Possible new forum "team selector" game for 20/21

Cherry_Bozzo

Fans' Favourite
If you are not interested in forum games/competitions - read no further!

Hi all

I am personally struggling to raise too much enthusiasm at the moment for a season where actually attending games is going to be seriously limited - at the very least – for all of us. I am therefore trying to think of ways to stay more “invested” in the matches.

Since there is always a relatively lively debate about team selection before, and after, games I was wondering if there would be any interest in a forum competition based on that.

I realise we already have several games on the forum and so this thread is basically to see if there is any interest in another one.

As I currently see it, the game would along the following lines for each match: you would select your 18 man squad consisting of a starting 11 and then your 7 subs (no need to worry about formations Neil!)

My suggestion at this stage is that points would then be scored as follows: 1 point for each correct starter, 1 point for each correct squad member (including starters) and 1 extra point for each player who gets on the pitch (starters and subs). So, 11 points available for starters, 18 points for squad members and 14 points for appearances – total 43 maximum. To make it a round maximum of 50 available for each match there would be a bonus of 5 points for a correct starting 11 and 2 points for a correct squad of 18.

I would plan to make this open to as many people to take part as possible so entries would be taken on a variety of basis. Either - match by match, or a selection of matches at a time (i.e. use these selections for all September games), or even on a season long basis (i.e. use these selections until further notice). Therefore, players may participate in the whole competition without necessarily entering a new selection each round – of course this may limit any chance of winning overall given transfers, injuries and suspensions but would hopefully give everyone who enters at least some extra interest this season.

I will end this post here, but please post below if you have any interest in such a competition and, if enough (say 25+) show an interest by the end of the month, I will draw up some proper guidance on the rules and scoring, ready to launch it on 5th September ready for the first match on the 12th.

I'd be interested.
But aren't you awarding points twice for the starting 11 (1 pt each for being in the starting 11, and then another point for appearing)? If so, just give 2 points each for players in the starting 11.

I'd be interested.
But aren't you awarding points twice for the starting 11 (1 pt each for being in the starting 11, and then another point for appearing)? If so, just give 2 points each for players in the starting 11.

Actually awarding thrice for the starting 11. The idea is 3 points for each starter whom you select, 2 for anyone you select in your subs who makes an appearance, and 1 for each of the subs who stays on the bench. Hence rewarding the correct selection of starters.

Also just trying to make a few more options to give a wider variety of scores - but in a way that can be relatively easily managed.

However, nothing is finalised so always open to suggestions.

Looks like this may be a non starter even if called Bo’ Selecta!

I will though push it for a few more days - just in case!

Hard work for you Bozzo.

I'm in.

Come on everyone else where's your enthusiasm - the season starts soon...........

I'll be in, if the message board hasn't been sold off to a Premiers'hip club before the season starts : )
We don't have to name formations and justify who's in who's out do we? : )

We don't have to name formations and justify who's in who's out do we? : )

We should be OK on that front - unless Mr Dawson decides to enter - and then who knows where it will go from there :)

Anyway - one entry could last the whole season - so post once and then forget it if you like.

We should be OK on that front - unless Mr Dawson decides to enter - and then who knows where it will go from there :)

Anyway - one entry could last the whole season - so post once and then forget it if you like.

Just start a bit of Who and 'Hoople chat, that seems to distract people on here : )

;