Richard Hughes

Has he gone yet?

We need facts, not speculation.

Even Old Bill speculates without facts. He mentioned we were signing the young Ecuadorian lad.

Another Cherry Milk Stout Bill?.....put it on Richard's tab.

If you read the athletic, it is interesting that you sense that quite a few of our signings have been long term targets. That is reassuring. Despite that, we have not rushed in with big offers up front, but had a tactical plan. Final deal for Tav, as an example, was great work imho

Liverpool could wait before making another appointment in that role.

If Xabi Alonso is Jurgen Klopp’s replacement, he may well want to bring his own Sporting Director according to this.

And what if it was to line up the right man to replace him? Perhaps the man with the Liverpool background who is taking the Bundesliga - Thomas Tuchel, Harry Kane, Eric Dier and all - by storm this season and has, by the way, a very impressive sporting director in Simon Rolfes in his corner who could be open to making the big move with him.

If you read the athletic, it is interesting that you sense that quite a few of our signings have been long term targets. That is reassuring. Despite that, we have not rushed in with big offers up front, but had a tactical plan. Final deal for Tav, as an example, was great work imho

It would be interesting if someone had the will or the inclination to compile a list of signings and sales over the Hughes period.

Show the overall spend etc, appearances/goals/assists/impact of each signing and put some real meat on the bones.

There’s always going to be a dud signing here and there. But if it’s what 70/30 good v bad, then that sounds like a decent record?

It would be interesting if someone had the will or the inclination to compile a list of signings and sales over the Hughes period.

Show the overall spend etc, appearances/goals/assists/impact of each signing and put some real meat on the bones.

There’s always going to be a dud signing here and there. But if it’s what 70/30 good v bad, then that sounds like a decent record?
The problem is working out who was behind the signings in the Howe era. Hughes and Blake wanted more power and to be in control of the signings and have a manager as a coach and have achieved that model post Eddie. Pre Eddie it’s a little more confusing

I’m sure they had some involvement but for example we know that we signed King because Eddie watched him at Utd reserves when at Burnley, Stanislas and Gradel he’d managed before, Defoe he’d played with, Ake he said he’d signed because of his performances against us and I’d have thought Distin and Murray weren’t scouted.

We know Hughes found Iturbe as he spoke about it and can assume he probably found Lerma, Mousset and Rico.

Basically prior to Parker I’m not sure how you’d be able to measure this.

He has overseen signings like Nathan Ake, Callum Wilson, Dominic Solanke, Tyrone Mings and Lloyd Kelly throughout his time on the south coast and is highly regarded in recruitment circles.

Moreover, Hughes was instrumental in the hiring of manager Andoni Iraola as replacement for Gary O’Neil last summer with owner Bill Foley disclosing his role in the process to the Men In Blazers podcast.

The problem is working out who was behind the signings in the Howe era. Hughes and Blake wanted more power and to be in control of the signings and have a manager as a coach and have achieved that model post Eddie. Pre Eddie it’s a little more confusing

I’m sure they had some involvement but for example we know that we signed King because Eddie watched him at Utd reserves when at Burnley, Stanislas and Gradel he’d managed before, Defoe he’d played with, Ake he said he’d signed because of his performances against us and I’d have thought Distin and Murray weren’t scouted.

We know Hughes found Iturbe as he spoke about it and can assume he probably found Lerma, Mousset and Rico.

Brilliant. Not quite as selective/biased as Lee Bradbury’s post match interview after Sheff Wed away, but not too far off!

So basically they did nothing before Eddie left.

I'd imagine Hughes and Howe made decisions together.

Expect they were very much on the same page with kind of style of football, types of attributes etc needed to take us forward.

Otherwise why would we bother employing Hughes and paying him all thst money. I doubt even 'jobs fir the boys' would bypass Max and his associates attention for years on end if, on generous wage if he wasn't offering decent value in return.

To muddy the waters even more didn't Eddie see Jefferson on his travels watching other teams training . I think I have read about that but can't find it.

I'd imagine Hughes and Howe made decisions together.

Expect they were very much on the same page with kind of style of football, types of attributes etc needed to take us forward.

Otherwise why would we bother employing Hughes and paying him all thst money. I doubt even 'jobs fir the boys' would bypass Max and his associates attention for years on end if, on generous wage if he wasn't offering decent value in return.
Agree. The point I was making was there’s no point in including that era. Our best ever player Ake and our all time PL scorer in one season were both directly spotted and sourced by Eddie so any insinuation this was part of Hughes ‘talent’ is just plain wrong.

Agree. The point I was making was there’s no point in including that era. Our best ever player Ake and our all time PL scorer in one season were both directly spotted and sourced by Eddie so any insinuation this was part of Hughes ‘talent’ is just plain wrong.
why stop at King and ake? howe wanted ibe, mahoney, hyndman and Brad Smith I have no absolute proof of this but the same as you have, the signings in PL with howe here wasn't always great there was alot of duds in there

meanwhile, at casa dawson

1706380311392.png

;