'Slimey'

RobTrent

UTC Legend
Had a catch up with my brother earlier today along Bournemouth seafront. He was regaling me with stories about 70s away trips and the West Howe people that used to travel. He mentioned a character by the nickname of 'slimey' and I just wondered if that rang any bells on here.

Of course, all the stories he told me were about visits to different towns to check out their libraries and other cultural architecture.

Yes it does ring a bell, I’m not sure if his name was slimey. It was certainly similar.
Tall blonde haired bloke, what there was of it, original skinhead.

Was only thinking of that the other day, Slimey, Botley and Archie, Archie with his rolled up suit sleeves and 'tache they used to go with an old mate called Ringo Ridout, Boris will know him.

Never heard of slimey. Archie worked for the Post Office a while ago. I seem to recall being on a coach waiting for him to be released from the Police station in Newport.

Was only thinking of that the other day, Slimey, Botley and Archie, Archie with his rolled up suit sleeves and 'tache they used to go with an old mate called Ringo Ridout, Boris will know him.
Hi Robin. Ringo lives over in the IOW these days.
Just been talking to an old mate of mine called Gareth on the phone, I think you’ll remember him.
He is normally spot on with names from the past. But I think slimey has stumped him.

I remember him,he was a St. Peter’s school lad I think,would be about 65 now.He was in the East Stand for a few seasons.He was one of the south end skinheads

'Slimey' was Neil McMahn, not sure of spelling. First met him when he came along to make up the squad for Dean Court Supporters Sunday team, and became part of our small away gang for quite a few years travelling to away games on trains with the Under 25 railcard for half-price when it started, with a free trip anywhere thrown in which we naturally used for the furthest such as Carlisle or Darlington.
Many stories to be told about Neil and those days on long drunken trips up north in the fourth and third divisions to walkaround grounds when mostly there would only be a handfull of us stood there singing.
Neil was introduced to the team by a friend Mick Baker, they worked together for a glazing company, who I met again for the first time in over 35 years, outside a pub in Luton last season.
I believe Neil passed away many years ago though but not sure of the reason.

'Slimey' was Neil McMahn, not sure of spelling. First met him when he came along to make up the squad for Dean Court Supporters Sunday team, and became part of our small away gang for quite a few years travelling to away games on trains with the Under 25 railcard for half-price when it started, with a free trip anywhere thrown in which we naturally used for the furthest such as Carlisle or Darlington.
Many stories to be told about Neil and those days on long drunken trips up north in the fourth and third divisions to walkaround grounds when mostly there would only be a handfull of us stood there singing.
Neil was introduced to the team by a friend Mick Baker, they worked together for a glazing company, who I met again for the first time in over 35 years, outside a pub in Luton last season.
I saw slimey in the east stand five years ago

In fact we picked Slimey up from East Howe to take him to a game in about 14/15 season,is that Mick Baker the same one who goes to all the games now,about 60 years of age,used to have blonde hair

Thanks for that. I can stop trying to think of his name now.

I remember him,he was a St. Peter’s school lad I think,would be about 65 now.He was in the East Stand for a few seasons.He was one of the south end skinheads
Cheers hillview.
When you say St Peters, do you mean Gareth or Slimey?
Gareth is 66 (he went to St. Peter’s) I thought slimey was a bit older.

Last edited:

;