Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Grimsby home great escape

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Grimsby Wembley

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Forest promotion 1-0

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
The play off final at Cardiff should be in there somewhere. More for the complete day and experience as well as the game and some superb goals.

Well, that's a bold statement.

My favourite will always be the 4-3 against West Ham...great game, hilarious interaction with the home fans, and all round a great day out. As "matchday experiences" go, one of the best. Hic.

So many defining games in our history on this list and they all mean something for different reasons. My best ever would probably be the 1984 win v Utd - I was only 18 and it felt unreal at the time. Yesterday would rank as our best ever away win for me

This is an excellent subject to debate because it all comes down how each of us personally experienced a particular match.

There are so many criteria that we might apply. The obvious one is the significance of the match: Fulham (1987), Bolton at home or Charlton would all come into this.

Then there's the sheer relief of retrieving a seemingly impossible situation e.g. Shrewsbury at home under Mel Machin or Chester away or Grimsby at home with Eddie. There are a number of comback matches too, such as the away win at Florist last season

The occasion itself. We've played in two cup finals in the last 40 years and won half of them. Who could forget the playoff final at Cardiff or the 2-0 win at Burton which seemed, at the time, like we had won the FA Cup!

The wins against big clubs, Man U in the FA cup at home, three wins against Chelsea and, of course, Saturday's result.

There are the matches that were end-to-end or produced an exciting finish. Last season at Spurs or the oft-cited 4-3 win at West Ham.

Beating local rivals is extremely satisfying and there have been memorable wins against the Biscuits, Seaweed, Scummers and others. Several of which also come under the significant match category.

There's the interaction with other fans: "you're only here for the season," "you're getting sacked in the morning," "the big day out," " we want one, we want one!" Most people will know which matches I'm referring to.

There were probably lots of other categories that one might personally chose to apply. One of mine will be engaging in a huge struggle to get there but then finding it was all worth it. There are plenty of criteria to apply.

Then there are odd matches that are just joyful. The 3-0 away wins at Blackburn, the season before last and Shrewsbury (2013), for example.

Being there is an important factor. I missed the 5-1 at Fulham, as well as the Bolton 3-0. So they will never quite get into my first division of greatest matches.

Then, obviously there are matches that come into more than one category. That's why Saturday's win at OT must be up there with the greatest. However, I wouldn't and couldn't choose just one. I've got a list that probably is somewhere between 20 to 50 matches long.

Thanks for the memories, Boscombe.

Last edited:
Having been away for so many years the Man United FA Cup 2-0 was personally the best for me that I was at the ground to witness.

Have followed the club religiously despite being absent from the UK for over 25 years and get up at silly o'clock to watch each and every game now we are in the PL.

Saturdays win sure was special, and no doubt will be the pinnacle for quite a number of fans for different reasons.

The 2-0 FA Cup triumph was special, because this really was little old Bournemouth against a team many divisions above us, we were worlds apart.

As Erik says, there is no right or wrong answer, it's all down to personal preference.

Went for Bolton as it's the only football game that's nearly made me cry. I agree with DJ though, the Chester game was the most pivotal in recent years, it made the Grimsby game redundant in the end. What we have been through and what Chester have been through since that season are worlds apart and had we lost, we could very well have been on their path.

Best game v best result - the former is wholly subjective but the latter is not. Which of our results have made the football world sit up most ? I think the weekends United game tops the lot - even the the great results against Chelsea. My favourite game - Charlton away - Bolton at home was just too anxiety ridden. Charlton was pressure off - a celebration from the start, a great game and a huge away support to share it with AND the icing on the cake winning the league.

I’ve gone Bolton, but Saturday is up there. Another honorable mention is the 2-0 home win against Southampton 15/16 season. It was a night game, against them up the road and, although I wasn’t there, the whole stadium seemed to be singing Eddie had a dream. Although we weren’t safe, this win felt like we were.

Best game v best result - the former is wholly subjective but the latter is not. Which of our results have made the football world sit up most ? I think the weekends United game tops the lot - even the the great results against Chelsea. My favourite game - Charlton away - Bolton at home was just too anxiety ridden. Charlton was pressure off - a celebration from the start, a great game and a huge away support to share it with AND the icing on the cake winning the league.
Anxiety leading up to the game and relief when Pugh finally got that goal puts that game top for me. Then feeling proud all summer waiting for the fixture list to start.

Chester was a top day..Seem to remember I was the only person/idiot who payed to gain entry on the side!!
I remember that, although I never worked out how it happened, just walked through an open gate and found myself almost on the pitch

Another late entry for its personal context- Hereford 1-1 at home 1982. I was 17 and had never seen a successful afcb sude. We’d just been promoted at Bradford the week before and the Hereford match was a celebration on a glorious sunny afternoon. Crowd of 10,000 was big for us at that time

It's funny how you remember different goals and events and how important these things are to you personally. The goal that gave me the most euphoria at a live game was Marcus Oldbury's last kick of the game equalizer v Watford in Oct 1995. I went absolutely nutty !! It felt so amazing. We had fought hard all night and just gone behind. We had no hope. Then we kick off, attack and he just smacks it as hard as he can from the corner of the penalty area and it flies in. I was right behind the goal. Not sure he scored any other goals for us before he disappeared into obscurity. But he gave me that goal and I will always remember it.

This is a great thread. How about a change of direction - what do you consider to be our most gut-wrenching defeat? I’m sure a few relegation games will be in there but for sheer last-minute nausea, Arsenal away last season will take some beating!

Bournemouth 0 - 4 Rochdale
Not a defeat but that Notts county come back near stsrt of thst league 1 season after both clubs promoted, abd we had a mini rivalry going on was one of the most angriest/upset times leaving Dean Court for me.

Think we were 2 or 3 up and coasting. Then they scored 2 or 3 tines towards end.

County player we couldn't stabd (not the convict, another one... making w4nker gestures right in front of us whilst celebrating...)and their fans next to me in East centre goading us, celebrating... i was f***King furious! I'm usually OK at shrugging off defeats, but that was the closest I've been to doing something impulsive I'd no doubt regret at a football match :D

I think that game caused me to still feel anxious in matches now when 2 up before full time whistle...

Last edited:
I remember that, although I never worked out how it happened, just walked through an open gate and found myself almost on the pitch
I was the 1st in line, I paid and the steward just opened the bloody gate, asked him for my money back but he laughed and told me to “be on your way” or something like that..absolute top day from meeting in the pub opposite the station to getting back on about 6/7 hours later..will live long in the memory

This is a great thread. How about a change of direction - what do you consider to be our most gut-wrenching defeat? I’m sure a few relegation games will be in there but for sheer last-minute nausea, Arsenal away last season will take some beating!
Northampton 6-0 AFCB

This was just about 5 years after peak Bond and was terrible. I was ‘studying’ in Coventry at the time and persuaded a friend to take me. It was my first away game and probably toughened me up for future years!

At least we drew the second half 0-0.

It’s on YouTube if you’re ever feeling masochistic.

;