Something for the oldies.

Personally I preferred Ollie Kite. Found Hargreaves a bit of a 'know it all' at times.
View attachment 6250
I remember him; black and white 425 lines! He used to speak very gently on the television with a countryman's accent. However, my brother, who to this day is a very fine fly fisherman, got to appear on a televised programme fronted by Ollie Kite, in Salisbury I think it was, along with a dozen others. It was raining I remember and I went along as a bit of mutual support for my brother – he can't have been more than seven or eight. My job was to look interested for the cameras! What shocked me at the time was that Ollie Kite was nothing like his television persona; he stomped up and down the river bank f'ing and blinding, must have scared any trout for miles. Anyway I never looked at him the same way again although I did enjoy his programmes.

I was born at Longham - at home in one of the old houses between the bridge and Bridge House (the old one) that were demolished when the road there was widened.

I have quite a few pics of myself paddling and playing in the river there - although as I was only 4 when we had to move I remember it better for going back fishing and swimming in later years. Always fun trying to balance the rod and fishing gear on the bike - not sure I would fancy doing it these days with the road traffic now.

Shame to see the part by the bridge so overgrown now - there used to be two proper parts to the river there with a wide section right by the road before it was allowed to grow over a lot.

There are some pretty 'nasty' posts that should never be allowed on various other social media and newspaper sites. I wonder if they are really moderated properly.

They're not moderated. Legally it’s best to leave them unmoderated and operate an alert system and remove posts following complaints rather than being actively moderated.

Same as this forum. For example, I hadn’t viewed this thread (the topic title clearly states I don’t qualify), by the the time I had reacted to the complaints for a post, the thread has self moderated itself with the poster removing the offending post themselves.

"Say what you will
School dinners make you ill
Davy Crockett died of apple pie..."

We used to sing this at school to the tune of Out Of Town - can't remember how it continued. Can anyone help ?

Up and down the Alder Hills, then get past the West Howe and East Howe mushers, then through the Kinson wild west.....................................You were a brave lad !!!
Used to cycle down West Howe Road to get to the swimming baths. Had to cycle fast to avoid the dogs.

Upper Parkstone to Longham as a 13year old by pushbike for a picnic ( bottle of corona and crisps ) messed about in the river until the cycle back..........seemed a very long way to me then my trip to the country............................

A great homage to the old days ….

Its hard to think of what it was like near Longham Bridge before the Millhams tip was built. It was a great piece of country between Longham and Kinson. Back then you could drive all the way along Millhams Lane from the Stour, over the bridge crossing the stream and past the old church and come out by Pelhams park. Spent most of my childhood round there. The old "smugglers" tunnel by the church was legendary amongst us kids, you could crawl a long way down it until it got blocked off by the council.
Often fished the Stour anywhere from Longham to Dudsbury.
We spent a good few Sundays in the area, had a friend who lived in Berrans Ave, he had a portable record player and his mum was Milf of the year, good cook too. we would go and watch Sunday morning football at Pelhams then walk along the river past the girl guides camp through the woods to the Dudsbury, had a few beers, then during the afternoon back down along the river to have a smoke, listen to music and go skinny dipping, then in the evening we wouldwalk over to the Kings Arms pub to play Shove-Hapenny.
The early 70's was a great time to be in and around the Bournemouth area, with good bands performing every week.

We spent a good few Sundays in the area, had a friend who lived in Berrans Ave, he had a portable record player and his mum was Milf of the year, good cook too. we would go and watch Sunday morning football at Pelhams then walk along the river past the girl guides camp through the woods to the Dudsbury, had a few beers, then during the afternoon back down along the river to have a smoke, listen to music and go skinny dipping, then in the evening we wouldwalk over to the Kings Arms pub to play Shove-Hapenny.
The early 70's was a great time to be in and around the Bournemouth area, with good bands performing every week.
Late 60’s early 70’s I would say, before the days of stadium concerts. I remember seeing the likes of The Beatles and Stones (Gaumont), Bowie, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd (Winter Gardens), Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, Ten Years After (The Ritz) even Hendrix at the Pavilion I think. And of course Poole’s own, Tony Blackburn :wagging:

Late 60’s early 70’s I would say, before the days of stadium concerts. I remember seeing the likes of The Beatles and Stones (Gaumont), Bowie, Roxy Music, Pink Floyd (Winter Gardens), Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac, Ten Years After (The Ritz) even Hendrix at the Pavilion I think. And of course Poole’s own, Tony Blackburn :wagging:

50 years ago, concerts were cheap and LPs were expensive - around £2.25/£2.50 for a new chart release, which is about £35 in today's money. I recall a new LP cost me around two weeks' paper round money, so it wasn't a transaction to be entered into lightly.

But gigs were cheap, as they were seen as the way to drive LP sales. It cost me 50p, yes a whole 50p to see Bowie at Worthing Assembly Hall in early 1972 just as the Ziggy bandwagon started to roll.

Also, because amplification technology was still pretty basic, the whole stadium rock thing didn't really exist. So you could get to see all the top bands of the day at your local concert hall for a very reasonable price.

These days, recorded music is basically free, while the ticket to see a top international artist is likely to be £100+. So the economics of the music biz have kind of been turned upside down.

Last edited:

;