Saudi League

SSN

Paris Saint-Germain have accepted Al Hilal's world-record £259m bid to sign Kylian Mbappe.

The French champions have given the Saudi club permission to speak to Mbappe after putting him up for sale and leaving him out of their squad for their pre-season tour having made it clear they only want to include players who are committed to the club.

Last edited:

Analysis: Will Mbappe be convinced to move to Saudi Arabia?​

Sky Sports News chief reporter Kaveh Solhekol:

"It's all well and good the club giving Al Hilal permission to speak to Kylian Mbappe - but does Mbappe want to speak to Al Hilal? So far there has been no indication Mbappe is interested in moving to Saudi Arabia at this stage of his career.

"A lot of people are saying, 'he only wants to go to Real Madrid, Al Hilal and all these other clubs are wasting their time'. But these Saudis, the sovereign wealth fund and PIF are the same people who have effectively just bought golf. They just bought a whole sport, pretty much.

"They're the same people who offered Tiger Woods $700m to sign up with the LIV Golf tour. If they can afford to spend $700m on Tiger Woods, who is past his best and approaching the end of his career, why wouldn't they throw enormous sums at Kylian Mbappe, who a lot of people would say is the best player in the world at the moment.

"There are some incredible numbers flying around. Some US outlets are reporting that Al Hilal are offering Mbappe something like €700m for one season and saying he can then go and move to Real Madrid. That is not something I've seen. All I know for sure, is this offer was made from Al Hilal to PSG on Saturday for €300m."

I'm not sure of the end game for Saudi here, they'll never recoup this sort of outlay
They don’t care, that’s what makes this so worrying. They have more money than they know what to do with and just want the prestige of owning the best sports stars on the planet. Give it a couple of years and they will be the major league in world football.

They don’t care, that’s what makes this so worrying. They have more money than they know what to do with and just want the prestige of owning the best sports stars on the planet. Give it a couple of years and they will be the major league in world football.

Why is that a problem?

Maybe they have more money than sense, but ultimately who wants to watch it?
Players will make a killing in 1 or 2 seasons and will leave like in China.
The prestige of playing for Real Madrid, Barcelona and some of our clubs will still attract top players.
Mbappe might go for one season but what then.

Maybe they have more money than sense, but ultimately who wants to watch it?
Players will make a killing in 1 or 2 seasons and will leave like in China.
The prestige of playing for Real Madrid, Barcelona and some of our clubs will still attract top players.
Mbappe might go for one season but what then.
This is nothing like China, they have literally just bought golf, the entire sport of golf. These people can buy anything they want to. The amount of money they are offering will always top prestige. I’d imagine global audiences will want to watch it when everyone of their big teams is packed full of superstars.

This is nothing like China, they have literally just bought golf, the entire sport of golf. These people can buy anything they want to. The amount of money they are offering will always top prestige. I’d imagine global audiences will want to watch it when everyone of their big teams is packed full of superstars.
Global audiences might but I really doubt it would make much of a difference to people watching football here.

...or they'll have a hodgepodge league with 12 non-league sides and 4 populated with the biggest name over the hill players willing to take the sultan's shilling.

A recipe for making the football a complete mess until they start defaulting on wages and become a place too toxic for even final payday players to risk going.

Can’t see him going for more than one season tbh. Playing at a lower level could potential affect is national team call ups and his growth as a player. I know he’s prob the best out there atm but playing at a much lower level can def have a negative impact on his game

;