Semenyo
Christie
Senesi
Zabarini
Kluivert
Kerkez
Ake?
Ramsdale?

There’s an awful lot of successful signings since the summer of 2014 when Hughes became a scout.

There’s also a lot of very good business when it comes to selling players as well.

IMG_7405.jpeg

Hard to argue that there’s some good sales there.

I know Neil always said Mousset was better than Solanke but to get an eight figure fee for him in the final year of his contract was inspired, amongst others.

Can’t be bothered with capitals but why not include
Solanke
Tavernier
Semenyo
Christie
Senesi
Zabarini
Kluivert
Kerkez
Ake?
Ramsdale?

Mainly because when you look at the bigger picture the argument becomes immaterial. Unless of course, you're driven for some reason to look for fault. I could understand at a failing club however we're anything but that at the moment.

Mainly because when you look at the bigger picture the argument becomes immaterial. Unless of course, you're driven for some reason to look for fault. I could understand at a failing club however we're anything but that at the moment.
It’s about long term sustainability. Everton had a right splurge and looked successful under Ancelotti but look where they got them. Expect similar for Forest and if governments don’t intervene Chelsea and Man City….

Yes we might firesale Solanke but we have to realise add on value for the ones we’ve signed and for every Traore, Dango, Adam’s etc we need to find too much value elsewhere. Time will tell how successful this period is….

It’s about long term sustainability. Everton had a right splurge and looked successful under Ancelotti but look where they got them. Expect similar for Forest and if governments don’t intervene Chelsea and Man City….

Yes we might firesale Solanke but we have to realise add on value for the ones we’ve signed and for every Traore, Dango, Adam’s etc we need to find too much value elsewhere. Time will tell how successful this period is….

Adams will prove to be a decent buy unless his injury's career threatening which I don't think it is. The Dango fee was a weird one, basically Bill shuffling money from his front pocket to his back pocket with the two club involvement. It may come back to haunt him who knows.

I don't think we've seen enough of Traore to make an informed decision, I thought he looked promising in the same way I think Faivre looked brilliant in the pre season friendly.

Solanke might be the get out of jail card if we're talking FFP but if he succeeded at this level he was always going to move on.

Neil as a reader I enjoy your contributions but why not let this one rest for now
Every club has its successes and failures in the transfer market - just sit back and see what happens

Yet the vast majority of our players listed above are worth more than we paid. So Traore might end up as a loss. It is so short-term to write off Adams - just like it was when you wrote off Solanke.

If you don't like the Dango fee you're going to have a rough ride with the sister club model. Foley had something to prove to the Lorient and also will have wanted to inject cash. It's not a regular transfer fee. You obviously know this but it doesn't stop you on your hunt for evidence in your quest to bash Hughes for no apparent reason.

Yet the vast majority of our players listed above are worth more than we paid. So Traore might end up as a loss. It is so short-term to write off Adams - just like it was when you wrote off Solanke.

If you don't like the Dango fee you're going to have a rough ride with the sister club model. Foley had something to prove to the Lorient and also will have wanted to inject cash. It's not a regular transfer fee. You obviously know this but it doesn't stop you on your hunt for evidence in your quest to bash Hughes for no apparent reason.
You are only worth more that paid for when it’s realised. I hope to be proven wrong on this but I think we’ve stretched ourselves and don’t have the up value in our current players we needed for the money spent.

You are only worth more that paid for when it’s realised. I hope to be proven wrong on this but I think we’ve stretched ourselves and don’t have the up value in our current players we needed for the money spent.

We have a squad of players flying up the league. What more do we need?

Out of interest why do you ignore it when people point out that you have a long history of slagging players off for the sake of it before they have a chance to settle or play and realise their potential? You slated Solanke for ages yet now it is clear he was a good signing. Again you seem determined to write off players without giving them a chance, why?

Also how come you ignore the point that Dango's transfer isn't like the others so the fee should be taken with a pinch of salt?

We have a squad of players flying up the league. What more do we need?

Out of interest why do you ignore it when people point out that you have a long history of slagging players off for the sake of it before they have a chance to settle or play and realise their potential? You slated Solanke for ages yet now it is clear he was a good signing. Again you seem determined to write off players without giving them a chance, why?

Also how come you ignore the point that Dango's transfer isn't like the others so the fee should be taken with a pinch of salt?
Because I can’t be arsed with selective choice of old arguments and it’s dull for everyone else as people keep reminding me and you. Solanke was not the player we needed when we signed him. We needed to stay up not develop someone and he wasn’t able to help us do this. A better use of that money could have kept us in the PL with Howe.

