southgate must go.

Agree, I'm somewhat pleased to see him stay. As no realistic alternatives, would rather Southgate remains, than potentially destabilize things, making some mediocre appointment. To state the obvious, absolutely crucial we appoint the right man when the time comes, rather than 'well, he was the best person who was interested/available.'

It's a funny one really because this world cup performance felt like trending water for Southgate. He performed no better or worse than you'd expect. If he'd have got knocked out in the group, lost to Senegal or even got battered by France then he'd have gone I think. Beat France and I think he'd have had people singing his praises. As it is he just did ok and many of us are not fussed either way about him.

I'd say give him one more go, then again if he loses in the final of euro 2024 beating a couple of big top ten sides in the process then I don't know where that leaves us.

It's a funny one really because this world cup performance felt like trending water for Southgate. He performed no better or worse than you'd expect. If he'd have got knocked out in the group, lost to Senegal or even got battered by France then he'd have gone I think. Beat France and I think he'd have had people singing his praises. As it is he just did ok and many of us are not fussed either way about him.

I'd say give him one more go, then again if he loses in the final of euro 2024 beating a couple of big top ten sides in the process then I don't know where that leaves us.

Yes exactly. Again fine margins thing, if Kane scored that pen, which 8-9 times out of 10 he would, game could have gone to extra time and we win on pens. We weren't outclassed in anyway by the French imo, that would have been more concerning. As it is, we are a top 5 or 6 country in the world. Other teams won;t be viewing as an easy tie at all.

Difficult to quantify isn;t it, as in, if we somehow appointed the perfect man for the job, would he give as un extra % or 2 that means we are more convincing v the best sides - not that we aren;t already. Still a chance we could have the perfect boss, and still go out to France or whoever. Its not like every other strong nation receeds, or stagnates as we get stronger, unless you have some kind of Leicester-esque freak period, which possible happened 4 years ago at the world cup.

As I said before, until we can make an exceptional appointment, and even then no guarantees it'd work out, I'm satisified with Southgate. Not like we appoint Guardiola, therefore assuring finals for his entire tenure - look at his tournament record under City v league campaigns.

Also should be noted, that many say the squad unity under Southgate is exceptional. You could bring in a 'better' manager, who's ideas, background is elite level, but the old cliques/cross club boundaries we seep in again , despite playing more attractive styles, but that slight drop in togetherness ultimately costs you in a tournament, with the end result being the same as it is now.

I have no doubt our players/team are as good as any other in the world (with the exception of cb's (hopefully Tomori will continue to develop at MIlan) and genuine contender/alternative to Kane).. On a given day in a tournament, we shouldn;t be worried about anyone. Can we find someone that plays attractive football, forges strong unity and guides as to winning a tournament - same question all the other strong nations are probably asking.

Last edited:
Many of the better teams are struggling at the moment, Italy, Spain, Germany.
Then look at his results in the Nations League. Disappointing to say the least.

;