Qatar World Cup

The group stages qualifying were exciting given quality was a bit variable at times but the round of 16 games have been a bit dull in comparison given the teams haven’t been evenly matched. Hoping quarter finals sees quality coming through and the quality of games picks up

The group stages qualifying were exciting given quality was a bit variable at times but the round of 16 games have been a bit dull in comparison given the teams haven’t been evenly matched. Hoping quarter finals sees quality coming through and the quality of games picks up
I think the quality is already coming through.

Reactions: DJ
Another performance tonight where our team again managed to score goals.

So far our side have scored 12 goals and conceded 2, it could be said that our opposition hasn’t been that strong, bar the game against the USA which finished goalless.

But when you look back at the groups, this competition has produced shock results where some of the more fancied sides have gone home after being beaten by sides they were expected to beat.

So I look forward with optimism to our game against France, yes they have got Mbappe plus other good players, but we have young players like Bellingham, Saka and Foden, plus experienced players.

Things have got better since Mr Gareth stopped wearing a tie...it was stifling his decision making.
I guess it was only shed off because of the heat out there.. now to break free of the suit..get into a nice thin cotton tracksuit and we are all go to win the WC.

Another performance tonight where our team again managed to score goals.

So far our side have scored 12 goals and conceded 2, it could be said that our opposition hasn’t been that strong, bar the game against the USA which finished goalless.

But when you look back at the groups, this competition has produced shock results where some of the more fancied sides have gone home after being beaten by sides they were expected to beat.

So I look forward with optimism to our game against France, yes they have got Mbappe plus other good players, but we have young players like Bellingham, Saka and Foden, plus experienced players.

agree plus, in a team game, morale/team spirit is vital and it’s clear the group behave like a team rather than a group of individuals/cliques that seem to happen in the past. I hope that can count a lot when going gets tough

Any team of the remaining contenders can win it now....team spirit and luck come into the reckoning..all the Gush about Mbappe, Messi, Ron Dildo, Harry Kane and Co is just Pundit fodder...
....and those tenacious little f√ckers from Croatia are still about !
It's all very interesting and providing many angles to view it from !

Anything’s possible. And I for one would appreciate someone posting Henry V’s St Crispin’s Day speech on Saturday morning (Henry V, Act IV, Scene 3)- I’d vote for Old Cherry to step up.

That's a long ol' speech...but contains some rip snorting Englishness . .just Google it up and during the week savour a few lines before dropping off to sleep each night before next Saturday.

I lay here now looking at the map of Europe...how England sits on France's head... English effluent and scum flowing on to it from the River Itchen !

Open your mouths Pierre , Mathieu, Antoine and Florian.. and swallow !

That'll do for now !

@AlGard I hope you are well enough to enjoy Saturdays game. Should be a cracker

15 years I have lived here. I always wanted a big meaningful France v England game.
So close to a dream final in 2018 wasn't it,
Had it all planned, upgraded wine, charcuterie board of the finest food around. A great afternoon spoilt by Croatia.
There is a village hardcore of around 20 or so who meet in the bar for France games.
No doubting who I support those nights.

When the draw was made for this year, we fathoms a FRA/ENG q/f.

The party is happening this Saturday, but sadly I can't be there due to being in hospital.
They'll get my 20 euros share for the food mind.

Gutted. 28 inch TV with French commentary Bugger.

I support France in all sporting events bar when they play England at football.

You are right, it will be a cracker. Can't get a fag paper between them
Can't wait.

Gary O’Neil’s inspired tactics to deal with Mbappe…

Saka out for Alexander-Arnold, he drops deeper as more of a wing back. Kyle Walker as a right back/centre back but an almost sole focus on Mbappe.

Foden can play a 10 behind Kane, Bellingham can cover the gaps as he’s that good.

Southgate has achieved a lot already. England have only achieved 11 victories in the knock out stages of the World Cup ever.

Three of those in 1966. It was a 20 year wait after that when we beat Paraguay
3-0 in 1986.

1990 Belgium and Cameroon, both aet.
2002 Denmark
2006 Ecuador
2018 Columbia (pens)
2018 Sweden.
2022 Senegal

Beating France in the World Cup would represent our biggest knock out victory, in terms of top opposition, since 1966. Regardless of how we play, how much the game has changed, this is the biggest of big ones. A victory will give Southgate a real (cockerel’s) feather in his cap.

;