Post-match thoughts v Brentford

Looking at the stats is one thing, but can we agree that perhaps he should have done better with their first goal? Also, against Brentford specifically, they missed some sitters, which no doubt boosted his stats. Of course ability is one thing but if he has luck on his side I’ll take that!!
The stats are only using shots on target and his performance against them. There is a chance that strikers are fluffing their lines in front of him and giving him easier saves but considering the sides we've played so far I'd expect the opposite to be true.

3 of the 4 sides we played are top 7 overperforming against xG and a quarter of their games were against us where Neto was soaking up more than he's expected to. Brentford quite far down the table :p
1693837644795.png

To properly answer your question, of course you can criticise individual actions but I was specifically replying to a few posts saying about his form nose diving from last season when (statistically at least) it doesn't seem to be true.

He came for a cross and made a mess of it, then kicked their player he didn't see, and only had one in the wall

This may be really insignificant, but he looked a bit flat-footed as they were preparing to take the free kick. Normally you expect keepers to be literally on their toes at that stage ang he just seemed to stand there. Kinda made up for it with the excellent save onto the post though

Belated thoughts . A good point in another difficult game, much more watchable and entertaining like Liverpool, hoping we don’t become a team better away than home (although that suits me). Could’ve won could’ve lost, creating chances is great to see although I feel Solanke is often very isolated, the wide players could be higher up the pitch. A change to 433 would work well I think, 3 midfielders would stop teams seemingly stroll through the middle of the pitch and help out the defence. Glad to see Senesi back in, great to see Tavernier back, him upfront with Solanke and Brooks or Dango would be my choice although would be harsh on Christie who has done very well this season, could he be transformed into a midfield terrier? I think it would suit him. All in all a good point well earned. Our fans out sang their lot from the start which was great after a subdued effort at Anfield

If one has to be critical of Neto with the first goal it is that I think there should have been two of our player's in the wall.

The highlights show that Neto was fouled by the Brentford player.

People are starting to get wise to the 'generated foul' - the attacker interfering with the oppo goalie/defender by just getting his leg in the way of a clearing kick.

People are starting to get wise to the 'generated foul' - the attacker interfering with the oppo goalie/defender by just getting his leg in the way of a clearing kick.
I’d be interested to know the differing views of the free kick given against Neto on Saturday, two players going for the same ball with no intention to foul, just trying to play the ball, that would have been, play on, not long ago. Genuinely interested in answers to that

Yes only one in the wall was the biggest mistake.

Agree with this and the comment above that Neto was looking flat footed on the free kick.

One further point for debate - is it the job of the one in the wall to prevent the attempted shot, or try to anticipate the cross and clear (the latter being what happened)…..if he stayed where he was, I reckon he would have easily got some kind of block/deflection on the shot.

I’d be interested to know the differing views of the free kick given against Neto on Saturday, two players going for the same ball with no intention to foul, just trying to play the ball, that would have been, play on, not long ago. Genuinely interested in answers to that

I'm with it being a free kick. I don't think the laws specify the need for intention to be present. Two players going for the same ball that results in a collision but one get his foot on it and the other doesn't means the free kick is always likely to go to the player who was quickest to the ball. If the Brentford player hadn't got the ball but just blocked Neto's kick it should have been our free kick. That's my take anyway.

I think the fact that it was clearly non-intentional was why Neto escaped a booking.

I'm with it being a free kick. I don't think the laws specify the need for intention to be present. Two players going for the same ball that results in a collision but one get his foot on it and the other doesn't means the free kick is always likely to go to the player who was quickest to the ball. If the Brentford player hadn't got the ball but just blocked Neto's kick it should have been our free kick. That's my take anyway.

I think the fact that it was clearly non-intentional was why Neto escaped a booking.
The ones I mentioned (the attacker just getting his foot in the way) have always annoyed me, if the forward 'knows what he's doing' etc etc..

I know loads will still be given, but at least refs are thinking about these situations a bit more.

The ones I mentioned (the attacker just getting his foot in the way) have always annoyed me, if the forward 'knows what he's doing' etc etc..

I know loads will still be given, but at least refs are thinking about these situations a bit more.

I've only see the one on Saturday once and I was over 100 yards away so I can't comment too specifically on it but in those instances where a player is going to strike a ball and an opposition player sneaks in on their blind side and ends up getting booted then that is not a foul in my mind - there is no intention to foul and it is not reckless to kick a ball in a football game. If anything the dangerous play is by the guy who got booted because he knew that would be the result of his action.

Last edited:
I've only see the one on Saturday once and I was over 100 yards away so I can't comment too specifically on it but in those instances where a player is going to strike a ball and an opposition player sneaks in on their blind side and ends up getting bootedthem that is not a foul in my mind - there is no intention to foul and it is not reckless to kick a ball in a football game. If anything the dangerous play is by the guy who got booted because he knew that would be the result of his action.
I agree - the Neto one was quite similar, but I could see it being given. Some of them that get given are a joke.

Only over the last couple of seasons has the discussion on these raised it's head, finally.

I've only see the one on Saturday once and I was over 100 yards away so I can't comment too specifically on it but in those instances where a player is going to strike a ball and an opposition player sneaks in on their blind side and ends up getting booted then that is not a foul in my mind - there is no intention to foul and it is not reckless to kick a ball in a football game. If anything the dangerous play is by the guy who got booted because he knew that would be the result of his action.

I've been badly injured a couple of times in the past when shaping up to shoot and someone sticks their leg/ foot in the way last minute. One where I ended up kicking their studs and breaking a toe.

I said in my post on Saturday that I didn't think it was a foul at all. Two players trying to play the ball, nothing nefarious to my eye. I was watching on television, of course, and had the benefit of several replays.

Whether or not Neto was playing the ball is irrelevant. He was slower than the Brentford player and kicked him. It was a foul.

Whether or not Neto was playing the ball is irrelevant. He was slower than the Brentford player and kicked him. It was a foul.

Only if it was careless, reckless or with excessive force. Like I say if someone comes in from a player's blind side and gets in the way when they are playing the ball it shouldn't be given as a foul. It's not careless or reckless and the force is appropriate for kicking the ball.

It was careless. He knew the attacker was there and didn't allow for the fact he was also challenging when he went for the big heave kick rather than just tapping it out.

It was careless. He knew the attacker was there and didn't allow for the fact he was also challenging when he went for the big heave kick rather than just tapping it out.

Well like I say I was over 100 yards away and have only seen it once so if the player was in his field of vision then it is reckless if he kicks him. There was a penalty given last season where a defender was clearing the ball and the attacker just nipped in ahead of him and got kicked. Defender didn't even know he was there and they still have the pen. Foul the other way of anything.

;