Riverside Rocket(S)

What a strange question, as many as they can fill, match by match. Would you ask how many coaches are needed for regulation fans? Why should it be rationed for disabled people?
That was my initial thought, but didn't want to get into two arguments with our resident argument master.

I know there's people in the club trying their hardest to get it resolved but they don't have much decision making clout.

All I would say, can we all be civilised when dealing with people at the club. We all listen to the message more if someone's talking rather than shouting : )

Reference the points above (I've already spoke with table and Rob about it)

This is the frustrating thing. As table says there are long term staff there who clearly care but who's remit can only go so far.

It's obvious changes are happening behind the scenes as this big commercial juggernaut of US ownership starts rolling in relation to off field activities.

I have no idea of the cost of a second van but for a club in this position the cost can't be insurmountable in the big scheme of things.

For me a decent point of contact is Liz Finney who has politely replied to my 'representations' over the issue and has done for years over all sorts of things . As table says be civilised, perhaps provide your supporter number so there's a real person behind the e mail. Please remember that Liz can only pass the message on.

What a strange question, as many as they can fill, match by match. Would you ask how many coaches are needed for regulation fans? Why should it be rationed for disabled people?
I hope I have given an answer to the question. But 'acceptable' to who?

If AFCB said they were only running one coach to away games from now I think non-disabled fans might be upset.

It’s incredible really how decisions like this get made. It’s like there are two worlds, one where everyone flies business class at huge expense and players and agents get multi million cheques just for doing a deal.

And another one where someone looks at a 600 quid less contribution from travellers ( guessing from having booked an accessible minibus for a work trip to gee gees) cost and thinks…..‘oof not sure we can stretch to that’.

Chelsea have just stopped subsidised coach travel as well but haven’t discriminated like we have, just took it off everyone. Another PR disaster decision where you think why?

It was like the above inflation increase for ambulant disabled at the start of the season. People who often struggle to land a job. Another one where Del said they shouldn’t be treated different to others and should pay up.

The altar of profit seems to weirdly be relevant in one world but not another. Really sad. Like others have said, without pestering Jim happy to do anything you need so just ask or let us know on here.

Well one is always full, and since the second one became 'a thing' the take up has been good. Its encouraged fans who cannot get to games to maybe try it out.

Of course there are some coach companies which have wheelchair spaces on their standard coaches. This was something I pushed for a few years ago. Bluebird does not have any.

I also understand why some wheelchair users may not be comfortable travelling on a standard coach. Feeling we are holding people up; requiring extra stops etc. Different needs from different people.

I accept that due to costs the minibuses are less attractive to run, as if your question had been about the Bluebirds, well the answer would probably have been as many as away travellers want them. I accept that disabled people dont have that sway.

I also feel that the cost is a drop in the ocean to clubs.

If they decide to only run one then its tough really.

My question stems from the theoretical discussion you and I had regarding what we expected to be provided. As I said at the time my opinion with this as well as all other aspects of life is that disabled people should be afforded the same opportunities as everyone else and that lack of profitability is not an acceptable excuse to not provide these things.

Going back a few years there were a number of clubs, including ours I believe, who tried to get out of providing enough raised wheelchair spaces because they said their stadiums weren't suitable (in reality they didn't fancy spending the money). There was a big campaign and lo and behold Watford, AFCB etc. found the money andade the changes.

In this case I'm not sure what the regular provision is. It seems to be shite compared to the old days. How many coaches do bluebird put on? Whenever I've enquired they've been sold out with no prospect of any more. You see more away coaches at DC every game and we've got a tiny away end.

Shoddy provision all round.

I hope I have given an answer to the question. But 'acceptable' to who?

If AFCB said they were only running one coach to away games from now I think non-disabled fans might be upset.

Acceptable to fans. There isn't going to be unlimited provision so what are people asking for?

For years, Stoke City have provided free away transport for all their fans. I imagine our annual turnover is at least five times bigger than theirs.

If they can do it...surely AFCB, rolling in their Premier League millions, could help subsidise a couple of minibuses ?

Just for the heck of it, can anyone pin a number on the cost of 1 Rocket going to a match in London (is that home to 8 of the current PL?). I figure there's driver, petrol, vehicle wear and tear, insurance. Tolls? I'm going to guess around 3000 pounds? Obviously more to go to Manc, Liverpool, Newcastle, offset by Brighton and Southampton :)ooops:)

Even at 5000 pounds x 19 games, it is really a rounding error for the Club.

Just for the heck of it, can anyone pin a number on the cost of 1 Rocket going to a match in London (is that home to 8 of the current PL?). I figure there's driver, petrol, vehicle wear and tear, insurance. Tolls? I'm going to guess around 3000 pounds? Obviously more to go to Manc, Liverpool, Newcastle, offset by Brighton and Southampton :)ooops:)

Even at 5000 pounds x 19 games, it is really a rounding error for the Club.
I’d be amazed if it’s that much. I got a great deal if so for a shorter distance trip with an accessible minibus. Around 600 quid. Petrol two drivers. So you are looking at a bit for a more expensive vehicle and an extra person in the cab.

I’d be amazed if it’s that much. I got a great deal if so for a shorter distance trip with an accessible minibus. Around 600 quid. Petrol two drivers. So you are looking at a bit for a more expensive vehicle and an extra person in the cab.
Well, us North Americans love to put a value on things for negotiating purposes. So a number would be handy.
> The drivers' fees can be identified, I'm sure.
> Petrol is an algorithm based on distance.
> Wear and tear can be hard to determine. The Canada Revenue Agency stipulates that for business expenses I can write off $0.68/km., so about $1.00/mile. Obviously that is not a measure for over there, but something that can be estimated.
> Maybe a little profit for Riverside.

250 mi. round trip to London, 500 mi round trip to Manchester ..........

Upon a second look, have to agree with Neil that it is far less than the figure I proposed. Which makes the total cost for the Club even less significant.

Just had an update from the Ticket Office, The Riverside Rocket(s) are running to Everton and beyond, to the end of the season : )
They did say something about it being reviewed at the end of the season ( I think) but I couldn't hear properly with all the carnival music and fireworks going off in my head : )

Once again, thanks for all the kind words and support we received over this, I'm never really sure how much notice people take of the Rockets but it's heart warming to see people see us : )

It also brought home to me how much the club means to myself and the Good Lady. It's a great feeling to feel included, especially with our club and it's great band of supporters : )

Just had an update from the Ticket Office, The Riverside Rocket(s) are running to Everton and beyond, to the end of the season : )
They did say something about it being reviewed at the end of the season ( I think) but I couldn't hear properly with all the carnival music and fireworks going off in my head : )

Once again, thanks for all the kind words and support we received over this, I'm never really sure how much notice people take of the Rockets but it's heart warming to see people see us : )

It also brought home to me how much the club means to myself and the Good Lady. It's a great feeling to feel included, especially with our club and it's great band of supporters : )

Great news! Did the club just relent or did they drive a hard bargain? I'm imagining a deal where your shirts for this season will be covered in sponsorship like an F1 driver or the good lady replacing divots at half time?

;