Record since Week 10

canadiancherry

Star Player
I was thinking about a question: what would the PL standings look like if the season started Week 10 (when we got our first win, vs Burnley)?

Here is the table from Week 10 onwards (admittedly some teams have games in hand, and there were points deductions for some):

1. Liverpool 44
2. Arsenal 43
3. Man City. 42
4. Villa 40
5. AFCB 35
6. Spurs 33
7. Man United 33
8. West Ham 30
9. Wolves 30
10. Chelsea 28
11. Fulham 28
12. Newcastle 27
13. Brighton 26
14. Palace 18
15. Everton 18 (really 24)
16. Brentford 17
17. Luton 17
18. Burnley 14
19. Sheffield U 14
20. Forest 12 (really 16)

I was thinking about a question: what would the PL standings look like if the season started Week 10 (when we got our first win, vs Burnley)?

Here is the table from Week 10 onwards (admittedly some teams have games in hand, and there were points deductions for some):

1. Liverpool 44
2. Arsenal 43
3. Man City. 42
4. Villa 40
5. AFCB 35
6. Spurs 33
7. Man United 33
8. West Ham 30
9. Wolves 30
10. Chelsea 28
11. Fulham 28
12. Newcastle 27
13. Brighton 26
14. Palace 18
16. Brentford 17
17. Luton 17
18. Burnley 14
19. Sheffield U 14
That's incredible tbf......

1. Liverpool 44
2. Arsenal 43
3. Man City. 42
4. Villa 40
5. AFCB 35
6. Spurs 33
7. Man United 33
8. West Ham 30
9. Wolves 30
10. Chelsea 28
11. Fulham 28
12. Newcastle 27
13. Brighton 26
14. Palace 18
16. Brentford 17
17. Luton 17
18. Burnley 14
19. Sheffield U 14
I want to like that a hundred times …how can anyone not look forward to next season .

Impressive, and tbh most of the results at the start of the season weren't surprises - it was pretty clear we had a very tough run of fixtures to get the season underway.

If those first 8 or 9 games had been more evenly dispersed, so many alarm bells and wet beds wouldn't have occurred.

Yes Dom would be massive miss given his total contribution to our team…I fear he may think he needs to move to get international recognition (yeah thanks Gareth,you idiot)
To be fair, and sadly in today’s game, we probably need to cash in on him as his stock will be high.
Hopefully our recruitment team are already on the case?

The only thing that is a worry is how many points are down to Dom. He is going to be a huge miss , assuming he goes

He will be, but I'm confident given clubs increased stature, spending power, we'll source decent replacements and life will go on just fine without him :)

Impressive, and tbh most of the results at the start of the season weren't surprises - it was pretty clear we had a very tough run of fixtures to get the season underway.

If those first 8 or 9 games had been more evenly dispersed, so many alarm bells and wet beds wouldn't have occurred.

Indeed, but, many did see the reality of the situation with feet kept solidly in realistic expectations.

Our performances during those games in the main, wasn’t bad, you could see potential, you could see the players improving despite the opposition and results. Just like when the run of fixtures became more favourable we didn’t all of a sudden become world beaters. The truth was always somewhere in the middle.

Indeed, but, many did see the reality of the situation with feet kept solidly in realistic expectations.

Our performances during those games in the main, wasn’t bad, you could see potential, you could see the players improving despite the opposition and results. Just like when the run of fixtures became more favourable we didn’t all of a sudden become world beaters. The truth was always somewhere in the middle.

Exactly. Became a bit frustrating how people kept saying 'we only have x points' and 'have lost x/haven't won in x' despite pretty much none of the results being surprises, and 'easier' runs being on the horizon.

As with most things, context is key.

If we'd had similar points after playing Luton, Sheff U, Burnley, Forest and similar... fair enough. I'd be down Dunelm buying extra heavy mattress protection covers too.

We weren't good in those games. The players really struggled especially in the middle of the park. You only have to look at how many chances we were giving away compared to what we created.

We weren't good in those games. The players really struggled especially in the middle of the park. You only have to look at how many chances we were giving away compared to what we created.

Yes tbf, it was mentioned instructions were convoluted/too complex early on. Think Dom mentioned that in an interview. AI then tweaked that.

In some ways good to do that in tougher games I guess, rather than give away points in more winnable matches, and then have to get something from the games where we're clear outsiders.

Take the dropped points in the last minute nto account since Burnley as well.

Brentford away 90th minute Mbeumo - 2 points dropped
Wolves home 89th winner Kalajdzic - 1 point dropped
Villa home 90th minute equaliser Watkins - 2 points dropped
Newcastle away 92 minutes equaliser Ritchie - 2 points dropped

Though we also had 1 point gained v Sheff Utd and 2 at Florist so could be 4 points better off

The only time I was getting concerned about our prospects for this season was after the Wolves game.

Apart from that, the opening fixtures were brutal.. but even so, we played excellently in spells and could/should have got over the line at Brentford and at home to Chelsea.

