Scott Hogan

I live in Nottingham with all my in laws being Forest fans. Grabban May have got 20 this season but 7or 8 of them must have been pens. Also, he still misses sitters match after match so no change there
Grabban was always poor one-on-one with keepers and easy chances in general with us (pens aside). Always had something in his locker, but also very frustrating! Which is why replacing him with early Callum was so refreshing, having someone who gobbled up one-on-ones finally.

Hmmmmm I was initially not so against this but after chatting to a couple of friends (Birmingham and Villa supporters respectively) the general consensus seems to be, ‘invisible the majority of the time’ and ‘the type of signing you’d make out of desperation, not out of ambition.’....

I can't recall which pundit it was, but that's pretty much what they were saying and it does make sense. Some players need to be the biggest fish, look at Zaha at Palace. Got to say, I was never that bothered by Grealish until I saw him at our place this season, was so far ahead the rest of your team on the day it was unreal. Looked to make something happen every time he got on the ball.

Regarding your Wilson question - I still really like him but his levels did drop noticeably this season, something just wasn't quite right with him. He'll move on I'm sure as he's got goals in the prem before, someone will take him on. I'll be sadder to see King leave to be honest, on his day he can be unplayable.

A few on our site turning their nose up at Wilson but at 28 he is the experience we need, i think fans view players differently when the team is struggling and look to blame the better players, the stick Grealish had after the lockdown was unreal. So Wilson might be the same. It was an awful season. I'd swap Wilson for Wesley anytime never mind Scott bloody Hogan.

People look at Stats with Jack Goals, assists (whatever they are). You can't measure taking 3 opposition players out of the game as soon as he gets the ball and he glides past people as if they aren't there, the more they boo him and kick him the more it winds him up to play better . I think he actually missed being booed every time he gets the ball away from home, He just grins gets up and goes again.

One of those players everyone hates but wish they had him.

So King is the man not Wison, interesting

IsNt he an attacking mid that villa got off the back of one good season and he was useless for them ? I’d like to see a solanke and surridge Front line tbh.

A few on our site turning their nose up at Wilson but at 28 he is the experience we need, i think fans view players differently when the team is struggling and look to blame the better players, the stick Grealish had after the lockdown was unreal. So Wilson might be the same. It was an awful season. I'd swap Wilson for Wesley anytime never mind Scott bloody Hogan.

People look at Stats with Jack Goals, assists (whatever they are). You can't measure taking 3 opposition players out of the game as soon as he gets the ball and he glides past people as if they aren't there, the more they boo him and kick him the more it winds him up to play better . I think he actually missed being booed every time he gets the ball away from home, He just grins gets up and goes again.

One of those players everyone hates but wish they had him.

So King is the man not Wison, interesting
Unless my maths is wrong, Wilson has a slightly better goals to games ratio, but spent every match played as the main man up top. King often played behind Wilson or left wing. If you'd seen our match against Everton, where he played left wing, you'd have seen him at his best, was superb. Granted, Wilson has come back from two major injuries so we'll never know how far he could've gone without these. King just offers more all round in my opinion. But yes, I'd have either over Wesley from what I've seen!

Granted, Wilson has come back from two major injuries so we'll never know how far he could've gone without these.
The thing is, these operations that he had were several years ago now. His knees are almost certainly stronger than they were in the past. I honestly don’t think he’s lost anything physically. It’s just post injury Callum now plays against PL defenders while the pre-injury Callum we remember played against Championship defenders!

Also Callum’s problems seem to be more technical ie taking so many air shots and losing his ability to control the ball. The season prior he didn’t have that so I’m not sure we can use injuries as an excuse.

Definitely a striker and yes he's useless better trying to keep what you have

Hope you enjoy this season and I must say grealish is a special talent and a joy to watch. I’ve noticed he works hard too for the team which doesn’t get mentioned much and he seems to have matured as a player.

Unless my maths is wrong, Wilson has a slightly better goals to games ratio, but spent every match played as the main man up top. King often played behind Wilson or left wing. If you'd seen our match against Everton, where he played left wing, you'd have seen him at his best, was superb. Granted, Wilson has come back from two major injuries so we'll never know how far he could've gone without these. King just offers more all round in my opinion. But yes, I'd have either over Wesley from what I've seen!

