Post-match thoughts v Chelsea

Happy with the performance. Aside from a scramble or two and Sterling's free kick, largely kept them at bay while fashioning chances at the other end. Draw was probably a fair result, though if any team was looking likely to get a winner near the end it was us. Big performances by Neto (good to put the Brentford game behind him), Kelly (head seems to be on straight after the transfer interest), both fullbacks Aarons and Kerkez, and Cook who was everywhere in the center of the park. Zabarnyi and Billing also had relatively good games, if a bit quieter, while Christie and Solanke kept fighting to make things happen up the pitch. Wings were a bit weak today, though with both Tavs and Dango being relatively newly back after long injuries maybe some leeway can be given.

Let’s think cup half full for this one. Yes, not the prettiest game. Yes, we lacked a cutting edge, but we picked up another valuable point against a team which has spent over a billion pounds! Kluivert looked lovely when he came on, Kelly impressed and Cook controlled the midfield pretty well. We got behind them quite a few times but IA will be frustrated at the decision making when we got into their area. I felt there was too much space in a Tyler Adams less midfield at times and Chelsea should have perhaps taken one of their chances. It’s been an incredibly tough start, we’ve picked up another point, onwards to Brighton now.

If you don't rate Kelly after that you'll never rate him. Thought he was excellent and his forward passing was great, he set up load of decent opportunities with threaded passes through to the front players.

Aarons is just a great signing. Just a brilliant full back that has slotted straight in.

Dango was very rusty. Agree with the I've comparisons but I think he'll yield many more goals and assists. To me it doesn't matter so much if he loses the ball trying things on the final third but ultimately he needs to have a decent success rate otherwise his place in the side can't be justified.

We gained a point.

Of concern, amongst many, is the players keep on checking with the manager as what to do and he gets frustrated when it doesn't work.

Finally worked out the word I was searching for it is a surplus of wingers.

Could list half the team for Mom. Only let downs for me were Dango and Sinisterra but they were both back playing after time off and in the latters case his first game. Klievert had is best game in a Bournemouth shirt. Our full backs were excellent and if anyone thinks Cook is not premier league quality they simply dont watch our matches.

We gained a point.

Of concern, amongst many, is the players keep on checking with the manager as what to do and he gets frustrated when it doesn't work.

Finally worked out the word I was searching for it is a surplus of wingers.
Yes , noticed that , quite a lot of looks to the touch line and some shoulder shrugging ….
A few times players weren’t sure of who to pick up/positioning at corners and free kicks ..

The big goal scoring chances fell to the wrong person who missed them.
Dango looked out of sorts from the first whistle so surprised he came out for the second half. Kluivert made a difference when he came in. We had a good spell in. The second half and had them shaking but kissed those big chances. Solanke could've played until midnight and wouldn't have scored so why not give Semenyo 10 mins upfront when their backline looked knackered?

The big goal scoring chances fell to the wrong person who missed them.
Dango looked out of sorts from the first whistle so surprised he came out for the second half. Kluivert made a difference when he came in. We had a good spell in. The second half and had them shaking but kissed those big chances. Solanke could've played until midnight and wouldn't have scored so why not give Semenyo 10 mins upfront when their backline looked knackered?
Noticed you didn't say much after the brentford game, I fact you flounced off.
I wonder why that was?

Could have won and could have lost which shows we are competitive this season.

Sure, we are still winless, but to only lose 2 games out of the opening 5 games is a decent achievement. Chelsea was the most winnable of these 5 so Disapointed we didn’t get the win but (1) we gave it a go and (2) we still some players looking for fitness

Definitely see the improvement in the team but expect a tough game at brighton next to then tee up the October fixtures during which we must notch that first win.

It was a really good game, end to end, I can’t believe the drivel that’s being written in the media, eg the BBC. Both teams could have won. Trouble is the media narrative is misfiring Chelsea and Iraola failing after nasty Bournemouth replaced O’Neil. Pure nonsense.

Everyone coming away afterwards was saying the same and then you read all the garbage. We can see the progress and Iraolaball taking shape, the lazy media just see 0-0 and an easy storyline.

Onwards and upwards.

It was a really good game, end to end, I can’t believe the drivel that’s being written in the media, eg the BBC. Both teams could have won. Trouble is the media narrative is misfiring Chelsea and Iraola failing after nasty Bournemouth replaced O’Neil. Pure nonsense.

Everyone coming away afterwards was saying the same and then you read all the garbage. We can see the progress and Iraolaball taking shape, the lazy media just see 0-0 and an easy storyline.

Onwards and upwards.
The first bit in the BBC report was shocking.

Thought it was a bright game… weird in that while both teams got into good positions I never expected the net to ripple so didn’t either get as excited or as tense as I normally do on attacks. Credit to both keepers.

Iraolaball is taking shape but looks blunt through a lack of natural goal scorers. We have five finishers in the squad. Billing, Tavs, Brooks, Moore and Solanke. Everyone else’s record is appalling. If you don’t start two of these and play Billing withdrawn and take Tavs off you are relying solely on Dom who was misfiring today despite good effort. For me Rothwell has to start instead of Christie to release Billing forwards and Brooks needs to come in (unless Sinisterra is a finisher).

Else we will have a lot of effort and no goals like today. We would have won today with more finishers on the pitch. I’m assuming Moore was injured? He’d have been much better on the end of the crosses that came in.

Having the pace of Kelly at the back helped us sit far more comfortably up the pitch against pace than the lumbering Senesi and in turn made Zab looked less uneasy. The full backs were exceptional as was Cook. Dango is another one of a long line of why you shouldn’t give Hughes a 20m cheque and a driver. File in the same box as Traore, Semenyo, Kliuvert etc although the latter looked a little better when he didn’t start and it was less physical. Let’s hope Sinisterra doesn’t complete 100m of enigmatic non end result wingers….

Brighton and Arsenal will be tough, it all needs to click for the three after that but with no centre of midfield looking fit for awhile because of our strange decision to sign two injured ones it could be a tense month or so. Hopefully the board will remember their role in it and give Iraola time and assurances.

Could have won and could have lost which shows we are competitive this season.

Sure, we are still winless, but to only lose 2 games out of the opening 5 games is a decent achievement. Chelsea was the most winnable of these 5 so Disapointed we didn’t get the win but (1) we gave it a go and (2) we still some players looking for fitness

Definitely see the improvement in the team but expect a tough game at brighton next to then tee up the October fixtures during which we must notch that first win.

I have a very strong hunch that we'll beat Brighton next week. After their momentous victory at Old Trafford yesterday, they now have another massive game on Thursday, their first-ever European match against Athens, in many ways the pinnacle of their history. I imagine this is going to be both a physically and emotionally draining match for them.

Then it's back to bread and butter with Bournemouth, a bit of an anti-climax...we can catch them on an off-day, I'm sure of it.

;