Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Grimsby home great escape

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Grimsby Wembley

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Forest promotion 1-0

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
The Leeds defeat was worse than the Arsenal defeat for me. Arsenal were a very good team, Leeds weren’t and it was a relegation battle. Going 2-0 up and then sitting further and further back, making defensive subs, allowing them to get their hacked off crowd back on side until eventually they sent that crowd into mocking ecstasy….

However surely our worst defeat in recent times has to be the 2-0 home defeat to Burton. When you are second bottom and play the team that’s bottom at home, one that looked and played like a pub team yet still won comfortably….

It sparked the arrival of Eddie but we didn’t know that at the moment of watching it.

It's funny how you remember different goals and events and how important these things are to you personally. The goal that gave me the most euphoria at a live game was Marcus Oldbury's last kick of the game equalizer v Watford in Oct 1995. I went absolutely nutty !! It felt so amazing. We had fought hard all night and just gone behind. We had no hope. Then we kick off, attack and he just smacks it as hard as he can from the corner of the penalty area and it flies in. I was right behind the goal. Not sure he scored any other goals for us before he disappeared into obscurity. But he gave me that goal and I will always remember it.
I was there and felt exactly the same. I’m sure that a couple of first teamers not playing that night were standing on the south end that night and were running up and down “the yellows” like madmen

The Leeds defeat was worse than the Arsenal defeat for me. Arsenal were a very good team, Leeds weren’t and it was a relegation battle. Going 2-0 up and then sitting further and further back, making defensive subs, allowing them to get their hacked off crowd back on side until eventually they sent that crowd into mocking ecstasy….

However surely our worst defeat in recent times has to be the 2-0 home defeat to Burton. When you are second bottom and play the team that’s bottom at home, one that looked and played like a pub team yet still won comfortably….

It sparked the arrival of Eddie but we didn’t know that at the moment of watching it.
Barnet I think and yes we were dreadful that afternoon

A gut wrenching defeat was 2-1 to Wimbledon just after Christmas 1978. It was a fa cup 2nd round replay. Ted scored for us and securing a home tie with Southampton was minutes away. Our keeper dropped the ball from a corner for them to equalise then they won in extra time with a scrambled goal

A gut wrenching defeat was 2-1 to Wimbledon just after Christmas 1978. It was a fa cup 2nd round replay. Ted scored for us and securing a home tie with Southampton was minutes away. Our keeper dropped the ball from a corner for them to equalise then they won in extra time with a scrambled goal
Also a cup replay at home to Wycombe Wanderers when enter forward John Wingate had to play the second half in goal.

The Macclesfield home game loss under Quinn was also excruciating. Played against ten men for almost 70 minutes and never really looked like winning.

I also remember being devastated after the 1-0 home loss to Newcastle in our first Prem season. They were awful and we somehow still contrived to lose - walking home in silence with my friend and Dad after that I genuinely thought we might not have what it takes to stay up.

This is a great thread. How about a change of direction - what do you consider to be our most gut-wrenching defeat? I’m sure a few relegation games will be in there but for sheer last-minute nausea, Arsenal away last season will take some beating!

This game also falls into my category of the best game that I've seen. Huddersfield away in the L1 play-offs second leg. Finished 3-3 and lost on penalties. It just had everything, thought we were going to get battered in the first 20 minutes, the Steve Lovell goals. Ings actually putting us in front in extra time and daring to dream. Kilbane not getting sent off despite pushing the ref, then Jason Pearce being sent off. The gut wrenching way of losing on penalties, and the subsequent dismantling of the team straight after.

I can only conclude that because there are so many of them that they all just blend into one. From the times of O’Driscoll, Bond, Quinn, Bradbury.

Of the recent ones. Palace and Southampton annoyed me the most.

One of the most gut wrenching ones wasn’t even a defeat. The 3-3 at home to Arsenal having been 3-0 up still grates.

;