Post-match thoughts v Chelsea

As good as he was individually Lerma never formed part of an effective midfield partnership at the club. Compare Lewis Cook's performances with and without Lerma for example. Over four years older and hasn't played in a Champions League semi final or captained his country at a world cup. Neutrals at Liverpool and Chelsea weren't interested in Jefferson Lerma were they?

This is a player you would need to smash your wage structure to get to sign a contract extension. I don't think you have a good grasp of the opinion of neutrals tbh.
Lewis Cook needs to play in the Lerma position. That’s why they didn’t play well together. Lerma was excellent with a number of different midfielders in both divisions. There’s a reason why he was adored by many fans.

I understand why we didn’t keep him. I was merely refuting your suggestion that him leaving created ‘significant room for player purchases’

You’ve rowed back a large number of miles from that towards the truth so it’s largely an irrelevant discussion now as we are in agreement.

Lewis Cook needs to play in the Lerma position. That’s why they didn’t play well together. Lerma was excellent with a number of different midfielders in both divisions. There’s a reason why he was adored by many fans.

I understand why we didn’t keep him. I was merely refuting your suggestion that him leaving created ‘significant room for player purchases’

You’ve rowed back a large number of miles from that towards the truth so it’s largely an irrelevant discussion now as we are in agreement.

Who has Lerma formed an effective partnership with in our midfield? I loved him because he was a 100% player, covered loads of ground and got stuck in. What's not to love? As you now appear to concede though it wasn't worth breaking the wage structure to keep him when better options were available.

Letting him go did create significant room for player purchases. You can argue with me on the precise definition but he was our most expensive player in wages terms at the time and would have been at least twice as expensive to keep so I absolutely stick by that statement.

Lerma has gone.

Others will Go.

Others will come....managers too !

Essentially it's about who pulls on the Red and Black shirt in each game.. and the focus of fans on just THAT......everything else is very much pie in the sky on the player and manager front.
..ships passing in the night bingo.

We have our History to savour during the time between games ..some bits more savoury than others ...and the future to speculate on which will be roughly the same.
I am part of that.. you are part of that.

Although some of us don't like much of how Football is evolving it has become one huge Entertainment
.. featuring Worldwide...
....throwing whatever material onto a Football Forum...onto its various 'threads' is a way to gauge opinions of others or ...just getting it off your head and moving onto the next random thought that crops up.
Metaphorically it's almost like walking into hundred pubs and kicking up reactions or starting an argument.
The Americans are here....so it's like having those old swing doors on the Wild West Saloon bars...kick em open and announce yourself...and hey what happens ...happens .. bud !

Don't be afraid to be heard ! :loser:

Who has Lerma formed an effective partnership with in our midfield? I loved him because he was a 100% player, covered loads of ground and got stuck in. What's not to love? As you now appear to concede though it wasn't worth breaking the wage structure to keep him when better options were available.

Letting him go did create significant room for player purchases. You can argue with me on the precise definition but he was our most expensive player in wages terms at the time and would have been at least twice as expensive to keep so I absolutely stick by that statement.
No. Lerma going didn’t even cover his replacement. You can’t row back then row forwards. It didn’t even cover a purchase. Let alone purchases.

That’s a fact. The rest is subjective. In terms of player combinations I thought he was excellent with Rothwell and Billing around him. He also looked good with Pearson the level below to name a few. I need to go back and look who he played with in his excellent debut season.

I was waiting for this to fizzle out before just questioning something… did Lerma not have a say in this?

I don’t believe he ever had the intention of signing a new deal. He was always going to leave when it expired so he could land a huge sign on fee and big wages.

No. Lerma going didn’t even cover his replacement. You can’t row back then row forwards. It didn’t even cover a purchase. Let alone purchases.

That’s a fact. The rest is subjective. In terms of player combinations I thought he was excellent with Rothwell and Billing around him. He also looked good with Pearson the level below to name a few. I need to go back and look who he played with in his excellent debut season.

Go back and read what I said. I stick with it 100% and I'm not rowing back on anything. Lerma going freed a load of space on the wage bill. Our most expensive player at the time.

I was waiting for this to fizzle out before just questioning something… did Lerma not have a say in this?

I don’t believe he ever had the intention of signing a new deal. He was always going to leave when it expired so he could land a huge sign on fee and big wages.

Of course he wasn't going to sign. Neither party was ever going to agree to extend his contract whilst in the Championship - it would have been a stupid thing for the club or the player to do. After that he knew his worth and wasn't going to sign unless the club matched the offer he was likely to get elsewhere, which wasn't worth doing from the club's perspective for a 28 year old.

Lloyd Kelly on the other hand is a different matter. That said I think fans who like to assert their right to boo players should look closer to home as to why he might not fancy signing an extension.

Go back and read what I said. I stick with it 100% and I'm not rowing back on anything. Lerma going freed a load of space on the wage bill. Our most expensive player at the time.
He didn’t even free up the space on the wage bill for his replacement. Our wage bill has shot up again with Bills money.

You are probably right. The argument wasn’t about that though. It was about whether him leaving facilitated significant player purchases. It didn’t, as Del has now conceded.

You are probably right. The argument wasn’t about that though. It was about whether him leaving facilitated significant player purchases. It didn’t, as Del has now conceded.

Will this be the end of you citing Lerma leaving as a sign of the board's incompetence then?

;