Smug Eddie

The thing that amazes me about that lot is the complete disregard for their history prior to moving to that ground.

It's as if they think we buy into it too and also disregard the fact that we've played them well over 100 times over the years - they have literally been at the same level as us for the majority of their history.

Then there's the apparent disregard for our struggle for a new ground, which is entirely down to the historic issues we've had from being skint. Of all the sets of supporters in the world that should understand how poor decisions from previous owners can leave you stuck in situations that are less than ideal it should be them, but no.

Then there's the weird notion that their sugar daddy is better than ours... now I'm sure those wonderfully woke folk of Brighton aren't suggesting this is because there's is English and ours is foreign but I'm not seeing much else to distinguish them.

Football is tribal. Fans are always looking at ways to differentiate themselves from the other teams. It's the bond that unites them, and many fans care more about that than whether it is true or not. It's a behaviour mirrored in all the cults across the world.

It's a yearning for identity and belonging in a world that often strips us of it. We often forget the things which unite us as different factions with love for the same sport.

That said I hope we effin smash them inbred sc*m barstewards up the road next Saturday.

It's funny, I actually see the way that we let the opposition have more possession as an evolution of our playing style rather than a negative. Obviously it only works if you are in control ie can break down attacks and counter quickly and penetratively. When done well like against Brighton and Chelsea it plays to our forwards strengths. But I agree that there have also been games where we have struggled to gain a foothold and have been chasing shadows, like against Leicester for example. Primarily though we need to be able to mix things up and not just rely on a single approach.

I agree we definitely can't say everything is fixed just yet, but there should be no reason to go back to a Burnley type performance now that players have had reward for playing with passion and belief.

Agree with the thoughts. Eddie realised that AFCB were leaking goals by playing the type of football we were. By tightening up the back it has meant that the team has had to play on the break. The good thing is that the team going forward has pace to burn many defenders even in the Premier League. I remember watching Josh King cruise past Kyle Walker when he played for Spurs who looked perplexed that a player from AFCB could hunt him down.

Then there's the weird notion that their sugar daddy is better than ours... now I'm sure those wonderfully woke folk of Brighton aren't suggesting this is because there's is English and ours is foreign but I'm not seeing much else to distinguish them.

Deleted as northstandmark got there first!

Add the fact that our rich owner works in petrochemicals and so is obviously dodgy shady and bent. Whereas their rich owner runs a professional gambling syndicate, which is obviously whiter than white, and far morally superior?

But he's a lifelong fan don't you know. He may have delivered a PL stadium out of other peoples misfortune but lets see how deep he digs where it actually matters. That bloody great flag thing at their end 'Tony Blooms Blue and White army', what a contrast to our reserved and unassuming owner. Its almost like look at me I own the place (and these fans) and just seems ever so slightly conceited.

But....they have a decent size Stadium.....and we aint......so how can Bloom have any negative stuff sticking to him from us ....it just doesnt make sense to me !

Re Smug Eddie taunts from Brighton, their predicament shows the wisdom of (1) Eddie not getting the team distracted by fa cup runs if not safe from relegation and (2) the board continuing to prioritise investment on the pitch short-term to ensure we stay up.

Neither strategy is popular with many afcb fans (and I hope both will change soon) but this has helped to keep us up for a 5th season in the prem.

Re Smug Eddie taunts from Brighton, their predicament shows the wisdom of (1) Eddie not getting the team distracted by fa cup runs if not safe from relegation and (2) the board continuing to prioritise investment on the pitch short-term to ensure we stay up.

Neither strategy is popular with many afcb fans (and I hope both will change soon) but this has helped to keep us up for a 5th season in the prem.
Continuing investment in the team has to be the priority EVERY season. If there is a bit of dosh left then the training ground. The stadium situation will be resolved as we get nearer the end of our lease at DC.

Some truth in this but he certainly came in for a lot of stick about his tactics and training abilities.

I just have an issue with us patting ourselves on the back for being such a wonderful set of fans a week after this place was an absolute bunfight with everyone being blamed for inevitable relegation next year.

The reaction after the Burnley game wasn’t just about that game. It was a release after 24 games with 5 wins (two against Huddersfield who everyone beats). The performances were also getting worse not better and the effort seemed to not be there.

It was probably needed as well. I think it helped frame the players minds that we do expect more. Not in terms of results but in terms of application. We also expect the tactics to be better. Eddie came out after the game and admirably said that he and the players had been getting it wrong lately. So this kind of backed up the fans reaction to me.

They then used this as an impetus to put things right and owe the fans one...which they delivered and got the ovation that performance deserved.

