Short memory

F##cking Weymouth ! Dressing up as Burnley. Trying so hard to be our Rivals........need to put these Dorset Hobgoblins down at the first opportunity before they start putting Us, Saints, Peeompey and Brighton on Toast in an Eastward moving Offensive......under Field Marshall Mark Molesley!.....and you know where he learnt the ropes!
Oi, leave Weymouth out of this!

Largely down to local media bias - "South Toady" have spent years sucking up to S*********n and Reading (Reading!! not even proper Southerners - North of the M4). irrespective of whether we were playing well.
Example - the week before the play off final in Cardiff, S*********n lost the FA Cup final to Arsenal - an absolutely dismal game - yet the night before the Play Off final, the lead item on the sports news on South Toady was still droning on about the cup final.

Oh - and the fact that you had that idiot Nigel Adkins as manager - his pronouncements to the press were cringeworthy!
Sally Taylor is Reading :cautious:

Many teams regard their closest rivals as 'the scum.' But are Southampton unique in that supporter of two clubs call them scummers?

It was not so many years ago Saints fans helped your little club out financially , as you stood shaking your penny buckets needing help like some poor backstreet charity fundraiser. Ever since then we have continued to help by loaning you players and watch you slowly climb the lower leagues in your 3 sided stadium to finally be in the position you find yourselves in today.

Most saints fans I know are still pretty confused as to where the hate for us comes from. I mean we understand it from a Pompey point of view with them being our rivals and all the history that goes with it etc.. but we don’t understand why you lot are so bothered. Is it because you don’t have anyone else to hate you felt you needed to create this imaginary one way rivalry between us? Is it jealousy? You can keep calling us scummers and we’ll just keep smiling right back , as to us you’ll always just be that little brother walking on right behind in our shadow.

:wave:
Where are you in the league again?

Only just caught up with this thread.
What is wrong with you lot?
I hate the bleedin’ scummers - because most of them spout the same shíte as the OP. They really think they saved our club.
Living in the New Forest I have had their patronising bollox for years.
I am also old enough to remember a bunch of dregs from Milton Rd regularly joining with away fans in the late 60’s to try to batter Bournemouth fans.

One song wankers - I despise them!

John Bond managed us in the seventies but, no Kevin Bond never managed us. Kevin Bond had some association with the club after Sean O'Driscoll and before Jimmy Quinn, but during that time were managerless.

Harsh I think, mistakes were made but that run to relegation was stunning, came so close to staying up

I hate the bleedin’ scummers - because most of them spout the same shíte as the OP. They really think they saved our club.
I am also old enough to remember a bunch of dregs from Milton Rd regularly joining with away fans in the late 60’s to try to batter Bournemouth fans.

I just can't take their patronising seriously - they are Southampton, a nothing club. Them trying to patronise anybody is laughable.

Harsh I think, mistakes were made but that run to relegation was stunning, came so close to staying up

A six game purple patch at the end of the season shouldn’t be enough to mask just how bad things were under Bond.

We were 7 points adrift of safety before administration and the points penalty.

Look at the names in that squad. It’s not like we were lacking quality due to financial reasons. We were lacking a competent manager.

https://bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/sprats-1-shrimps-4/

A six game purple patch at the end of the season shouldn’t be enough to mask just how bad things were under Bond.

We were 7 points adrift of safety before administration and the points penalty.

Look at the names in that squad. It’s not like we were lacking quality due to financial reasons. We were lacking a competent manager.

https://bournemouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/sprats-1-shrimps-4/

Funnily enough I read the Bond section of Meldrum's book last night. Very honest about his mistakes as is Warren Cummings - impossible working conditions though to be fair to him.

I accidentally many many years ago went on the Weymouth message board can’t remember why, got a right load of abuse .. they call us the “ red and black slime “...another one for the not a rival list .

Remember when we played them in the FA Cup in 1965 and we drew 0-0 at Dean Court.

Travelled down on the train for the evening replay, one or two snide comments as we walked to the ground.

Not happy bunnies after, we won 1-4.

Think it is the only time we have played them in a competitive competition.

Now probably people from Weymouth are amongst our fan base.

Last edited:
Saving Saints in April/May cancels out any debts we owed them!

Gary....I'd like to bring my train alongside yours if I can;
Saints for years were in different higher divisions than us ...so obviously they would get a natural superiority complex.
And.I had a sort of admiration for them for example when they beat Man U Fa cup final 76.......but now things have changed Massively and due to their attitude toward us I find myself getting Wound!...
Due to our Success of recent months and their Demise.....I really think they can't- their fans - keep us on Ignore any more....secretly, many of them are seeing us as a Derby. Not in the same way as Pompey but ' Building up '.
I remember being in a Fareham pub in the 80s and mentioned Boscombe . About 10 of them fell about laughing and gave me Hell with put down jokes...same as Watford nonsense. Christ, I'd love to find those Grinning 'Richard Heads' now!
I drink with a couple of ' saints' down here now and again....I'm the Laughing boy singing Dylan's 'Times they are a Changin'...while they sing Donovans ' Catch the Wind! . I'll Boss it down here.....You Rule the Forest!

Last edited:
The really bitter Saints/Pompey rivalry only really started back in the late 1960s when SFC emerged as a solid 1st Division club, and Pompey stagnated after a long period of decline from their peak in the immediate post-war period.

Could history repeat itself ?

;