man City, because they don’t expect to get caught
So far I think anyone committing an offence has been caught. There's no shortage of cctv cameras or cameras in general at grounds.

A minority of fans on the pitch may behave in a negative way. We have heard of extreme events like attacking players. The law deals with that. As for those goading players or opposing fans, the answer is simple. Identify and ban them. As Rob says they’ll be easy to identify given the cameras present.

While most people running onto the pitch are just having fun, 1000s of people all running on at the same time provides perfect cover for thugs to commit criminal assault on players and staff knowing they won’t get caught (even someone getting jailed last week for lampong the Sheffield guy didn’t deter someone ffrom doing the same at Man City, because they don’t expect to get caught

Seriously. Its one of the worst times to assault someone if you don't want to get caught. Cameras everywhere, high profile in scheme of things.

The Sun is a disgusting rag.
I knew Sarah, worked with her in the past, football fan first and Police Superintendent second.

That pic of the fans with the players at our game shows genuine emotion and smiles and not what we saw at some other games.

The same against Millwall, the fans did as they were asked and remained off the pitch and in the stands and it all ended the season on a high.

Our game against Nottingham Forest is on the front of tomorrow’s Sun.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/18664515/off-duty-cop-pitch-invasion-bournemouth/

One source said: “When police were looking through the footage they had the shock of their lives when they saw the superintendent on the pitch celebrating."

The shock of their lives? Really? More shocking than dealing with murder, rape or literally any other crime? Which police were these? The fun police?

Words can't explain how much I detest that rag.

Pathetic article.

Unfortunately the scenes at other pitch invasions that have followed ours has meant that we are likely to see changes for the future.

Yes it’s always been “illegal”. But we all know that at times there’s an unwritten nod to say it’s ok. Stewards at Burton helping some fans on to the pitch etc at Dean Court it was almost a tradition regardless of the season outcome. This obviously won’t be the case anymore.

What marks these recent incidents out compared to decades of celebratory pitch invasions that have gone before, is the level of aggression and ultimately violence, from a minority. It should be about euphoria not aggression in that moment.

It might be covid keeping people pent up before this season, it might be drink and drugs, it might be something else or a combination. But something is slightly different.

Didn't really see much of that in our pitch invasion though. There were lads who went over towards the half empty away end briefly for a bit of a 'who are ya' but that wasn't much to write home about. We aren't exactly the most vociferous home fanbase after all.

Not sure its fair to call our pitchie the starting point.

Before all these recent week's incidents it was being reported that there's been a rise of general football related violence around games, not really seen since the 80s. Stuff like this was being written in the spring. Again things like lockdown and drugs were being suggested as causes.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/18/the-shocking-rise-of-disorder-at-matches

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...g-as-12-the-new-face-of-hooliganism-rn53v7022

I'd argue the pitch invasion stuff where its gone wrong should be seen as an extention of this trend, not a specific issue of pitchies to tackle in isolation and potentially ban.

What marks these recent incidents out compared to decades of celebratory pitch invasions that have gone before, is the level of aggression and ultimately violence, from a minority. It should be about euphoria not aggression in that moment.

It might be covid keeping people pent up before this season, it might be drink and drugs, it might be something else or a combination. But something is slightly different.

Didn't really see much of that in our pitch invasion though. There were lads who went over towards the half empty away end briefly for a bit of a 'who are ya' but that wasn't much to write home about. We aren't exactly the most vociferous home fanbase after all.

Not sure its fair to call our pitchie the starting point.

Before all these recent week's incidents it was being reported that there's been a rise of general football related violence around games, not really seen since the 80s. Stuff like this was being written in the spring. Again things like lockdown and drugs were being suggested as causes.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/18/the-shocking-rise-of-disorder-at-matches

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...g-as-12-the-new-face-of-hooliganism-rn53v7022

I'd argue the pitch invasion stuff where its gone wrong should be seen as an extention of this trend, not a specific issue of pitchies to tackle in isolation and potentially ban.

Interesting Guardian article. One thing it does do is full victim of putting all football grounds into one single box.

None of the above has been my experience at Dean Court this season. I haven’t seen any difference to previous seasons at home games other than the current fad of smoke flares.

Why not just jump up and down and punch the air, scream and shout in the streets outside and on the way home.
The pitch is the players domain....the stands are the fans'....the pitch has to be maintained by skilled groundsmen.
Its a totally f√cking brainless and dangerous activity running around like lunatics, a chance someone gets crushed, especially a small child...
Plus...the players are exhausted and in need of ' coming down' from the 95 minutes of exertions( well most of them !)

On balance, I agree with you. There were also disabled people knocked over apparently during the Dean Court pitch invasion recently, so even though that would obviously have been accidentsl, it wasn't necessarily as harmless as some are saying.

Why not just jump up and down and punch the air, scream and shout in the streets outside and on the way home.
The pitch is the players domain....the stands are the fans'....the pitch has to be maintained by skilled groundsmen.
Its a totally f√cking brainless and dangerous activity running around like lunatics, a chance someone gets crushed, especially a small child...
Plus...the players are exhausted and in need of ' coming down' from the 95 minutes of exertions( well most of them !)

See that's really interesting because I think of the pitch as part of the shared space between players and the fans. Obviously during the season you protect but at the end of the season the pitch gets ripped up anyway so there's no need to protect it. An end of season pitchie even if there's nothing to celebrate has a very strong last day of school vibe. I've never known it to be violent and you see loads of vulnerable people involved.

I feel like the dressing room/tunnel is where it becomes off limits or harassing players in public.

Perhaps Forest could asked to be given the points.

more worrying to me is the return of journalism to portraying all football fans as hooligans. A lazy trope which they hope will sell papers or get clicks. So I didn’t go on the Scum article as they have history.

Another year before the next 'pitchies' as they are now referred to make them sound like a 'brand'...
So that leaves plenty of time for 'booing' .

Can I indulge in a 'laugh out loud'...?

The Sun is a disgusting rag.
I knew Sarah, worked with her in the past, football fan first and Police Superintendent second.

What a sh1tty thing for the Sun to do. Plaster someone who was causing no problems all over their scummy rag.

On balance, I agree with you. There were also disabled people knocked over apparently during the Dean Court pitch invasion recently, so even though that would obviously have been accidentsl, it wasn't necessarily as harmless as some are saying.

Yeah but apparently it waa disabled people who were goading the away fans...

;