Romain Faivre

That would indicate that we are. either, still looking at a replacement for Jeff or the new boss is happy with what we have.

Jeff, Zemura and Stacey replacements were what I was thinking. Would have been interesting if we did come in for Jeff, but we must have other plans.

Lewis Cook cannot be starting games. Atm our midfield will be Cook and Rothwell or maybe Billing if he drops deeper.

We NEED a midfielder, the only other player I’ve seen us link with in midfield is Zakaria and he’s apparently now off to West Ham. Makes you wonder if we know what our priorities are. We need preferably 2 LBs, a RB, 2 midfielders and probably a striker.

We don’t need any more wingers Bill!

He's has a non controlling shareholding at Lorient. He doesn't own the club but obviously we have closer ties.

Both clubs need to work within FFP and perhaps Lorient couldn't afford to buy or the player likes the idea of having guaranteed French football with the option of stepping up to the Premier League next season.

Lots of reasons why this deal could make sense.

Also makes the negotiations to buy a Belgian club that much easier, especially if beginning with the acquisition of a minority stake.

Let's assume 15m over 5 years, under FFP amortisation that's 3m per year.

If Lorient can pay us 3m or at least something towards that, this whole thing can be limited in terms of FFP impact on us for a while.

Then they get another year from a player they probably didnt expect to get. Eventually we'll have a chance to bring the guy in ourselves. He's an asset on the books.

It is weird, but I suspect there's folks on either side of the Channel who have thought this through.

All that said - this should not be some of our first business of the summer! If we'd already gotten full backs and midfielders in, were ready to go this season, and then had a bit of spare capacity for multi club structure shenanigans... then ok.

Let's assume 15m over 5 years, under FFP amortisation that's 3m per year.

If Lorient can pay us 3m or at least something towards that, this whole thing can be limited in terms of FFP impact on us for a while.

Then they get another year from a player they probably didnt expect to get. Eventually we'll have a chance to bring the guy in ourselves. He's an asset on the books.

It is weird, but I suspect there's folks on either side of the Channel who have thought this through.

All that said - this should not be some of our first business of the summer! If we'd already gotten full backs and midfielders in, were ready to go this season, and then had a bit of spare capacity for multi club structure shenanigans... then ok.

Traore and Kluivert are our first business of the summer. You can think of this like Lorient's first transfer of the summer if it helps.

I don't think we get to dictate which deals are done and when. If our ambition is more than just survival in the Premier League it's going to require a fair amount of brinksmanship to get quality players at the right price.

As always judge a window at the end rather than the beginning.

Think Brighton have done a similar type deal recently with the player joining them in 2024 after a season on loan at a foreign club.

Load of nonsense so far pre-season regarding transfers.
Only rarely has the loan system benefitted this club... much of it is crap to impress fans... but the sceptics among us will just metaphorically stand with arms folded and wry smiles...and then head for the keyboard and whup our dirt into the threads ! Manna.

The Reality of Boscombe Football - this amazing phenomenon that crashed into the League system in 1923..…is always about the Now and the Next game. That's the Safe and Sensible.

When you open a packet of crisps you don't wanna be transferring them into another bag instead of your mouth ....they will probably get stale and limp.

If you've identified a player as an asset ..you sign him and play him...the fans want to see what he can do for Boscombe....not read online somewhere that sad fruitcakes at Fleetwood or Millwall are going nuts with delight at his performances on a day where we've been pancaked in Manchester !

Scoring goals and a few assists towards the end of season.

I don’t understand this at all. Why buy someone if you don’t intend to play him for 12 months? Very strange, or perhaps I’m just too old to understand this new football.

Euan Pollock in our youth setup joined aged 9, he's now 20 and not got a single cap.
Ramsdale was on the books for 3 years on loan and about 22 before his first AFCB cap.

From AFCB's perspective I suspect it boils down to a 23 year old with 6 months experience in the French top division for £13M or a 24 year old with 18 months experience for (hypothetically) £10M.
From Lorient's perspective it's the opportunity to extend an extremely successful loan for another season.

Seems straightforward to me unless I'm missing something?

;