The problem with old arguments, which probably bored people at the time let alone now is they need to be in the context of the time they were had.

Unfortunately, being a small club we are not in the position of being able to sign the ready made off the shelf, finished article PL player. We have always gone down the development road where we bring on and develop potential. Solanke was one of these players. To bring in an experienced established PL player one will be looking at 80k a week wages and 40 million plus to sign them.

Because I can’t be arsed with selective choice of old arguments and it’s dull for everyone else as people keep reminding me and you. Solanke was not the player we needed when we signed him. We needed to stay up not develop someone and he wasn’t able to help us do this. A better use of that money could have kept us in the PL with Howe.

The problem with old arguments, which probably bored people at the time let alone now is they need to be in the context of the time they were had.

They do indeed need to be held in the context of time. So rather than rewriting history…

When Solanke signed we were 12th, 2 points behind 8th and 11 points clear of relegation.

Solanke was being signed as the young potential signing, lower down the pecking order behind Wilson and King. With Defoe about to leave and Mousset refusing to sign a contract and about to leave.

Solanke was Mousset’s replacement. I know you believed him to be an inadequate replacement. But I think he’s done ok at filling his boots.

People can skip if they are bored. They bore people with their whinging - such is life on a football forum.

So you think Solanke was a poor signing? We did have King and Wilson at the time so shouldn't have needed to rely on Solanke to keep us up. He fired us to promotion too.

Even if you're right and he was a poor signing at the time, we clearly have a squad that is able to survive and thrive without Adams and Traore as things stand. Unless Adams never gets fit, which is hopefully unlikely, we can afford to wait unlike when we signed Solanke (according to you). Clearly his injury recurrence was a set back and questions will need to be asked of the medical team, as opposed to Hughes himself, but if he takes as long as Solanke to realise his potential then that's not really a problem is it?

No response on Dango's fee?

People can skip if they are bored. They bore people with their whinging - such is life on a football forum.

So you think Solanke was a poor signing? We did have King and Wilson at the time so shouldn't have needed to rely on Solanke to keep us up. He fired us to promotion too.

Even if you're right and he was a poor signing at the time, we clearly have a squad that is able to survive and thrive without Adams and Traore as things stand. Unless Adams never gets fit, which is hopefully unlikely, we can afford to wait unlike when we signed Solanke (according to you). Clearly his injury recurrence was a set back and questions will need to be asked of the medical team, as opposed to Hughes himself, but if he takes as long as Solanke to realise his potential then that's not really a problem is it?

Maybe that's why hughes/blake/demin wanted to relinquish howes hands on responsibilities... poor transfer record in years building up to relegation. Particularly strikers. Although interestingly that dies contradict Neil's theory that Howe signings were exceptional and Hughes much less so, doesn't it ;)

Perhaps we could have struck gold with other strikers instead of solanke, but its a stretch... given market we were operating in and our stature/status. Murray abd defoe hardly worked put did they... at least solanke has/had load of potential and not past his best... like those 2 were.

I’m not sure your point on the Dango fee thing to be honest. It might be ignorance on my part on the rules though. Are you saying that if you sign from a club where your owner has a strong interest (he doesn’t own it like us) then it doesn’t appear on our balance sheet? Genuine question.

I’m not sure your point on the Dango fee thing to be honest. It might be ignorance on my part on the rules though. Are you saying that if you sign from a club where your owner has a strong interest (he doesn’t own it like us) then it doesn’t appear on our balance sheet? Genuine question.

It's possible there's ways deals can be structured if yku have involvement with that club.

Coukd set it up in ways that are more favourable, compared to signing players from clubs with no affiliation.

I think he wasn’t the player we needed at the time with the sporadic form of King and Mousset and the injury record of Wilson. Maybe bring in a raw striker for 5m but the use of 20m not for me.

That was the context of then. Would we have taken staying up over the subsequent development of Solanke? Hypothetically yes.

Don’t take this off into a tangent of whether he is a good player now though I’ve argued with people that’s doubted him many times over the last few years. He is our most important player.

The deal was pretty much done at the same time as Foley’s investment. It hypothetically a way to inject cash into Lorient, in a way that wasn’t detrimental to their accounts. It wasn’t a shareholder loan etc.

;