Short memory

Southampton remind me of that shabby uncle you only see at Christmas who tends to fall asleep in a chair, usually with his flies undone. When he does wake up he then launches into a series of long winded anecdotes about how much better things were in the seventies and eighties and how unfair the world is now.

Historically Pompey are the Kings of the South Coast with Two FaCups and Two Div One Titles...always remind Saints fans to keep em grounded!
Nice if we could win the FACup and pull that up alongside Saints record.

...we still going on about this....??

As stated Portsmouth are historically bigger than Southampton and we are not (yet) able to put any trophies on the table to rival either team tbh...

...yes our neighbours helped us out in the past and we should be grateful for that at a time when we needed help.

at the end of the day we are all football clubs doing the very best for our fans?

..and next week I hope we stuff them as I would any team coming to Dean Court...it is only The Local Radio thing I don't like when guys like Merrington bleat on as if Saints were a top six club!!

Southampton remind me of that shabby uncle you only see at Christmas who tends to fall asleep in a chair, usually with his flies undone. When he does wake up he then launches into a series of long winded anecdotes about how much better things were in the seventies and eighties and how unfair the world is now.

Well don't invite me next Christmas then.

...we still going on about this....??

As stated Portsmouth are historically bigger than Southampton and we are not (yet) able to put any trophies on the table to rival either team tbh...

...yes our neighbours helped us out in the past and we should be grateful for that at a time when we needed help.

at the end of the day we are all football clubs doing the very best for our fans?

..and next week I hope we stuff them as I would any team coming to Dean Court...it is only The Local Radio thing I don't like when guys like Merrington bleat on as if Saints were a top six club!!

Wholly agreed. I once texted into Solent to make a polite observation about the balance of coverage between Cherries and Saints, only to be called an "idiot" on air by Merrington. Blinkered moron.

Harsh I think, mistakes were made but that run to relegation was stunning, came so close to staying up

Two quick points.

1. I recall John Bond's son standing still on the touchline at Swansea with his arms folded, seemingly happy to accept the 1-0 loss that he had already given excuses for the previous day on Silent and in the Ohec. Those who were there will never forget the two late goals and a famous against-the-odds win. But the team did that despite the motionless and emotionless man on the touchline.

2. After I criticised Ben Tarry's bag carrier in the Ohec, I was contacted by the newspaper editorial staff, I was given Bond Jnr's mobile number and invited to call him. I did. For half an hour, I pressed him to explain what his tactics were and asked if he actually had any. To cut a long story short, I received no sensible answer. I asked him specifically why we didn't have a single attack until we were 3-0 down at Tranmere. He didn't even seem to recall the match!

Hence, I maintain that we were managerless during that period.

Sure, those were difficult times off the pitch and there were good things that happened during that time that were positive, including a too-little-too-late string of wins that gave us some hope.

After Bond departed, we had Jimmy Quinn in charge. So perhaps Bond The Younger's time at the club - doing whatever he did - might be rehabilitated and viewed in history as, in comparison, not so bad after all.

I rate that period as being on the same abyssmal level with the very worst times that I have seen following the team and that includes when Benson was in charge.

Last edited:
Definitely harsh on Bond that. We were skint and could only afford rookie managers and, low and behold, most of them made rookie mistakes. Bond is searingly honest about his mistakes but he worked his backside off for the team according to the players. Ask the players what they thought of Quinn, Groves and Brooks and they'd say they were chalk and cheese.

I'd have Bond and Bradbury as honest but limited managers who did their best. I'd have Quinn and Groves as wastes of space.

Definitely harsh on Bond that. We were skint and could only afford rookie managers and, low and behold, most of them made rookie mistakes. Bond is searingly honest about his mistakes but he worked his backside off for the team according to the players. Ask the players what they thought of Quinn, Groves and Brooks and they'd say they were chalk and cheese.

I'd have Bond and Bradbury as honest but limited managers who did their best. I'd have Quinn and Groves as wastes of space.

We were skint, evidently as administration followed.

But he was still backed with player signings, relatively expensive ones to eg Jo Kuffour.

I seem to remember Bond being brave (or having little choice) in blooding Pitman and Vokes into the side after Hayter left to join SoD at Doncaster.

It was Vokes' sale that got the club through administration, and it was Pitman who fired us up 3 divisions!

Deserves at least some credit there (as does Joe Roach, of course).

I seem to remember Bond being brave (or having little choice) in blooding Pitman and Vokes into the side after Hayter left to join SoD at Doncaster.

It was Vokes' sale that got the club through administration, and it was Pitman who fired us up 3 divisions!

Deserves at least some credit there (as does Joe Roach, of course).

Managed us during some really difficult times off the pitch.

My only real problem with him was his ability to blame the players for defeats, naming names in the Echo, and taking credit for victories.

Perfect title for this thread .
To be honest I can barely remember the SOD years ,Bond ,Quinn...remember Groves a little better but more for Mitchell’s antics ,it’s all getting a little hazy with the years ,or maybe it was just plain sh*t . strangely I remember Webb ,,Redknapp and Pulis years. better .

The after Eddie years have dulled everything that came before I guess .

Perfect title for this thread .
To be honest I can barely remember the SOD years ,Bond ,Quinn...remember Groves a little better but more for Mitchell’s antics ,it’s all getting a little hazy with the years ,or maybe it was just plain sh*t . strangely I remember Webb ,,Redknapp and Pulis years. better .

The after Eddie years have dulled everything that came before I guess .

All the SoD years definitely merge into one mush by now. A mush of frustration at having good individual young players, often used too idealistically (all those sides full of midgets, crapping themselves at every corner), with a couple of said players being sold each summer.

;