Post-match thoughts v Brentford

Nothing against our CMs on Sasturday, but the introduction of both Adams and Scott will hopefully help us in being less open.

Brentford were able to pass through us way too easily at times on Saturday, and again, everyone is still learning, but I think we need some help in this area and in protecting our CBs a bit more...
Isn't that because our players were trying to win the ball back high up the pitch (high press) leaving gaps behind. or would you prefer the old system of everyone getting back in our half once we lose the ball. I prefer the attack attack attack mode, they only scored because of the two individual mistakes.

Whichever it was, we were regularly exposed, and the CBs got pulled all over the place. Hopefully there'll be learning to prevent that.

Compared to the Spurs game, we weren't all-out pressing with the front four, and the gaps behind were smaller.

It’s a broad church Rob and since I was 13 and grasped the basic understanding of the game (cue 1000 jokes) I’ve enjoyed analysing games and players the evening of and the day after with loads of different family and friends.

I also know people that have zero interest in that and love just going, the atmosphere and the sport for what it is, a spectacle.

I don’t see the need to tell people what football should mean to them?
Was I telling anyone?

Was I telling anyone how a Football Scout/Coach/CEO should act?

Seeing Neto getting stick over a sudden loss of ability.
Considering you'd expect the teams we've faced so far to overperform against their xG this is not a poor showing at all.
1693828681130.png

Was I telling anyone?

Was I telling anyone how a Football Scout/Coach/CEO should act?
There’s a difference between having a pop at fellow fans by your question and questioning the hierarchy at a club for their decision making. Just as you and others are right to question the people that have withdrawn the second accessible minibus. Fans are fans and we should stick together. Some people like to analyse some like to experience but we are all one.

There’s a difference between having a pop at fellow fans by your question and questioning the hierarchy at a club for their decision making. Just as you and others are right to question the people that have withdrawn the second accessible minibus. Fans are fans and we should stick together. Some people like to analyse some like to experience but we are all one.
Oh yes, I forgot, its the same with name-calling. ;-)

Seeing Neto getting stick over a sudden loss of ability.
Considering you'd expect the teams we've faced so far to overperform against their xG this is not a poor showing at all.
View attachment 11775
Looking at the stats is one thing, but can we agree that perhaps he should have done better with their first goal? Also, against Brentford specifically, they missed some sitters, which no doubt boosted his stats. Of course ability is one thing but if he has luck on his side I’ll take that!!

only a complete idiot would write off a manager after 4 games
Reality is you have a choice of a more pragmatic style like GON that covers the deficiencies of our defenders or a more attacking style of AI that says we will concede chances but create them too.

A huge majority seemed to want the second option so bit soon for some to regret that!

Personally, in away games, I really liked what GON was trying to do with 3 centre halves inc Kelly left and two wingbacks like tav and vina. AI has stated he wants the same style of play home and away. It will be exciting but expect us to ship goals.

Looking at the stats is one thing, but can we agree that perhaps he should have done better with their first goal? Also, against Brentford specifically, they missed some sitters, which no doubt boosted his stats. Of course ability is one thing but if he has luck on his side I’ll take that!!
Don’t disagree but noted on the highlights that the first shot that hit the post was a decent save by Neto. Also the third one was offside so shouldn’t count in the stats.

Reality is you have a choice of a more pragmatic style like GON that covers the deficiencies of our defenders or a more attacking style of AI that says we will concede chances but create them too.

A huge majority seemed to want the second option so bit soon for some to regret that!

Personally, in away games, I really liked what GON was trying to do with 3 centre halves inc Kelly left and two wingbacks like tav and vina. AI has stated he wants the same style of play home and away. It will be exciting but expect us to ship goals.
GON pragmatic? Hmm, debateable that anyone who plays Mepham at RB to counter Zaha is a pragmatist. A fantasist perhaps.:) And as we're currently unlikely to win the league I think most of us would prefer exciting games.

Isn't that because our players were trying to win the ball back high up the pitch (high press) leaving gaps behind. or would you prefer the old system of everyone getting back in our half once we lose the ball. I prefer the attack attack attack mode, they only scored because of the two individual mistakes.
... I get what you're saying and Iraola stated very early on that we will concede goals because of his style of play... So I'm in no way saying we should fall back to the Parker/GON ways of safety first... I'm not sure how you've interpreted that from what I've said...

I'm just hopeful that our CBs will get a bit more protection from Adams when he's fit, and that in time we learn how to defend in Iraola's system better... (see my point earlier around Kerkez diving in on 93 mins)... :thumbup:

Kelly has always been the player to build the defence around IMHO, so I agree. But the defensive shape looks very disorganised, so I think loads of work is needed there, whoever the personnel are.

Is it true that Iraola's coaching team are still awaiting work permits (I read somewhere)??? Another impression I get is that the pre-match and halftime work on the field is Slack and demotivated.
Agree that Kelly has the pace but when he plays the ball out he nearly always takes a touch rather than a first touch early ball.

;