I think we are in danger of over analysis of what is a very common occurrence at football teams world wide outside of he games giants.

The reaction after the Burnley game wasn’t just about that game. It was a release after 24 games with 5 wins (two against Huddersfield who everyone beats). The performances were also getting worse not better and the effort seemed to not be there.

It was probably needed as well. I think it helped frame the players minds that we do expect more. Not in terms of results but in terms of application. We also expect the tactics to be better. Eddie came out after the game and admirably said that he and the players had been getting it wrong lately. So this kind of backed up the fans reaction to me.

They then used this as an impetus to put things right and owe the fans one...which they delivered and got the ovation that performance deserved.

I think we are in danger of over analysis of what is a very common occurrence at football teams world wide outside of he games giants.

All fine but the point I was arguing against was that we are apparently better than other fans and are a reason Eddie should stay loyal. We are not.

All fine but the point I was arguing against was that we are apparently better than other fans and are a reason Eddie should stay loyal. We are not.

I think we are better. Through work I have been to lots of different grounds and sat in home ends and there are many clubs where the fans turn on the team the minute they go one down...West Ham, Chelsea, Sunderland, Everton spring to mind. I think we are generally excellent with putting up with the games ebbs and flows.

I do agree with you that it shouldn’t keep Eddie here. If he sees an opportunity that will maximise his talent further he has earned the right to go and owes us nothing after what he has achieved.

When we first came up it was almost unanimous on here that if we went down EH should be kept and given a chance to bring us straight back up. He's since moved our expectations that much that, sadly, if we got dragged into a relegation battle I suspect a sizeable portion would now call for his head.

Sure, he's been given the board backing to be a PL level team and so he should be able to keep us up with what we're spending but that doesn't alter the fact that bad season's can happen. Even if we're dire for a year, I would still hope the fans and board stick with him and give him the time to turn it around. Of course, happily we currently aren't anywhere near that situation.

Meanwhile, on NSC some are calling for Allardyce to come in and save them. Please can we make a pact that no matter what happens, nobody ever does that here?

When we first came up it was almost unanimous on here that if we went down EH should be kept and given a chance to bring us straight back up. He's since moved our expectations that much that, sadly, if we got dragged into a relegation battle I suspect a sizeable portion would now call for his head.

Sure, he's been given the board backing to be a PL level team and so he should be able to keep us up with what we're spending but that doesn't alter the fact that bad season's can happen. Even if we're dire for a year, I would still hope the fans and board stick with him and give him the time to turn it around. Of course, happily we currently aren't anywhere near that situation.

Meanwhile, on NSC some are calling for Allardyce to come in and save them. Please can we make a pact that no matter what happens, nobody ever does that here?

I’ve always said if we go down we will need a manager who has won the championship. There aren’t many about but we currently have one. To get rid is therefore madness, just as Brighton should keep Hughton as he took them up and is a good championship manager.

The decision on all the promoted managers shouldn’t be should they be allowed to stay if the club goes down. It should be are they the right person to adapt and get top 14 in the Prem regularly. I think that’s why Warnock is rarely kept. Eddie to me proves easily the case on both counts. I still think he could be even better though and if ever I get frustrated it’s because I think he deserves it and sometimes it’s obvious (but I could be wrong!).

Eddie has the right message - don’t go over the top after a good result and don’t get fearful after a poor one. Above all, never forget how much of an achievement it is we are here and back the team during the game. That doesn’t mean, though, that we should tolerate awful performances like Burnley and Leicester just because ten years ago we were in league 2.

The point about consistency is that the top players have it but lesser players struggle more to reach top levels of performance. That’s why they play at Afcb!

I didn’t get too carried away by the Brighton stuffing last week and not going to overreact to a defeat to Fulham yesterday. Margins between victory and defeat are slim in this league.

I didn’t get too carried away by the Brighton stuffing last week and not going to overreact to a defeat to Fulham yesterday. Margins between victory and defeat are slim in this league.

They are indeed, which is why when the players efforts drop we invariably lose.

Tactics from limited options from the bench stifled us yesterday and we struggled, but there's no back to the wall mentality in this current team.

They have cruised through the final half of the season, knowing that their Premier League wages were confirmed for another season.

They are indeed, which is why when the players efforts drop we invariably lose.

Tactics from limited options from the bench stifled us yesterday and we struggled, but there's no back to the wall mentality in this current team.

They have cruised through the final half of the season, knowing that their Premier League wages were confirmed for another season.

I agree billy. Shouldn’t forget that inns number of home games last season we were losing/struggling but turned it around. Often moussett came on and played great cameo roles but this hadn’t happened last season. I still think though we had enough chances to score yesterday to win that game.

;