Anyway, thinking about it a bit more, we've been averaging 1.75 points per game since then.
Over an entire season, that would be about 65 points.
Haven't checked everything, but haven't we played Liverpool and Man City during that 20 game period?
Yeah, now that things are clicking, we're looking like a top-half side, and could end up in Europa league after next season if we can maintain the form.
Dom being a big question mark of course - here's hoping he either stays, or Unal (or somebody else) can step up and fill his shoes.

Has to be a bit of a dilemma for Dom as well. He seems like a level-headed guy, and I wonder if he will consider the downside of going to a big team. Will he be just another cog in the wheel, and easily replaced by a big-spending club if he doesn't immediately "click"? Cannot recall his current contract status, could it be mutually renegotiated for more money if both AFCB and Dom were willing?

He has been so successful this season, building on his skills and fitting AI's style. Seems like a risk for him to make a big move to potentially fall flat.

Has to be a bit of a dilemma for Dom as well. He seems like a level-headed guy, and I wonder if he will consider the downside of going to a big team. Will he be just another cog in the wheel, and easily replaced by a big-spending club if he doesn't immediately "click"? Cannot recall his current contract status, could it be mutually renegotiated for more money if both AFCB and Dom were willing?

He has been so successful this season, building on his skills and fitting AI's style. Seems like a risk for him to make a big move to potentially fall flat.
Dom signed an extension recently.

Despite my earlier thoughts on the inevitability of losing him in the summer, now I wouldn't be at all surprised if we kept him for another season.

We will probably be able to raise the FFP funds with other sales, losing players who are going to be easier to replace more cheaply.

I think Bill is a winner and will know how important it is to keep your best players. If you don't, you might as well give up. Progressing next season without Dom is going to be an almost impossible ask.

For no other reason than Bill clearly wanting to achieve something here, I think we'll try to keep Dom for one more season. I also think Dom would be happy enough to stay here.

Clearly there is an argument for cashing in after his excellent season but that really is a bit of a loser attitude and I can see us exploring all other avenues to balance the books before considering selling him. If we sell him in the summer, what does that say about our ambition ? To achieve anything in this league, you certainly need a reliable goal scorer.

If Bill wants a successful team, he will pull out all of the stops to keep Dom here IMO. Based on his approach to the Vegas Golden Knights, I can't see him selling our most important player right now, just as we are on the verge of a possibly era defining season in 24/25.

Dom signed an extension recently.

Despite my earlier thoughts on the inevitability of losing him in the summer, now I wouldn't be at all surprised if we kept him for another season.

We will probably be able to raise the FFP funds with other sales, losing players who are going to be easier to replace more cheaply.

I think Bill is a winner and will know how important it is to keep your best players. If you don't, you might as well give up. Progressing next season without Dom is going to be an almost impossible ask.

For no other reason than Bill clearly wanting to achieve something here, I think we'll try to keep Dom for one more season. I also think Dom would be happy enough to stay here.

Clearly there is an argument for cashing in after his excellent season but that really is a bit of a loser attitude and I can see us exploring all other avenues to balance the books before considering selling him. If we sell him in the summer, what does that say about our ambition ? To achieve anything in this league, you certainly need a reliable goal scorer.

If Bill wants a successful team, he will pull out all of the stops to keep Dom here IMO. Based on his approach to the Vegas Golden Knights, I can't see him selling our most important player right now, just as we are on the verge of a possibly era defining season in 24/25.
Yes exactly. And I'm struggling to imagine likes of west ham offering 50 mill + for him.

Unless he continues in current vein to interest top clubs, just can't see clubs outside elite offering what he's worth to us. Ie 60/70 odd mill.

After the recent results I thought why not update the 'what if we could erase the first 9 games' table. There were a lot of draws, while we won and therefore moved up relative to most teams in the league:

1. Arsenal 47
2. Liverpool 47
3. Man City 46
4. Villa 40
5. AFCB 38
6. Spurs 34
7. Man United 33
8. West Ham 31
9. Wolves 31
10. Chelsea 28
11. Fulham 28
12. Newcastle 28
13. Brighton 27
14. Palace 18
15. Everton 19 (really 25)
16. Brentford 18
17. Luton 17
18. Forest 15 (really 19)
19. Burnley 15
20. Sheffield U 14

Update of the Premier League Table since Week 10:
(ignoring points earned in first 9 games; also ignoring points deductions to Everton and Forest)
AFCB still in 5th, still very close to Villa. We've also gained on Man United.
Shocking thing is that the league looks like a close race between the top 3, followed by a close 4th and 5th, which includes us. Crazy.

1. Arsenal 59
2. Man City 58
3. Liverpool 55
4. Villa 48
5. AFCB 45
6. Man United 39
7. Newcastle 37
8. Spurs 37
9. Chelsea 36
10. Wolves 35
11. West Ham 35
12. Fulham 32
13. Brighton 28
14. Palace 28
15. Everton 37
16. Brentford 25
17. Luton 20
18. Forest 20
19. Burnley 20
20. Sheffield U 15

* obviously, some teams have games in hand. This is just for fun.

;