Reading v AFC Bournemouth

billythekid

UTC Legend
Can We Do The Double For A Third Time?

The Cherries advanced to the 5th Round of the FA Cup last night with a 2-1 victory over League 2 side Crawley Town and face Burnley away. The Cherries goals came from Jack Wilshere and Josh King. It’s back to Championship action on Friday night at 8 pm away against Reading which is being shown live on Sky TV.

Since we last played Reading at Dean Court and beat them in that second half comeback, their fourth Championship defeat in a row - they broke their losing sequence with a 1-1 draw away at Millwall. In home results, Reading won their next two home games beating Bristol City 3-1 and Nottingham Forest 2-0. Then they lost two games both by 1-2 against Birmingham City and Norwich City. Then they won their next two games, beating Luton Town 2-1 and in their last home game Coventry City 3-1. Away from home since our earlier game at Dean Court, Reading have beaten QPR 0-1 and Huddersfield Town 1-2. They have drawn with (as mentioned above) Millwall, also Sheffield Wednesday 1-1, Swansea City 0-0 and their most recent game against Preston N E 0-0, Reading missed a late penalty. Lost one game against Brentford 3-1.

After the game back in November and 22 games played, Reading were 6th in the table with 22 points. AFCB were 2ndwith 23 points. Going into Friday’s game Reading after 25 games are 5th with 44 points. AFCB are 6th with 43 points.

In our previous two Championship seasons 2013-14 and 2014-15 when we played Reading, our team did the double over them. In 2013-14 at their ground AFCB won 1-2. Two first half goals in a four minute spell not far from half-time gave the Cherries a 0-2 lead going in at half-time. The first on 37 minutes was scored by Lewis Grabban and in the 41st minute Matt Ritchie added the second. Le Fondre scored the consolation goal for Reading in the 90th minute of injury time. Previous to this Reading had been unbeaten at home that season.

The 2014-15 season game at the Madejski Stadium was in April with four games to go, a 22nd minute Callum Wilson goal was the only goal of the game, but enough for the Cherries to take 3 points and go top of the table on 83 points with three games to go. Norwich were second on 82 points and Watford third also on 82 points, the rest as they say is history.

Games against Reading in the league away from home, AFCB have W 14, D 8. L 30.

In all competitions, AFCB have W 45, D 24, L 42.

Reading Team News
They have had a number of players out with injuries and likely to miss our game. George Puscas, Liam Moore and Felipe Araruna. Players who could possibly be back are Yakou Meite, Michael Olise and Andy Yiadom.

Reading Player To Watch
Lucas Joao, In fine scoring form, has now scored 14 league goals with 5 assists. Strong all round player.

AFCB Team News
Apart from Junior Stanislas, Jason Tindall has a strong squad to pick from, no new injuries reported after Tuesday night.

AFCB player To Watch
Jack Wilshere started and scored in the cup game and has again gained vital match fitness ahead of our game on Friday. With his experience and skill, will be a vital cog in our midfield to open up opposition defences. So hope to see him have a good performance against Reading.

This really is a big game for us.
Not enormous because it’s still relatively early on in the season.
But it’s still of the large size.
It’s the sort of game that if we win will spread so much confidence and if we lose will spread a fair amount of despair.
Pivotal I think the word is.
Yes.
Pivotal by George.

I think Begovic will be our player to watch to be frank.

If we can get the best out of Wilshere and more games he plays the sharper and fitter he will get, a Wilshere that is fit and sharp could be a real asset for us to open up defences and start scoring goals again.

Brooks is out of form at the moment and the games I have seen him play has lost the ball easily and is not the player we saw earlier this season where he was on his game.

Begovic will be important as Reading are a threat, but we just need our team to click again and hopefully get back on track.

We did it earlier in the season and we can do it again, Reading plus other sides have had a blip and have come back from it.

This really is a big game for us.
Not enormous because it’s still relatively early on in the season.
But it’s still of the large size.
It’s the sort of game that if we win will spread so much confidence and if we lose will spread a fair amount of despair.
Pivotal I think the word is.
Yes.
Pivotal by George.

... and it's Reading away... Regardless of anything, I just would love to stuff it up the biscuits... !!!!

This is a bit of a Crunch game against them Biscuitmen....they are due another dunking ..and we are due another good run..
It'll be stoked...it needs to be to get us fired up for once !
Jack might scare em a bit...make em nervy..Cooky will be fired up as usual...and the others fed up with the Crit...so its all on for another 4-2 to the Cherries and back in the race !

WE need to do the 2 up bit at HT...and draw the 2nd half 2-2...I.e. don't mess it up like Reading did at DC.

Last edited:
Reading away on a Friday night..actually it doesn't matter what night or day, always a crunch game, always a massive away support for us, always some needle going right back to the Elm Park days.

I know we all need this sanitised crap to keep us sane but hell it would have been brilliant to visit the madstad again and stick it up them. Here's hoping.

Team I’m going for :
Begovic
Stacey
Mepham
Cook
Kelly

L Cook
Wilshire
Lerma

king
Solanke
Danjuma
Seems like a reasonably good shout.

Three questions for me would be
- Is Mepham fit (and S Cook) and available
- Kelly or Rico (or Smith) - I would prefer Rico, as the good stuff from him is worth the errors, while Kelly doesn't give for me enough upside
- Would we have faith in back 4 and be so brave to play a midfield three of Cook, Wilshere, and Brooks. Risks of Brooks instead of Lerma but again more upside.

Does anyone know if there will be Solent commentary on the stream this time? Or have they seen any info on this?

For the last game on Sky (the Derby game) there was no commentary, however I think everyone forgot about that afterwards!

hopefully...

Begovic

Stacey
Carter VIckers
S Cook
Kelly

L Cook
Lerma
Wilshere
Billing

King
Solanke

Bench:

Brooks/Surridge/Stanislas/Riquelme/Rico/Smith/Dennis/Danjuma & Mepham

I worry about Brooks tracking back..Rico did not look good on Tuesday...Danjuma needs to be rested after his return from injury, as Mepham..not sure how much Stanislas will be able to give after his knock recently?

Reading do have some pace in their side so Stacey & Kelly could be crucial on the flanks blocking attacks..We will require a strong performance from our midfield and some sharpness from Dom

on the positive side King and Wilshere could be a good partnership

hopefully...

Begovic

Stacey
Carter VIckers
S Cook
Kelly

L Cook
Lerma
Wilshere
Billing

King
Solanke

Bench:

I worry about Brooks tracking back..Rico did not look good on Tuesday...Danjuma needs to be rested after his return from injury, as Mepham..not sure how much Stanislas will be able to give after his knock recently?

Reading do have some pace in their side so Stacey & Kelly could be crucial on the flanks blocking attacks..We will require a strong performance from our midfield and some sharpness from Dom

You can’t play 4 centre mids lol

hopefully...

Begovic

Stacey
Carter VIckers
S Cook
Kelly

L Cook
Lerma
Wilshere
Billing

King
Solanke

Bench:

4 CM's would offer no pace or width, Danjuma and Riquelme to start.

You can’t play 4 centre mids lol
Don't tell me you've never heard of the box midfield formation!.......you really shouldn't mock what you don't understand....some people on here don't just think in straight lines you know......i expect Champagne Cherry will be along shortly to explain this to you.

;