Recruitment war- Parker vs Demin

KingKieffer

Star Player
Kris Temple has just put out a tweet that might shed some light on Parker’s comments re recruitment and competitiveness. The tweet reads:

reflection: • SP admitted in his interview with me that his previous recruitment had been to get out of the Champ. The owner understandably takes a longer-term view on signings. They have nowhere near enough to stay up currently. Owner trust in SP now in focus.

It seems as though Parker asked for players last season to give us a squad good enough to get promoted, he then expected to be able to move some of these players on to make room for upgrades in the PL. Max and the board seem to hold the view that these players were signed with the long term in mind. It would appear as though there has been a monumental misunderstanding along the way between Parker and the club over the short/medium term direction of the playing squad. Smacks of incompetence from both the board and Parker really. Surely this kind of planning should be clear and defined. How could the club chase Parker for so long only to then appoint him and not have a clear plan in place? Very poor. Blake, Hughes and Maxim are being shown up again here.

If Parker thought he was coming here to be given a bigger budget than the one at Fulham then he's as thick as mince.

Anyone with even the most cursory knowledge of the game could see that. Ffs, their chairman tried to blimmin well buy Wembley for them a few years back. Then there was the big sell off/release programme of players with us.

No idea what he has been told but I struggle to believe it was you can sign a bunch of players in one window and sell them in the next because we have money to burn. Sure, it can happen to a player here or there when things don't work out but as a policy... that doesn't match us as a club even remotely.

If Parker thought he was coming here to be given a bigger budget than the one at Fulham then he's as thick as mince.

Anyone with even the most cursory knowledge of the game could see that. Ffs, their chairman tried to blimmin well buy Wembley for them a few years back. Then there was the big sell off/release programme of players with us.

No idea what he has been told but I struggle to believe it was you can sign a bunch of players in one window and sell them in the next because we have money to burn. Sure, it can happen to a player here or there when things don't work out but as a policy... that doesn't match us as a club even remotely.

Agreed never heard of a club that says we will buy new players now with 4-5 year contracts and try to flog them next season to buy replacements. SP maybe just won’t admit he’s ever wrong

Eeeerm. Isn't this kind of thing blinking obvious? Did it need a 'Right we're signing these guys to get us up and then we'll need more investment'? Just common sense. We didn't even spend much on them. If this comment is true, seems to me that the powers that be are being rather dishonest. Steve Cook was moved on to save money. Players were bought cheaply to save money. How could they genuinely have believed Parker was recruiting them all for the PL given how little they cost? There's a smell of kippers lurking, and it isn't a nice one!!!

I'm not sure it was all about budget, but some structure he didn;t agree with... something weird like the owners son being the main person to sign players and Parker having little say in it.

Kris Temple has just put out a tweet that might shed some light on Parker’s comments re recruitment and competitiveness. The tweet reads:

reflection: • SP admitted in his interview with me that his previous recruitment had been to get out of the Champ. The owner understandably takes a longer-term view on signings. They have nowhere near enough to stay up currently. Owner trust in SP now in focus.

It seems as though Parker asked for players last season to give us a squad good enough to get promoted, he then expected to be able to move some of these players on to make room for upgrades in the PL. Max and the board seem to hold the view that these players were signed with the long term in mind. It would appear as though there has been a monumental misunderstanding along the way between Parker and the club over the short/medium term direction of the playing squad. Smacks of incompetence from both the board and Parker really. Surely this kind of planning should be clear and defined. How could the club chase Parker for so long only to then appoint him and not have a clear plan in place? Very poor. Blake, Hughes and Maxim are being shown up again here.

Not saying its not true, but where is the evidence of this difference in outlook? Sounds more like a suggestion from what you'e posted.

If it isn;t true thats a concern. TBH Dembele, Lowe had heavy question marks over their ability to step up all along in my eyes. Thought that when we signed them. Good to very good Champ level players. But thought fair enough, seems like the plan is to sign players to make this seasons objectives, then bring in more quality if we go up.

Seemed a clear change in strategy... short term view approach, rather than building a PL ready squad last season... which we have a half decent core remaining from our previous PL campaign.

Bit concerning if that wasn;t clear to Blake/Hughes, Id have thought Demin would notice that, but if he;s not really into football as such, not totally unreasonable for him not to be aware. Thats why he employs Blake and Hughes though surely... trusted football people that work in his best interests, work out the strategy etc with the manager and relay that to Demin and his people to sign off/ensure happy with?

We are a club that has to recruit for the future.....Parker doesn't see his future with us though........this is why he was never a good fit for us......we need a manager who can coach and motivate young players........not belittle them.

I think a professional coach/manager/player needs to live in the now and give their all to the now. If they focus too much on the future, it won't work. It's all about the journey.

Does sound like there is a divide between sp and the board now.
Don't think that will go down well with NB. He will probably send SP a text at about 4am telling him he's sacked ..

I'm getting fucking sick of Scott Parker. Look at the list of clubs who have been to Anfield and not got humiliated 9-0. It doesn't fucking matter if you've not been able to sign a few players you might have wanted pal your team has just served up the shittest performance in our club's history, one that rivals the shittest performance in any club's history. That's on you you massive fucking dickhead!

Last edited:
We are a club that has to recruit for the future.....Parker doesn't see his future with us though........this is why he was never a good fit for us......we need a manager who can coach and motivate young players........not belittle them.

The thing with his interview to me he is basically saying there will be more hidings like this , this season .
To me I think he’s already giving up.

Our squad isn’t strong enough to stay up with year I don’t believe but, we need to someone to give us a fighting chance .

To grind out results from the championship he has proved with us and Fulham he can do it . I know it’s early into the season already I think we have to change .

I think a professional coach/manager/player needs to live in the now and give their all to the now. If they focus too much on the future, it won't work. It's all about the journey.

Yes, particularly in this era. Been debated to death over the years about some managers not playing youngsters more, instead hoarding and /or loaning them out.

Managers can be sacked within months. Not like 30 years ago, where you pretty much always had a minimum of 2 years as manager, even if you were cr4p and took a team down.

I sympathise with the view that this squad, and the signings made, need to be given a fair crack at the PL. Why are we looking to move Lowe, Dembele, maybe Anthony on without really knowing what they can do.
Because they have a bit of trickery and pace, and probably like to attack .
Parker likes his lone striker to be at least 40 metres away from another player.

The thing with his interview to me he is basically saying there will be more hidings like this , this season .
To me I think he’s already giving up.

Our squad isn’t strong enough to stay up with year I don’t believe but, we need to someone to give us a fighting chance .

To grind out results from the championship he has proved with us and Fulham he can do it . I know it’s early into the season already I think we have to change .

He's passing the buck. The squad IS good enough. Solanke, Cook, Billing, Lerma, Smith, Kelly, Travers are definitely good enough. Meps, Zemura, Anthony, Christie, Tavernier, Rothwell and Fredericks should be with the right training and encouragement. We definitely shouldn't be getting slaughtered the way we are. Parker needs to get the best out of them.

;