Pre Match trial of outside area - observations

GaryRB

UTC Legend
Have seen a couple of thoughts on matchday thread, but rather than they being lost there, in case it happens again, worth its own thread I thought

I was meeting someone by the Jubilee Gates who had my ticket, arriving over an hour before ko. First steward at 'soft check' perimeter wouldn't let me in. I showed him the email stating for those with such arrangement, or collecting from ticket office, to let the staff know(and assumption there was they would let you through) , his response was to give them call to meet you out here. I asked what if I was collecting from ticket office (so that wouldn't help) , he just shrugged and said I don't make the rules. What a knob he was. I stepped 2 paces to the side, showed same email to another steward, who gave the expected 'corporate response', smiled, waved me through, with "have a nice afternoon". Some education clearly needed

The sunshine clearly helped, atmosphere wasnt bad. Long queues at the main bar by north stand, dont think anyone realised (until going to the turnstiles) there was another small tap bar by Turnstile C, with no queue. Next time, if only getting pints, people will know and queue at main bar could be smaller

If people are going to be there for longer, drinking beer, they need toilets

Describing the outside barrier as a soft search is right. On approaching the ground, my son decides he wants to walk through the players car park and look at the posh motors. I'd completely forgot about the soft search. I arrived at the perimeter flashed my ST and then thought I still had my son's + a mate's and his son. Wandered on towards reception to give 'our brick' the lucky three taps and my son's stood there past the soft search barrier. " how'd you get through"? "Steward recognised me and waved me through". "We'd better get over near our turnstiles to hand Guy his tickets". Got over to the barrier by the big car park, mate strolled up, handed his tickets to him over the barrier and they were straight through.

My experience was, it was well managed considering it was something new.

I'm sure some will get on their high horse about it, but there really was no drama.

As I said on another thread, I just strolled past the Steward with ST still in wallet. He didn't ask, I didn't offer. That was 15mins before k.o. so I guess they wouldn't be checking much as the bars were closed by then.
Did notice the queue for the East Stand was massive but it disappeared fairly quickly so maybe there had been a turnstile issue? North stand queue was about usual.

My observations from the other thread...

I bet they sold loads of beer and it was a nice sunny atmosphere from what I saw. The problem was that the nice weather encouraged everyone to drink outside rather than under the stand so it ended up with everyone leaving it until the last minute to head to the turnstiles. The east stand queue wrapped around the north stand like a midweek cup game. Mind you there didn't half seem to be a lot of confused looking season ticket holders there yesterday - couldn't work the entry system or find their seat.

I have no issues with it as I'm a season ticket holder but observations :-

It does keep away fans away from waiting for the away players coach arriving.

It makes a mockery of the idea for ticket holders only being allowed in the designated area if children and adults collecting autographs of Cherries players arriving 4 hours before kick off can stay in the area without having tickets.Something needs to be sorted out for them if the system is ever introduced otherwise a crush will develop along the small length of barrier along the exit from the player's car park.

Last edited:
Great idea at start and end of season,not so great if its battering it down..
As said above toilets needed.
Also noticed more people seemed to be getting up during the game for the loo around me.
Good idea on the pizzas maybe other different food vendors could be utilised ?
Also would be good if some local breweries such as Way outback or Wimborne could get involved

Please keep the feedback coming. We’re absolutely looking to add more elements (food, beverage locations, entertainment, etc) next season. As for toilets, off the top of my head you have pre match (before turnstiles open) access in the north stand, bar 1 in the main stand, south stand toilets, portable locations by the marquees. Additional access in DC lounge and Changing places (in addition to accessible locations included in stands above) for disabled supporters.

Please keep the feedback coming. We’re absolutely looking to add more elements (food, beverage locations, entertainment, etc) next season. As for toilets, off the top of my head you have pre match (before turnstiles open) access in the north stand, bar 1 in the main stand, south stand toilets, portable locations by the marquees. Additional access in DC lounge and Changing places (in addition to accessible locations included in stands above) for disabled supporters.
An opportunity to neck some beers at football is always welcome.

But, being able to take a slash is paramount.

Thought it looked very good around the ground, with different food/drink offerings. I dont know if its possible but more sheltered areas might be useful in inclement weather, and encourage people to arrive earlier.

The ability to get alcohol in DC lounge maybe? :)

Observation from the North Stand. Arrived as usual around 45 minutes before kick off so too late to want a pint, but the queues looked reasonable and it was great to see so many people outside the ground. The food was a good idea. Having the band playing was fine

Given we worked our way to the turnstiles, we breezed through in a couple of minutes rather than the usual 15. With everyone outside it was nice not to have to fight your way through the bar area.

Give me another sunny afternoon and we will probably turn up early enough for a beer.

I have no issues with it as I'm a season ticket holder but observations :-

It does keep away fans away from waiting for the away players coach arriving.

It makes a mockery of the idea for ticket holders only being allowed in the designated area if children and adults collecting autographs of Cherries players arriving 4 hours before kick off can stay in the area without having tickets.Something needs to be sorted out for them if the system is ever introduced otherwise a crush will develop along the small length of barrier along the exit from the player's car park.
Jesus man! I never realised that pre match was so important.

Observation from the North Stand. Arrived as usual around 45 minutes before kick off so too late to want a pint, but the queues looked reasonable and it was great to see so many people outside the ground. The food was a good idea. Having the band playing was fine

Given we worked our way to the turnstiles, we breezed through in a couple of minutes rather than the usual 15. With everyone outside it was nice not to have to fight your way through the bar area.

Give me another sunny afternoon and we will probably turn up early enough for a beer.
This .

Local beer please
A partnership with a proper brewer would make the club look less in bed with the Mega Corps

I really liked the atmosphere, vibe was just right, gave me a chance to catch up with a load of mates. Obviously the weather made it so it would be good to have some shelter for rainy days. I agree with other comments, a tie in with a local brewery would be nice. If you want some suggestions please ask.

;