Recruitment war- Parker vs Demin

I sympathise with the view that this squad, and the signings made, need to be given a fair crack at the PL. Why are we looking to move Lowe, Dembele, maybe Anthony on without really knowing what they can do.

Yes, perhaps, although I wouldn;t have signed them personally, signing younger players with more potential, rather than what clearly appears to be players of limited future use imo... easy to say that of course sat here half naked behind a keyboard. Players that can grow with time, not a load of players in their mid late twenties who tend to already be at their peaks... baring the odd 'late bloomer'.

Regardless, concern is that the Parker and the board somehow had different expectations. Whether thats true at this point, isn;t clear to me.
I find it hard to believe personally, a multi million £ org isn't setup in that manner with clear structure in place to deal with strategies.
Of course, could be the possibility Parker indicated these players were long term signings, to get the board to sign them, and thought he'd be able to deal with it in ths summer if/when we went up. 'Sorry guv, these aren;t good enough/what I need, want to offload them and bring in fresh blood'. All hypothetical of course. If this was true I wouldn;t expect him to be in a job much longer, assuming he doesn;t pickup and results and even then...

From speculation it appears the board are happy to offload some of the recent signings, so does this suggest they are on the same page with the strategy or sighing and thinking, well may as well do this even though its not what was agreed/made clear last season?

Not saying its not true, but where is the evidence of this difference in outlook? Sounds more like a suggestion from what you'e posted.

If it isn;t true thats a concern. TBH Dembele, Lowe had heavy question marks over their ability to step up all along in my eyes. Thought that when we signed them. Good to very good Champ level players. But thought fair enough, seems like the plan is to sign players to make this seasons objectives, then bring in more quality if we go up.

Seemed a clear change in strategy... short term view approach, rather than building a PL ready squad last season... which we have a half decent core remaining from our previous PL campaign.

Bit concerning if that wasn;t clear to Blake/Hughes, Id have thought Demin would notice that, but if he;s not really into football as such, not totally unreasonable for him not to be aware. Thats why he employs Blake and Hughes though surely... trusted football people that work in his best interests, work out the strategy etc with the manager and relay that to Demin and his people to sign off/ensure happy with?
Evidence is in the tweet. Parker signed players to get us up, the board believed that they were longer term investments. If the board genuinely handed out long contracts to the likes of Lowe, Dembele, Marcondes et al in the expectation that they could contribute in the PL then they’re even more incompetent than even Neil makes out.

Evidence is in the tweet. Parker signed players to get us up, the board believed that they were longer term investments. If the board genuinely handed out long contracts to the likes of Lowe, Dembele, Marcondes et al in the expectation that they could contribute in the PL then they’re even more incompetent than even Neil makes out.

exactly, highlights a very concerning issue tbh if true.

struggling to get my head around believing it for a business like this, but a part of me really wouldn;t be surprised if it transpired to be the case.

I expect an issue we're currently facing is trying to 'haggle' over Dembele's and Lowes wage. From what I heard we offered them a fair amount more than what they were already paid and what most champ clubs would be able/willing to pay, in order to secure them, and undoubtably strengthen our squad, relative to what other clubs have at that level. So we have them on long deals, on whats probably an inflated wage of their true value.... even more so as I expect there was a % increase clause upon getting promoted.

So I suspect clubs interested want us to subsidize it to a certain extent. So board may be thinking we've just spent x amount on the fee (which we may get close to back), but effectively lose the signing on fee as obviously the player pockets that, then maybe have to pay another 5 or 10k a week of their contract at the new club, otherwise we';re stuck with players not good enough for the pl and parker doens;t really want to use v having a thin, substandard squad for this level, not being able to bring in better players as mediocre players are consuming the wage budget.

Guess we need to hope other clubs like Watford, are happy to take a similar approach or some semi mickey mouse league (like Turkey) where clubs are sometimes bank rolled by rich owners happy to pay over the odds to attract washed up or 2nd rate top flight 'elite' league players like we've mentioned.

Last edited:
He's passing the buck. The squad IS good enough. Solanke, Cook, Billing, Lerma, Smith, Kelly, Travers are definitely good enough. Meps, Zemura, Anthony, Christie, Tavernier, Rothwell and Fredericks should be with the right training and encouragement. We definitely shouldn't be getting slaughtered the way we are. Parker needs to get the best out of them.
Those players as a core are absolutely not good enough.

-Solanke is about prolific as Liverpool’s keeper at PL level
-Billing has been relegated twice in three PL seasons
-Cook has never really performed at this level
-We have been a poorer side ever since we signed Lerma, not good enough on the ball for a centre mid in the PL
-Smith is a good servant but needs quality around him
-Kelly is inexperienced at this level

Not a single other side at this level would have one of those in their starting eleven, bar perhaps Kelly at a push.

-We have been a poorer side ever since we signed Lerma, not good enough on the ball for a centre mid in the PL

Not a single other side at this level would have one of those in their starting eleven, bar perhaps Kelly at a push.

You are correct they are all either unproven or proven to be lacking at this level. I don’t think we will see any additions either.

Haha typical waz post, so what's your answer? Spend £150m on players like forest, of course if we had 11 plus Premier quality players then staying up wouldn't be an issue, plus they would want to be elsewhere, as per ake Wilson and danjuma

All of those players took part in a relegation from the PL and now Adam Smith for example is a couple of years older. Great engine but the body doesn't react as quickly as you are used to.

Haha typical waz post, so what's your answer? Spend £150m on players like forest, of course if we had 11 plus Premier quality players then staying up wouldn't be an issue, plus they would want to be elsewhere, as per ake Wilson and danjuma
My answer is to scout and sign 2-3 real quality additions to supplement what we have

What a mess if true.

Surely to God all this would have been discussed before pre season,Parker even said himself that they needed to sit down and discuss where we needed to strengthen.
Exactly. I'm not buying it however much it suits some posters on here.

That last comment is bizarre, Ake and Wilson played with us for many years. We had Danjuma for a while too. They didn’t want to be elsewhere until they we got relegated.

I'm getting fucking sick of Scott Parker. Look at the list of clubs who have been to Anfield and not got humiliated 9-0. It doesn't fucking matter if you've not been able to sign a few players you might have wanted pal your team has just served up the shittest performance in our club's history, one that rivals the shittest performance in any club's history. That's on you you massive fucking dickhead!
This. It is pathetic.

We aren't asking him to work miracles, nobody expected us to get anything out of the game today. But at the very least, be organised, have a plan and don't get humiliated. He took no responsibility for us getting embarrassed today.

Exactly. I'm not buying it however much it suits some posters on here.

yeah, need more evidence than the suggestion in a tweet we have above. could be some comments taken out of context and put together which paints a certain picture.

If the expectation is to yo-yo back to the Championship, some of the signings mentioned are perfect in "the long term".

This. It is pathetic.

We aren't asking him to work miracles, nobody expected us to get anything out of the game today. But at the very least, be organised, have a plan and don't get humiliated. He took no responsibility for us getting embarrassed today.

I agree . Our squad isn’t good and is in the bottom 3 to relegated. However make it hard for the opponents.
Seriously this 9-0 should have been way, way more . 13-14 would have been a fair reflection. No game in the elite league in England should this happen.
It was a massacre. They didn’t even need to get into 3rd gear and I believe with all the subs they totally eased off

;