Haha Yes, of course, I saw your match against Everton, well the highlights, knew you win that as you have been unlucky with results in Lockdown but performances were improving as were ours, I went for walk during the last game I was in such a state came back and switched my phone on at 6pm to find we were safe. Why do we do it?
I think Man United were linked with King in January, so he must be decent. I hadn't really watched the PL while we were in the Championship.
Wesley is right up there with Haller and Joelinton in the useless stakes but at least he wasn't 40m.
Having a few debates about strikers on our site. Every club wants a new one it seems

Hope you enjoy this season and I must say grealish is a special talent and a joy to watch. I’ve noticed he works hard too for the team which doesn’t get mentioned much and he seems to have matured as a player.

Yes as a player he's the best footballer I've ever seen, just wish he lived like James Milner. Jack loves Villa, works his nuts off, his biggest problem is he wants to win so badly he's often playing left-back or defensive midfield. That's why I don't think he'll move, it's like asking me to support Man Utd just won't happen

king imo is a superior player in every department and would actually be very good for a team like villa ( if grealish stays )

Absolutely no chance is he superior in every department. Despite playing as a wide attacker or as a number 10, he’d never claim 9 assists like Wilson did last season. He’d have to actually look up once in a while and have a sense of where his team mates are to do that.

In one on one situations, with them both at their best Wilson is also far more clinical than King.

This isn’t rubbishing King, who when he wants to be, can be a world beater, it’s a shame he doesn’t always want to be that player. But he can be. He just has weaknesses like any player.

King is devastating running at players, carrying the ball up the pitch on counter attacks and is excellent with the ball at his feet.

We’ve been blessed to have both of them on the pitch at the same time. We won’t see the like again I’d imagine.

Are you annoyed at how bad you've fallen over the years? First year I remember as a kid you came 2nd under Big Ron and had Yorke, Saunders, Atkinson, Teale etc and now you're celebrating wildly coming above Bournemouth to avoid relegation, a point you shouldn't have had to survive. You are a big club, won the European Cup and I do like Villa Park it's one of the last proper old school steep stadiums but the decline since O'Neil left must be depressing.

You might get Wilson for next season because he has been awful for the last year or so, he might come good with another club but I believe Eddie's loyalty to him is one of the reasons we went down. No disrespect to Villa but unless you've got signicant money to spend, King will be going to a top half team premier league team, the likes of Everton have been mentioned because he does everthing better than Wilson.

The thing is, these operations that he had were several years ago now. His knees are almost certainly stronger than they were in the past. I honestly don’t think he’s lost anything physically. It’s just post injury Callum now plays against PL defenders while the pre-injury Callum we remember played against Championship defenders!

Also Callum’s problems seem to be more technical ie taking so many air shots and losing his ability to control the ball. The season prior he didn’t have that so I’m not sure we can use injuries as an excuse.
Dunno. You may be right but I thought Wilson got off to an amazing start once we were playing that first premier league season, showing he could take on and run past quick defenders And score for fun. I forget the stats but it’s think he scored 5 or 6 in as many games. Then came the awful cruciate injuries. Looking back thru’ rose tinted glasses perhaps, I think he never quite got that ability back, in spite of the good ish record in 2018/19with the unmentionable link up partner. Maybe he lost a bit of pace or was stiffer.

]Are you annoyed at how bad you've fallen over the years? First year I remember as a kid you came 2nd under Big Ron and had Yorke, Saunders, Atkinson, Teale etc and now you're celebrating wildly coming above Bournemouth to avoid relegation, a point you shouldn't have had to survive. You are a big club, won the European Cup and I do like Villa Park it's one of the last proper old school steep stadiums but the decline since O'Neil left must be depressing.[/QUOTE

Villan 57 said
I've watched Villa for nearly 53 seasons, seen us win everything bar the FA cup
The rise from Div3 to champions of Europe was unbelievable. Bit of a mixed bag since then, with some good spells under Graham Taylor and Brian Little Big fat Ron and John Gregory. O'Neill, I hate with a passion, horrible little egotistical man who nearly bankrupted the club with his spend and big wages then walked away 5 days before a season.

We've never recovered but hopefully, these owners who are the 3rd or 4th wealthiest in England and not dodgy will get us back there.
Having a Villa coaching staff that "get it" will help, By getting it I mean they know the expectations of the fans, the size of the club, it's history etc. Being overtaken by the likes of Man City and Chelsea is hard to take
I think we've dropped from the Second most successful English club of all time to 5th now and most of that has happened in the last 20 odd years. Mainly down to Fergie at United and the dirty money of Chelsea and Man City.
FFP means we can't just go out and buy 10 x 50m players, the elite have really stiched it up between them

;