Promotion v Bolton or Promotion v Forest ?

On the same Saturday, Norwich conceded a late equaliser at Rotherham to drop two points. So, dramatically and unexpectedly, we were presented with the opportunity to get promoted to the Premier League. There were only a couple of days for this to sink in, which was just as well because as a long suffering Boscombe fan I was convinced we would screw it up. That was compounded when the Bolton goalie made some good early saves suggesting he was going to have the game of his life.

Surely nothing could match the joy when Pugh scored.

I won’t describe the context to the Forest game. Enough to say that I was again convinced we would screw it up. So my relief, exhilaration and joy was just as great when Moore scored from almost exactly the same position as from where Pugh had scored. So, for me, they were both brilliant moments and I would not want to separate them.

Last edited:
Tough one!

So Forest the better match, Bolton the better occasion and the end of a miracle with a team of journeymen so shades it.

I always thought in the context of football journeymen are typically older players that float between clubs. Our Bolton side was largely the same young players for the last 3/4 years.

I always thought in the context of football journeymen are typically older players that float between clubs. Our Bolton side was largely the same young players for the last 3/4 years.
Maybe they seemed older. I was meaning more players that had done the circuit of mediocrity like Pugh at Bury\Shrewsbury\Hereford and the others that came from Charlton, Brighton, Orient, Bristol City, Swindon etc as opposed to now where we have a lot of internationals or players who played Champions league for Chelsea and Liverpool.

In the event, Derby did start strongly but by the late spring there were seven or eight teams in with a good shout of automatic promotion. Going into the penultimate round of fixtures, Middlesbrough were in the driving seat. Then this happened:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjtsKSzoNT3AhUVR8AKHZ79AGMQtwJ6BAgHEAI&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RWcgu4fWvY&usg=AOvVaw0DjEjs_RTUkRwxzkLV3kzi

They weren't in the driving seat even if they'd won that because of our goal difference. We've have gone back above them after beating Bolton. It was crazy though. After Fulham scored, I book a flight home and went to the airport ready for Monday. I was originally flying in for Charlton.

Bolton for the journey of supporting AFCB for 20 years and never thinking I would see us reach the Prem when standing on the old South End. It was the most emotional I have been at a game.

Forest for the drama and tension of one game with so much riding on it for both sides. I don't recall ever hearing the new stadium as loud as it was for Forest - the noise when Moore hit the back of the net will stay with me for a long time. Plus I got to share Forest with my old man, which adds something intangible. I hope I get to do the same with my boys one day.

;