So what will be our best midfield then?

Topfarrier

UTC Legend
If Lerma and Pearo are to be the 2 in a 4231 who plays the 10 role? Wilshere ....Billing....Brooks or Stan?

Who makes up the 3 in a 433?.....Lerma....Cook ....Pearo?.....but that obviously means Wilshere misses out.

I think if we are to play a 2 in midfield it has to be Lerma and Pearo especially with a back 4.....when you think of the amount of shots Bego has faced recently compared with tonight!.....they just complimented each other really well.......if we play a 3 it could be a choice between Lewis and Jack!....a tough choice for some of you! :grinning:

Has to be Wilshere, the guy is at another level. Stan and Brookes can play wide. Don't know where that leaves Billing and L Cook. L Cook looked a bit lost out wide tonight.

Imo I don’t think I’ve ever felt more comfortable watching a Bournemouth team defending a one nil lead as I was with Lerma and Pearson protecting the back four, so these two have to play for me. The other position is the interesting one. I believe that to carry enough of a threat then we need a player who is comfortable pushing high and supporting the attacks, so for me based on tonight Billing should keep his place in behind the striker. Incredibly harsh on Jack Wilshere (who is undoubtedly the better footballer) but I believe that this combination gives us our best blend, and at the end of the day it’s about the team and not individuals.

Imo I don’t think I’ve ever felt more comfortable watching a Bournemouth team defending a one nil lead as I was with Lerma and Pearson protecting the back four, so these two have to play for me. The other position is the interesting one. I believe that to carry enough of a threat then we need a player who is comfortable pushing high and supporting the attacks, so for me based on tonight Billing should keep his place in behind the striker. Incredibly harsh on Jack Wilshere (who is undoubtedly the better footballer) but I believe that this combination gives us our best blend, and at the end of the day it’s about the team and not individuals.
Good points Waz.

For me if Wilshere is fit he’s second on the team sheet (after Bego). I think depending on the game we can alternate between two of Pearson, Cook and Lerma for the two. Billing was really good tonight but one swallow doesn’t make a summer and I don’t think Wilshere will last 90 in many games. A nice problem to have.

For me if Wilshere is fit he’s second on the team sheet (after Bego). I think depending on the game we can alternate between two of Pearson, Cook and Lerma for the two. Billing was really good tonight but one swallow doesn’t make a summer and I don’t think Wilshere will last 90 in many games. A nice problem to have.
It is a dilemma as Wilshere is our best midfielder for sure, but he himself has admitted that he doesn’t see himself as a number 10 anymore. Pearson and Lerma are out and out defensive midfielders, meaning that imo the third would have to be more attack minded. Especially given the opposition’s tendency to sit back against us at this level.

I think tonight we saw a good set up for away games. Lerma and Pearson worked well together and although Billing put in his best performance for a long time, Wilshire is a level above anything else we have so I would start with him instead.
For home games we will have to be a bit more on the front foot as teams have sussed out that putting 15 men behind the ball negates anything we can do. Maybe only one of Lerma or Pearson needed as a defensive midfield so push another further upfield to keep the pressure on the opposition. We certainly have a top quality midfield to choose from.

I think tonight we saw a good set up for away games. Lerma and Pearson worked well together and although Billing put in his best performance for a long time, Wilshire is a level above anything else we have so I would start with him instead.
For home games we will have to be a bit more on the front foot as teams have sussed out that putting 15 men behind the ball negates anything we can do. Maybe only one of Lerma or Pearson needed as a defensive midfield so push another further upfield to keep the pressure on the opposition. We certainly have a top quality midfield to choose from.
Teams are not coming to park the bus against us anymore.....SW and Birmingham are about as defensive as they come but they had a right go at us....we've been far too 'nice' to play against.....only having Lewis Cook shielding our back 4 cost JT his job....

To go on a good run we need consistency in spite of the variations different teams present to us. We can't expect to chop and change now to suit every opponent and maintain any fluidity.

Therefore, if we go on overall consistent form this year, Lewis deserves to retain his place as does Stan but the later further forward. Then on inconsistency Lerma and Billing can't jump straight to top just because of a couple of performances where they've turned up.

Pearson looks reliable and would want to see he and Cook have a go, feels more attack minded because they would cover each other as they step forward.

Wilshere may not be PL 10 anymore, but at this level he has way to much. If he is fit he plays.

The challenge is that Danjuma hasn't played much and Brooks isn't at his best, so there is only room for one if Surridge/Long/Solanke are line strikers.

That may upset people raving about Phil's display tonight, but without his highlights during the game we would be talking about how he walks back when he loses ball far too often.

Any idea who would be next up if he's not in the game?
Rules Question: Provided he is available and hasn't started, could he be substituted into a game to take a penalty?
It's a good question. Who would take a penalty if Stan wasn't there?

I think Wilshere would fancy it. Failing that, you have to look at your striker..... Solanke.

Will be a nice headache for the new manager with plenty of talent in our midfield. Sometimes picking the right players for a certain game and then others for another opponent

I think you are right but this is only one game, the first time for a while we played like a team. Backs -midfield - forwards all played together. I like the look of Pearson he is good on the ball & he can defend . He for me was exceptional on his debut. Burnley are no mugs they are a physical side even if they played a untried centre backs. I think Surridge also played very well he held the ball when he had too. I think Woodgate has the hardest job picking a team from the players you are all stating. But maybe with Harrys help & guidance he will do a very good job. I am looking forward to the forest game!!!!!

;